closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have just been ripped off by a dealer on Chrono24

Master

I have just been ripped off by a dealer on Chrono24

Bought an IWC watchstrap - supposedly standard length Black 20 x 18 croco (IWA11534) for 243 Euros all up including shipping and trusted checkout fees.

What arrived today was a hideous piece of cheapo thin, embossed leather - marks on it say DSAU and A19247 - that doesn't seem to be a real IWC code number. It's not even 20mm, it seems like 21 x 18. Having recently sold a 3706 chronograph that used this very strap, I know exactly what it should look and feel like. No IWC tag or packaging as you'd also expect when buying this strap. (When I bought a brown IWC-Santoni strap for my bracelet-version Mark XVIII Petit Prince recently from the IWC boutique in London, it came in a lovely white IWC signed cardboard box).

I complained right away - strap was here when I got home from work. Just sent in a small jiffy bag.

I'm actually very shocked as it's from an apparently reputable dealer in Spain, 'Trusted Seller' since 2008, bricks and mortar shop and professional web site.

What could be going on here? Dodgy employee? I'm really quite worried, it's a fair amount of cash to lose. Anyone been in this sort of situation with Chrono24. I have no idea how they will deal with this, I assume tomorrow morning when they open.

Paid with credit card (as I try to do for online purchases). Not going to name the dealer quite yet - I'm hoping for a straightfoward resolution to this but who knows ... appreciate any advice from people who might have been hit the same way?

It does appear to be a correct number.

http://www.iwc.com/forum/en/discussion/49165/

The strap also looks fine to me, perhaps it's just not to your liking so why not ask them if you can return it?

https://www.acejewelers.com/en/iwc-w...ather-iwa19247
    Last edited by Morning Wood; 14th March 2017 at 23:19.

Grand Master
    Out of interest why didn't you just goto IWC London to buy it?
    RIAC

Master
    Was the box that you expected, listed as part of the sale?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Was the box that you expected, listed as part of the sale?
    I didn't say I was expecting a box (and don't really care about the box one way or the other), I said the IWC-Santoni strap came in a box. I was expecting the correct strap. Box or no box I was certainly expecting it to be new in the original marked bag. It was supposed to be a new strap.

As for why I didn't go to the IWC boutique for it they were an absolute pain to deal with and took an age to order the strap in and post it out, I thought I could save a few ££ and get it faster (I paid about two thirds of the list price).
    Last edited by kk; 14th March 2017 at 23:17.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
    It does appear to be a correct number.

http://www.iwc.com/forum/en/discussion/49165/

The strap also looks fine to me, perhaps it's just not to your liking so why not ask them if you can return it?
    1) It's not the correct strap, 20 x 18 was advertised, this is 21 x 18.
    2) It's a cheap, thin piece of shit. I do know what a croc strap is supposed to look like (indeed, as I say above I sold a watch with the 20mm croc strap only a month or so back). It doesn't look like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kk View Post
    2) It's a cheap, thin piece of shit. I do know what a croc strap is supposed to look like (indeed, as I say above I sold a watch with the 20mm croc strap only a month or so back). It doesn't look like this.
    So return it then.

Why are you getting angry with everyone on here just because you tried to save a few bob and got stung?

With the trusted seller checkout you have 14 days to return.

I think you need to calm down and check the facts, the IWA19247 strap is in fact 21/18mm. It sounds to me that it's a genuine strap and you just don't like what you have bought.
    My advice is just ask them if you can return it and move on.

Hello

It's understandable that you are a little upset that it's not what you expected and you are unhappy with it. But your attitude to other forum members who are are trying to advise you and be helpful is not helping you. And is completely uncalled for.

I suggest you contact the seller and also speak with your Credit Card company to see if they can assist you.

Then maybe come back on here and update the post and apologise for your attitude.

Master
    I think you need to calm down and check the facts, the IWA19247 strap is in fact 21/18mm. It sounds to me that it's a genuine strap and you just don't like what you have bought.
    My advice is just ask them if you can return it and move on.

It's a thin, cheap fake. What's depressing here is that no-one seems bothered about that.

Master
    Return it and chalk it down to experience.

Caveat emptor next time buddy

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

It's a thin, cheap fake. What's depressing here is that no-one seems bothered about that.
    ???

Clearly you are not happy - not sure what you are trying to elicit here though?

Personally I would ask for my money back and pursue it via Chrono24.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

It looks similar to the one you were expecting so probably a dealer error:

https://www.acejewelers.com/en/iwc-w...ather-iwa11534

Return it and get a correct replacement or refund. And calm down

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    It's understandable that you are a little upset that it's not what you expected and you are unhappy with it. But your attitude to other forum members who are are trying to advise you and be helpful is not helping you. And is completely uncalled for.

I suggest you contact the seller and also speak with your Credit Card company to see if they can assist you.

Then maybe come back on here and update the post and apologise for your attitude.
    My attitide?

I came on here looking for genuine advice and got a hard time:

1) For saying it's fake, when I have it sat here and you lot don't - it's a thin fake, not IWC croc at all - I know the difference, but I'm repeatedly told I don't
    2) For not going to the IWC boutique, well I have a perfectly valid reason, the service was pathetic
    3) For expecting a box (when I didn't say I expected one)

etc etc

I guess I've seen this sort of thing happen before, everyone and his dog is wise after the fact ... more fool me for coming on for some actual help.

What proof do you have that it's a fake? earlier you were convinced the size was wrong and that was shown not to be the case. Return the strap and do some homework on what you are actually wanting to buy rather than kicking off in future.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    It looks similar to the one you were expecting so probably a dealer error:

https://www.acejewelers.com/en/iwc-w...ather-iwa11534

Return it and get a correct replacement or refund. And calm down
    What I have sat here looks nothing like that strap.

Master
    What proof do you have that it's a fake? earlier you were convinced the size was wrong and that was shown not to be the case. Return the strap and do some homework on what you are actually wanting to buy rather than kicking off in future.

Eh? The size IS wrong. This is 21mm. I ordered 20mm. What homework? I was expecting an IWA11534.

Proof it's fake ... looking at it is sufficient.

Craftsman
    Eh? The size IS wrong. This is 21mm. I ordered 20mm. What homework? I was expecting an IWA11534.

So - sorry its been a bad deal for you. Contact seller and get it sorted. Should be an easy process I hope

Get where you are coming from - so disappointing when stuff doesn't turn out as planned

Fake or not.
    Obviously, not to your satisfaction
    You can either ask them to accept a return or take it to local IWC dealer to verify/compare
    If it is a fake they have to issue a refund ( the seller on Chrono24)

I'm not bothered because I didn't buy it. Simples.

What I have sat here looks nothing like that strap.
    You're hard work aren't you? My link is to the strap you were expecting, IWA11534 from the code in your op. IWA11534 is 20mm

The link that morning wood posted is for the strap you actually received - IWA19247, which is 21mm.

I think you'll have to agree they look very similar from the top, although you can tell that the IWA11534 strap looks thicker.

I am suggesting that the dealer has sent the wrong strap by mistake. Do you see?
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 14th March 2017 at 23:57.

Master
    It looks fine to me. That’s what some IWC straps look like - they are not all like overstuffed shiny sofas. They have simply sent you the wrong strap. Just return it for a refund.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    You're hard work aren't you? My link is to the strap you were expecting, IWA11534 from the code in your op. IWA11534 is 20mm

The link that morning wood posted is for the strap you actually received - IWA19247, which is 21mm.

I think you'll have to agree they look very similar from the top, although you can tell that the IWA11534 strap looks thicker.

I am suggesting that the dealer has sent the wrong strap by mistake. Do you see?
    Yes I do see your point now. My thanks for that and to the others making positive suggestions.

I had already reported to Chrono24 but was (and remain) worried the process will not be straightforward, so came on here to see if anyone had had similar issues at any point, or had practical advice.

Yes I have been quite upset by this, paying £200-odd an getting something that looks very different to what was expected has that effect. It was not my intention to come on here and get into an argument with people.

I still think this is a fake, as the pattern is so shallow, but regardless it looks a lot more like the IWA19247 link (flat, matt in colour, 21mm) than the strap I was expecting (shinier, padded and of course 20mm).

I guess we'll see how this pans out.

From the photos it looks genuine. Not the strap you were looking for of course, but no need to oust it as a fake.

Embossed calf (what fakes tend to be) usually follow a similar pattern, even scales throughout, where you can see with yours that it does actually vary, and decrease in size as it follows down the hide.

It looks genuine alligator hide, and you won't find many fake straps using genuine exotic skins.

I'm sure you can return it because it's not what you ordered, but by accusing the seller of sending a fake can only seek to antagonise them - I strongly suspect, like others, it's the real deal.

Craftsman
    Yes, and you were sent an IWA19247 instead. It says so on the back. Obviously an error, but...

Quote Originally Posted by kk
    Proof it's fake ...
    No. It really isn't.

hideous piece of cheapo thin, embossed leather… very shocked as it's from an apparently reputable dealer… Dodgy employee?
    I thought I could save a few ££
    It's a cheap, thin piece of shit. I do know what a croc strap is supposed to look like
    it's a thin fake, not IWC croc at all - I know the difference
    I really hope this turns out to be a fake, otherwise you’re going to look like a proper knob.

I guess we'll see how this pans out.
    I guess we won’t.

Grand Master
    My opinion on paying silly money for manufacturer' s branded straps has been aired previously; doesn't make sense to me. However, if you have to do it I guess it makes sense to buy from the official outlet which is an AD, then at least you know the item's genuine..........bit still a rip-off.

Can't see anything special about this one, it isn't custom-made to fit a specific deployant and it doesn't have fitted ends.........it's just a black croc strap to my eyes.

Years ago I bought a genuine Omega strap and buckle from German ebay..........what I received was fake tat. Taught me a lesson.

Paul

"I have just been ripped off by a dealer on Chrono24"

You've already made your mind up - really, there is nothing anyone can add to that.............

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    "I have just been ripped off by a dealer on Chrono24"

You've already made your mind up - really, there is nothing anyone can add to that.............
    And if you go at the seller with all guns blazing you'll have a harder time of it than if you calmly ask them to swap it for the correct strap.
    I wish you luck

Grand Master
    As you've replied to everyone else can I ask again why you didn't go to IWC Bond Street?
    RIAC

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    As you've replied to everyone else can I ask again why you didn't go to IWC Bond Street?
    He did mention it in #5 and #14 Kerry, it seems he got bad service from them in the past.

Grand Master
    Well thats a shame, I am good friends with IWC head office so if you do get stuck then let me know. Not sure how bad service can be buying a strap though!
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Well thats a shame, I am good friends with IWC head office so if you do get stuck then let me know. Not sure how bad service can be buying a strap though!

It was so bad that he ended up with the correct strap and ran home sobbing in to his mothers arms.

Master
    That looks to be a correct A19247 IWC strap (which was fitted as standard to the 3717 pilot I believe). Granted, it's not what you ordered... but it's not fake (and certainly not cheap!).
    For comparison, here is an image of the strap which was fitted to my 3777 pilot from new (A59207 which has only been worn like twice):-

Hopefully demonstrates what was mentioned earlier in the thread that not all IWC exotic skin straps are padded.

Simply, you have been sent the wrong strap. I really hope you've not gone in all guns blazing to Chrono24 or the dealer with accusations that you have been sold a fake without actually doing some investigating first.

Master
    Definitely a genuine strap from the scans but worth remembering that leathers differ enormously in feel/grain. The benefit of dealerships is that they'll usually have a selection in various sizes and you can have a look through to get the one you're after.

Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    That looks to be a correct A19247 IWC strap (which was fitted as standard to the 3717 pilot I believe). Granted, it's not what you ordered... but it's not fake (and certainly not cheap!).
    For comparison, here is an image of the strap which was fitted to my 3777 pilot from new (A59207 which has only been worn like twice):-

Hopefully demonstrates what was mentioned earlier in the thread that not all IWC exotic skin straps are padded.

Simply, you have been sent the wrong strap. I really hope you've not gone in all guns blazing to Chrono24 or the dealer with accusations that you have been sold a fake without actually doing some investigating first.

Indeed, I have the same watch but have changed the strap to the calf option (different strap, thickness and texture) from the Le Petit Prince. It was fairly clear from the start that this was just a mistake from the seller and shouting "I've been sold a fake" at the top of his voice did not help in any way.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post

The strap I got sent looks nothing like this one it's about half the thickness of the one shown and far less textured. It's printed leather.

The strap I got sent looks nothing like this one it's about half the thickness of the one shown and far less textured. It's printed leather.
    Are you deliberately trying to appear stupid? The photo is simply an example of how different IWC straps can be.

Your red mist is clouding comprehension of what folk are trying to explain to you. Hope you get it sorted anyway; going as overtly "guns up" with the dealer, (from the outset), in the manner you have with members here is unlikely to get the swiftest/most satisfactory resolution. But that die is cast already I would imagine. Will leave you to it.
    Last edited by r1ch; 15th March 2017 at 11:02. Reason: typo

It's clear that you have no intention of taking advice from the collective experience of forum members.

As I wrote previously, it's very unlikely it's printed calf, fakers would rarely go that far to create such varied scales.

The strap you have pictured looks almost identical to the strap that was supplied with my IWC Mark XVI.

Most likely, they've mistakenly sent you the wrong strap, simply exchange it, but no need to shout 'fake'.

Journeyman
    leaving aside the doubts of the originality of the strap, as the UK is still part of the EU, then the EU distance selling regulations should apply. You are entitled to a 14 day cooling off period, beginning on the day the item was delivered. You should be able to return it no questions asked, the return shipping may not be covered, that would depend on the store's policy.
    For some unknown reason, if you rang the store directly from a public payphone and conducted the transaction that way, then these regulations do not apply.

Any news and how did you get on with the seller today?

Master
    It looks genuine. My IWC straps looks exactly like that with same prints. But I guess the size is not what you wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    It looks genuine. My IWC straps looks exactly like that with same prints. But I guess the size is not what you wanted.
    Indeed it does but will the op come back and give an update, he's logged on several times tonight but not a peep thus far.

Smashed his keyboard up I reckon

Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    Smashed his keyboard up I reckon
    He's online now but will we hear from the man himself?

I suspect it's all a bit too embarrassing for him!

Master
    Come on guys, stop giving him a hard time and buckle down 😂

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Well this had been an interesting read, I guess the thread title should be changed to..

I have just been sent wrong size strap by a dealer on Chrono24

Still glad to hear it's likely just a mistake rather than fraud.

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    Come on guys, stop giving him a hard time and buckle down 

I suppose I would get angry too if I was strapped for cash.