closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Used Rolex Sea-Dweller advice needed

Craftsman

Used Rolex Sea-Dweller advice needed

I was considering for a while now to buy my first Rolex and after some research and hesitation (and missed SC pieces) I've found a used Sea-Dweller 16600 (2004) at a jeweller for £4400.
    The price seemed fair, condition 1 (mint), only with box, serviced by own in house watch maker and with 12 month warranty.

I received it today and surprisingly the crystal and bezel are scratched.
    Should I be fussy and send it back or is it still a good deal and worth to keep it like that?

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app

For £4400 I'd be sending it back.
    "Serviced" should surely include a new crystal at least?
    It would always annoy me.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Dinked bezel too, 2 teeth along from "30" on the bezel!

Master
    First obvious questions - did the seller tell you it was in mint condition? and what did they say about the condition? If they told you it was mint, you should consider sending it back - though I guess it varies with whether you bought it from a retailer, or via ebay or from a private sale, in the latter case you are probably screwed.
    There again, how much are you bothered about a couple of scratches? I couldn't care less, but the fact that you posted this suggest that you are!!!

Yeah that's not mint. Personally I'd aim for a repair job at their cost. Otherwise it's for you to decide if you are happy to live with it at the price paid.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Yeah that's not mint. Personally I'd aim for a repair job at their cost.
    That's a good idea, I'll try that. How much would it cost to fix these issues?

I've bought it from a jeweller and they have a 28 days return policy, so sending back won't be a problem.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by vcarter View Post
    That's a good idea, I'll try that. How much would it cost to fix these issues?

I've bought it from a jeweller and they have a 28 days return policy, so sending back won't be a problem.
    I would have thought that depends on the return policy of the retailer in question? However sale of goods act would come into effect and would protect the buyer dependent on the original description of the watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    That is not what I would say is "mint".

The mark to bezel I could live with, but not the crystal.

I'd ask what they can do about it first.

I'd have lost all confidence by now. If it looks like that outside what does it look like inside after their 'service'.

I'd be factoring the £500 or so for a Rolex service or they could have it back.

Master
    The first image seems to show a crude repair to a scratch on the lug at 5.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The dink in the bezel and insert scratch wouldn't bother me but the crystal scratch would annoy me so I would send it back / or get repaired at their expense.

Who's inhouse watchmaker?

Get it back within the 14 days IMO, I can't see them being able to fit a genuine crystal.

I'd want to see it on a timing machine to check beat error and amplitude if it hadn't been to Rolex or Rolex approved for it's service.

If they've misled you about the crystal who's to say they didn't just put it through a swish 'n' dunk service and stick it back together with the old seals.

Master
    Those lugs don't look acceptable to me. They are too rounded for a watch of that age. Prices are down on these, at least over here, and you could do much better for ~$5,400.

Get your money back pronto - there are plenty of fish in the Sea, lots of choice out there. Rolex would charge more than £500 for the service and repairs, the crystal alone will be close to £200 (its ten years since mine was done and then it was £100) - you want genuine parts not after market, its just not worth the hassle and if it was me it would be gone!
    Keith

Craftsman
    I've been offered an exchange as they've just acquired another identical sea dweller or a full refund with free return.
    I can inspect the other watch in the branch before exchanging, so maybe it's worth another shot, I'm waiting for the pictures and details now.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been offered an exchange as they've just acquired another identical sea dweller or a full refund with free return.
    I can inspect the other watch in the branch before exchanging, so maybe it's worth another shot, I'm waiting for the pictures and details now.

Watchfinder?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeOut View Post
    Watchfinder?
    Charles Fish

Charles Fish
    If the next one is a full set with no stretch in the bracelet, not overpolished (nice crisp lugs) - at the same money you should be fine (a good buy IMHO).

Get your money back pronto - there are plenty of fish in the Sea, lots of choice out there. Rolex would charge more than £500 for the service and repairs, the crystal alone will be close to £200 (its ten years since mine was done and then it was £100) - you want genuine parts not after market, its just not worth the hassle and if it was me it would be gone!
    Keith

Craftsman
    If the next one is a full set with no stretch in the bracelet, not overpolished (nice crisp lugs) - at the same money you should be fine (a good buy IMHO).
    Got the pics and the details:
    "box no papers circa 2003, small ding on the 3 o’clock lug, and a tiny mark on bezel"

Master
    The case looks better but the pictures look pretty bad.

Got the pics and the details:
    "box no papers circa 2003, small ding on the 3 o’clock lug,
    No magic Rolex service card I take it?

I personally would give them two options -

£4k for the 2003 watch or take the refund.

At £4k you could put it through Rolex to get the green card and still have an ok buy.

YMMV

Blog Entries
    You want one of these!!

2nd one looks a far better example, if it comes with 12m warrenty - good deal

Mozza

Craftsman
    I'm no expert, but personally I would send it back and look for something in better condition.

Craftsman
    Depends how it was listed when sold. My personal opinion the scratch on the glass would bug me but the other marks would be natural wear and tear pending on how much your wear it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It might not be a real world problem but most approved third party service agents apparently can't service and test a SD to its OEM spec.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ice+seadweller

Craftsman
    The second one looks better. The lugs are crisp, while the first one looks polished. Not sure why, but now I prefer unpolished watches and the case on my 16600 will remain untouched when service time comes. Also the second one has the drilled lugs, some people prefer those.

I think for £4,400 it's not a bad deal, the 16600 is pure classic, a legendary real tool watch, an evolution of the 1665 and was actually used by Comex.

Craftsman
    No magic Rolex service card I take it?

I personally would give them two options -

£4k for the 2003 watch or take the refund.

At £4k you could put it through Rolex to get the green card and still have an ok buy.

YMMV
    +8 sec after a day... I have a strong feeling it'll be the same with the other one as well, so maybe I really should just get that refund if I can't get the price down to at least £4.2k

Journeyman
    I would return the watch, there are too many issues going on simultaneously. +8 sec (the movement probably needs a full service) and as well as the condition you received watch in.