closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are Rolex About to B@st@rdise the Sea-Dweller????

It's about time Rolex followed in the footsteps of Christopher Ward and Steinhart and brought out a watch for the normal wristed among us. As for the cyclops, it does add a certain something that I actually find attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect View Post
    It's about time Rolex followed in the footsteps of Christopher Ward and Steinhart and brought out a watch for the normal wristed among us. As for the cyclops, it does add a certain something that I actually find attractive.
    Personally I hate it, but there's no doubt it's the marmite detail. Perhaps Rolex could make it optional on a number of their watches (like de-badging your Merc!).

Nothing would surprise me tbh. The purity of Rolex designs of old seems to have been replaced by a range of peculiar dogs dinner models that I find mystifying. A real shame tbh, coming from a fan of their older work 😖

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Me neither. I'm on the list for a Coke if it gets released but if they enlarge the case size I'll be most definitely out. I can barely live with the supercased 40 as it is.
    Seriously now, how skinny do your wrists need to be for 40 mil to be 'supercased'?

Craftsman
    The reason I bought my Sea-dweller was it didn't have the cyclops, if I wanted to have one, would have bought a Submariner.

Excellent pic of the SD underwater.
    Last edited by Andrew S; 14th March 2017 at 23:04.

Banned
    Cyclops would ruin the watch , I for one bought the sea-dweller over the submariner and GMT for that reason alone

Seikoboy

Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post
    Seriously now, how skinny do your wrists need to be for 40 mil to be 'supercased'?
    'Supercased' refers to the bulking up of the lugs that Rolex did to the current Submariner and GMT models. They share the same case size as the previous non ceramic models but they wear significantly larger due to the beefed up lugs. I have 7 1/4 inch wrist which I believe is around the UK average. The current Submariner and GMTs, with their 'supercases', are about as large as I would comfortably want to go. If they enlarge them further to 42mm they will look ridiculous on me IMO.

Craftsman
    I am going to see what they reveal before getting carried away with thoughts. That said - one I liked was the mock up of deepsea blue/black meets SD4000

But - if its 43mm & cyclops, I am out

Journeyman
    That would really confuse things up a bit.. it would be more reasonable if it would be a new submariner model

Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect View Post
    Assuming your tongue isn't firmly in your cheek, can you clarify the normal wristed bit?

Personally I like 40mm watches and a friend and I were saying last night how 38mm is starting to look right to us. It would be a shame for Rolex to start getting bigger just as popular perception and influencers like hodinkee seem to be shifting away from the TW Steel look and more towards vintage dimensions.

The cyclops is a weird thing and I personally like how the 40mm seadwellers are a little less flash because of their lack of them.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Nothing would surprise me tbh. The purity of Rolex designs of old seems to have been replaced by a range of peculiar dogs dinner models that I find mystifying. A real shame tbh, coming from a fan of their older work 
    I love this late sixties design:

Totally agree, most of us want watches around the perfect spot of 39mm-41mm which has been the sweet watch for men's watches since the original Rolex sports models in the 50s.

There is already the 44mm Deep Sea which looks daft every time I have seen it on a wrist for those that need a 'look-at-me' Rolex watch. If there was such a need for 45+mm watches in the general population, why didn't a producer step into the gap before the Panerai fashion?

Fashions come and go, we are already returning to discreet watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Scott View Post
    Assuming your tongue isn't firmly in your cheek, can you clarify the normal wristed bit?

Personally I like 40mm watches and a friend and I were saying last night how 38mm is starting to look right to us. It would be a shame for Rolex to start getting bigger just as popular perception and influencers like hodinkee seem to be shifting away from the TW Steel look and more towards vintage dimensions.

The cyclops is a weird thing and I personally like how the 40mm seadwellers are a little less flash because of their lack of them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    Fashions come and go, we are already returning to discreet watches.
    Completely agree with this. Before expensive watch buying took hold I used to buy cheap tat regularly usually either Sub or DJ 'esque' watches, so 36mm - 40mm. But over the years taste change and still only last year I was buying 44mm + watches, all gone now. In fact most of the collection's gone, just down to 3 main watches, a RDJ-36mm, THA-39mm and PAR-42mm.

I tried on the seadweller a couple of years ago and although I loved the look of it I found it a bit too small. I for one would be happy if they made it either 41-42 millimetres.

Not long now and we'll find out :)

Neil

Master
    And - they have! Noooooo!

Master
    Yey!

The new Rolex Oyster Perpetual DATE Fat-Dweller

don't like it - it will sell like hot cakes

my SDc just jumped in value - happy days

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    I think that's probably right

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did anyone by the Cameron listed the other day, if so they just made 5k I reckon instantly.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    Did anyone by the Cameron listed the other day, if so they just made 5k I reckon instantly.
    Have the stopped the deep blue DSSD then?

looks like deepsea and cameron are still available but sdc 4000 is gone. Buy them quick

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    Not yet. Still available brand new for £6950 on Iconic.

Looks like the new SD was designed by Homer Simpson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHGczDHTDpo

Craftsman
    Love the new 43 mm SD!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Not yet. Still available brand new for £6950 on Iconic.
    Try now...just for a laugh!

Jesus. Wept.

Master
    Jesus. Wept.
    Yup. 3 sold this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Yup. 3 sold this morning.
    You've sold 3 this morning?!

Master
    You've sold 3 this morning?!

Eh? No, until this morning they were so very popular that Iconic were discounting them and had 3 in stock... Not any more!

No, I didn't buy one. But, as my favourite Rolex I've considered having a safe-queen for a while now and walked past a couple of windows with them in. Doh!

There isn't a dealer from Newcastle North has one right now, I've tried.

However, it appears from my calls that a DSSD is pretty damned easy to find in stock right now!

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Eh? No, until this morning they were so very popular that Iconic were discounting them and had 3 in stock... Not any more!

No, I didn't buy one. But, as my favourite Rolex I've considered having a safe-queen for a while now and walked past a couple of windows with them in. Doh!

There isn't a dealer from Newcastle North has one right now, I've tried.

However, it appears from my calls that a DSSD is pretty damned easy to find in stock right now!
    I have similar feelings on having a safe queen... may have to have a snoop around the shops here tomorrow. I went to a local mall in Mumbai (the joys of work) and found both a BLNR and a hulk in stock at the same as uk prices after I'd checked my usual currency platform.

Master
    Blog Entries

Rolex?

It's a Basturdized SD for sure. Thank God I bought one of the first with mat dials three years ago. Last of the classic no cyclops SD's

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by milwatch126 View Post
    It's a Basturdized SD for sure. Thank God I bought one of the first with mat dials three years ago. Last of the classic no cyclops SD's
    All the SDcs have matt dials.

Master
    Don't like it with the cyclops or as 43mm. Why on earth put a cyclops on a SD when you already have it on the Sub and it's one of the SD's defining non features? I don't get it

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    All the SDcs have matt dials.
    I Must be misinform then?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I also thought recent ones had gloss dials

I think it's an idea that was wrongly reported somewhere and has been repeated as fact ever since. They're all satin - a matte dial texture which is very obvious in bright light, but with what looks like a layer of clear coat over the top of it which makes it look shiny at certain angles.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by milwatch126 View Post
    I Must be misinform then?
    Yes, this was pointed out to you the last time you posted this same information.

It was a rumour on TRF, nothing more.

Craftsman

Are Rolex About to B@st@rdise the Sea-Dweller????

Quote Originally Posted by WatchIng View Post
    Personally I hate it, but there's no doubt it's the marmite detail. Perhaps Rolex could make it optional on a number of their watches (like de-badging your Merc!).
    That is a good idea. I am going to write to Rolex to suggest this be a no-cost option at ordering. Probably a waste of a stamp but never mind! I bought a SD4000 because I don't like Cyclops. I had a Sub but gave it to my son for his 21st. If the new SD could be had without I would be a buyer. If not, I wouldn't want one.

Last edited by tom waring; 23rd March 2017 at 09:53.

Quote Originally Posted by tom waring View Post
    That is a good idea. I am going to write to Rolex to suggest this be a no-cost option at ordering. Probably a waste of a stamp but never mind! I bought a SD4000 because I don't like Cyclops. I had a Sub but gave it to my son for his 21st. If the new SD could be had without I would be a buyer. If not, I wouldn't want one.

Good idea - you never know, they might even try: after all it would surely get them a few extra sales for relatively little effort!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchIng View Post
    Good idea - you never know, they might even try: after all it would surely get them a few extra sales for relatively little effort!
    The word 'few' is the key. Cost them more to take off the cyclops. They'll sell every one of the standard models so why bother.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tom waring View Post
    That is a good idea. I am going to write to Rolex to suggest this be a no-cost option at ordering. Probably a waste of a stamp but never mind!

Yes a total waste of a stamp, ink, paper and your time.
    Just don't bother.
    If you don't like it, don't buy it.