closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Let's get a Posthumous Knighthood for John Surtees

Let's get a Posthumous Knighthood for John Surtees

Dear friends,

I just signed the petition "Posthumous Knighthood for John Surtees" and wanted to ask if you could add your name too.

This campaign means a lot to me and the more support we can get behind it, the better chance we have of succeeding. You can read more and sign the petition here:

http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petition...r-john-surtees

Thank you!

Andy

P.S. Can you also take a moment to share the petition with others? It's really easy – all you need to do is forward this email or share this link on Facebook or Twitter: http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petition...r-john-surtees
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Andy, I feel very strongly about this also and have signed.

Thanks for taking the time to set up.

Cheers.

I too feel he should be recognised for his achievements
    So I too have signed

John

Signed and shared via social media

Excellent idea and duly signed.

Master
    Signed and shared.

It had escaped me that John Surtees had not been knighted and only when he passed away earlier this week and i heard an interview with Jackie Stewart did it hit home, travesty.

Craftsman
    I was under the assumption Big John had already been knighted.

Obviously I need to pay more attention.

Signed the petition (twice)

Dave

Craftsman
    Totally agree and signed

Master
    My understanding is that a knighthood dies with the recipient and cannot be warded posthumously.

Great idea - signed

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    My understanding is that a knighthood dies with the recipient and cannot be warded posthumously.
    I believe this to be correct, IIRC there was a petition for Bobby More to be knighted after he passed away and that was refused on the same grounds. Signing this petition (and others that arise after someone's death) may lead to a review on how such honours are awarded however, unfortunately, I'm not sure it will make much difference in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by DJL-73 View Post
    I was under the assumption Big John had already been knighted.

Dave
    He was awarded the CBE, can't remember when though.

Master
    Bearing in mind what has been stated above, what really is the point? He was badly served by the powers that be in life and awarding a knighthood now, which is of course non hereditary would presumably create Lady Jane but that is about it. What exactly is the Queen going to knight?
    Last edited by Padders; 12th March 2017 at 11:06. Reason: Dame swapped for lady

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Bearing in mind what has been stated above, what really is the point? He was badly served by the powers that be in life and awarding a knighthood now, which is of course non hereditary would presumably create Dame Jane but that is about it. What exactly is the Queen going to knight?
    The point being, it's recognition, albeit posthumously of his remarkable and unique sporting achievement.

Petition signed.
    Last edited by alanm_3; 12th March 2017 at 10:38. Reason: Signed

Master
    Exactly the ONLY man to have beaten the world on 2 wheels and 4 and just look at the competition he faced in that era, thoroughly deserved if you ask me, if we can make Andy Murray a Sir then John Surtees deserves something of a higher level of you ask me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Signed and shared.

Sent from my E2303 using TZ-UK mobile app

Why did nobody commence the petition whilst he was alive, and able to accept it?
    Sounds to me that it might have been successful.

There are lots of examples of people that have deserved a 'posthumous knighthood' even if you just look at F1. As has been explained, they cannot be given.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    they cannot be given.
    If enough people are supportive, there is always an outside chance that a change might be made.

Alternatively we could just all just accept the status quo all the time.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Why not a campaign whilst he was alive?

Craftsman
    signed ,

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    If enough people are supportive, there is always an outside chance that a change might be made.

Alternatively we could just all just accept the status quo all the time.
    A fair point.

Despite my previous post on this I was still intending on signing up and I've just done so, on the basis that I feel it is deserved. I've also shared on FB.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Why not a campaign whilst he was alive?
    There were
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Knighthoods are an outdated, almost farcical concept nowadays. I'm more than happy to recognise and remember individuals for their personal achievements and qualities without one.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    There were
    Ok, fair enough.

As that was unsuccessful I can't see him being awarded one now then. Good luck anyway.

There have been lots of calls for John Surtees to be knighted over the years and plenty of people have been dubbed for much less. It is quite possible, even likely, that he was offered and declined the honour. Apparently you only get asked once.

While I think he was definitely deserving of the title, a postumous knighthood is simply not possible and the official position is that the petitions system is not to be used for discussing honours so it is very likely to be denied as it has been in the past. If the goal is to change the honours system then this is unlikely to change anything and I think there are much bigger issues with it than not dishing them out postumously.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Yep great idea ....Signed

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Why did nobody commence the petition whilst he was alive, and able to accept it?
    Sounds to me that it might have been successful.
    there were several attempts to do so without success....he only got the CBE in 2016 as it was.
    I was looking into it however, you seemed to need letters of support from close friends and immediate family,work colleagues, etc.

was quite happy to start to write to Jane and family but it wasn't going to be a quick process.... sadly of course too late...

i did like Damon's tweet that he was blown away by the massive amount of retweets and messages about John which showed how respected and loved he was by the motorsport fans and audience

Having done a bit more reading around, he certainly wasn't forgotten about

1959 MBE
    2008 OBE
    2016 CBE

Very highly recognised indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    There have been lots of calls for John Surtees to be knighted over the years and plenty of people have been dubbed for much less. It is quite possible, even likely, that he was offered and declined the honour. Apparently you only get asked once.

While I think he was definitely deserving of the title, a postumous knighthood is simply not possible and the official position is that the petitions system is not to be used for discussing honours so it is very likely to be denied as it has been in the past. If the goal is to change the honours system then this is unlikely to change anything and I think there are much bigger issues with it than not dishing them out postumously.
    A good point here.

Seems wrong in principle to give a knighthood posthumously to someone who would have the option to refuse it were he/she still alive.

Master
    Having signed it, there is, of course, the possibility that it was offered and refused before he died?

Master
    The wily old fox could well have turned one down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Signed, but I also was wondering whether JS would have accepted it.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

A total waste of effort IMHO. Not because Surtees didn't deserve knighting, he clearly deserved it more than a lot of (most?) recipients. The thing is he's now dead and it's not going to make a blind bit of difference to him, he was one of the greats and will always be remembered as such, Sir or no Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    A total waste of effort IMHO.
    Well I made most of the effort.

Others who remotely support the sentiment only have to sign or share on their social media

As @ just now only 77 people have, but if others shared on their social media, it can only raise the profile.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    A total waste of effort IMHO. Not because Surtees didn't deserve knighting, he clearly deserved it more than a lot of (most?) recipients. The thing is he's now dead and it's not going to make a blind bit of difference to him, he was one of the greats and will always be remembered as such, Sir or no Sir.
    All true.

Similar for Bobby Moore who is generally referred to as Sir Bobby amongst WHU fans even though he only received an OBE.

These people live on through their fan's hearts regardless of official recognition.
    Cheers,
    Neil.