closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch strap tool

Watch strap tool

What do people generally use to change straps? I've got a metal tool which makes it very easy to scratch lugs.

I've tried googling 'plastic spring bar tool' and similar without much luck.

Any suggestions would b much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I think most people swear by tools by Bergeon.
    Probably mis-spelt, but I'm sure someone will be along to confirm.
    I have it in my head that it may be a 6767 tool, but I'm sure a google search will help.

I usually tape up the lugs and I am very careful, I seem to be getting away with that method

For me the pleasure of wearing a new strap on a watch is entirely negated by the overwhelming likelihood of scratching the lugs and / or case / case back so much so that I don't even attempt it any more. I wanted to change the strap on a Datejust last year and I actually took it in to my AD and they were happy to help me out foc.

You can try taping up the lugs but even then I've managed to put marks on cases. I'm probably super ham fisted. A good option for cases with lug holes is to use a toothpick to displace the springbars.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainspring View Post
    I think most people swear by tools by Bergeon.
    Probably mis-spelt, but I'm sure someone will be along to confirm.
    I have it in my head that it may be a 6767 tool, but I'm sure a google search will help.
    Definitely this - I swear by my Bergeon 6767. Everything else I've used has been pretty much garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    For me the pleasure of wearing a new strap on a watch is entirely negated by the overwhelming likelihood of scratching the lugs and / or case / case back so much so that I don't even attempt it any more. I wanted to change the strap on a Datejust last year and I actually took it in to my AD and they were happy to help me out foc.

You can try taping up the lugs but even then I've managed to put marks on cases. I'm probably super ham fisted. A good option for cases with lug holes is to use a toothpick to displace the springbars.
    I tend to find that most of the time scratches occur when refitting the springbar or when the springbar releases

You can buy a double springbar tool which depresses both ends of the springbar which must be the best option

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    I tend to find that most of the time scratches occur when refitting the springbar or when the springbar releases

You can buy a double springbar tool which depresses both ends of the springbar which must be the best option
    Good call. I'm down to one watch now and it will always live on the bracelet (whilst I own it anyway) but I will seek such a tool out if I find myself wanting to do a strap change in future :-)

Craftsman
    I also use springbar tweezers "Regine horology tweezers for lady metallic bracelets. Stock number 220015" which I bought from a company in Germany, although I believe Bergeon also make some.

I'll see if I can find where I bought them from online.

I've often wondered if these are any good, never tried one.

Master
    Where are people damaging their lugs?

I'm always swapping straps and I've not come across an issue of damage yet.

I've only got one of the cheap removers (the double ended ones that come in the complete tool kits you can buy) and it works fine.

I would suggest if you're letting the spring bar pop out the front and damage the face of the lugs you need to apply a bit of pressure with a finger on the end link to stop it going out the face of the watch way.

I usually tape up the lugs and I am very careful, I seem to be getting away with that method
    This, along with using a Bergeon.
    F.T.F.A.

I use a Bergeon with a fine fork end even for straps - I find the standard wider fork that is intended for straps too thick and clumsy. Using this is the only time I have scratched a lug despite taping it up. Such is the precision of the fine fork I don't bother taping up these days.
    Last edited by Velorum; 5th February 2017 at 13:47.

Master
    This is something I have been looking at recently as well. The regular Bergeon seems to work well with straps (with a bit of care and taping up the lugs). I gave up very quickly on a Rolex however. Unless I am doing things very badly the SELs on Rolex are such a good fit that the spring bar needs to be depressed using the tweezers/pliers type tool to remove the bracelet. There seem to be a few options:

Rolex 3200 tool only available via AD and very expensive
    Bergeon 7825 which is meant to basically be the same as the Rolex tool
    Bergeon 6825
    Chinese "style" Bergeon 6825 (no idea how good the tips are)
    Horofix spring bar pliers (some reports that these tips have the tendency to break as well).

There are others but I have no idea which are "best". One thing that seems to be the case for Rolex at least is they need a 1.0mm or 1.1mm tip to fit inside the end link and get to the spring bar.

Master
    6767f is all you need :) couldn't care less about scratched underside of lugs. If you are so inclined though, you can just be careful, or do as suggested and pop a bit of tape on them.

Quote Originally Posted by AAddict View Post
    I've often wondered if these are any good, never tried one.
    Ok only, I would say. Slightly disappointing for the money. The plastic allows the prongs to misalign when you squeeze. I suspect that the hinged Bergeon version is better even if it is four times the price.

I bought these, they are a copy of the bergeon ones and for £50 they work well.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...f-578307ca3aa2

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    Ok only, I would say. Slightly disappointing for the money. The plastic allows the prongs to misalign when you squeeze. I suspect that the hinged Bergeon version is better even if it is four times the price.
    I bought and returned a pair of these as I found them too flexible and the tips looked liked they were easy to bend. Didn't want to risk it.

Thanks for the responses. Here is the kind of damage I mean:

I'll try the Bergen tool with tape. I would have thought that somebody would have a plastic tool available - it's the obvious way to avoid scratching. I guess a plastic string enough to handle the force needed isn't available and/or cheap enough to b viable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ribena36 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. Here is the kind of damage I mean:

I'll try the Bergen tool with tape. I would have thought that somebody would have a plastic tool available - it's the obvious way to avoid scratching. I guess a plastic string enough to handle the force needed isn't available and/or cheap enough to b viable.

I would have thought the scratch was more likely from the springbar than the tool

No I don't think it's the springbar itself as the edge of the lug is angled in such a way that springboard wont scratch that surface

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    I need to try one of these with my braceleted Bulova Moon watch

Craftsman
    I have been taking straps off watches everyday for 25 years and looking at this thread you can defiantly make a very simple job very complicated

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by J3w3ll3r View Post
    I have been taking straps off watches everyday for 25 years and looking at this thread you can defiantly make a very simple job very complicated

Maybe some tips for the me and the guys would be appreciated mate, I am very nervous about it just incase I cause damage.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Walesy View Post
    Maybe some tips for the me and the guys would be appreciated mate, I am very nervous about it just incase I cause damage.
    I don't think the tools are the problem, i think it's probably more about practice

We have plenty of Bergeron tools but usually end up using an old screwdriver for bracelets and a Swiss Army knife for leather straps

Quote Originally Posted by J3w3ll3r View Post
    I don't think the tools are the problem, i think it's probably more about practice

We have plenty of Bergeron tools but usually end up using an old screwdriver for bracelets and a Swiss Army knife for leather straps

Technique and practice is my thought.

Craftsman
    Sorry to hijack this post OP, but did you have to pay any duty on these?

Many thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Walesy View Post
    I bought these, they are a copy of the bergeon ones and for £50 they work well.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...f-578307ca3aa2

No it was just delivered to my door...nothing paid.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Great - thanks for the reply. As a matter of interest, did it take 20-40 days as suggested on their web-site?

Irrelevant really as I've just ordered anyway!

Thanks again.

Watch strap tool

I use the tool that my Speedmaster came with. It seems to be perfect fit.. which you'd expect of course.

What I do also is wear a head magnifier Lens thing. A kind of head strap with a drop down magnifying lens. Like a brain surgeon haha.

It's overkill of course - but the massive magnification really makes the job easier and as such I'm less likely to slip and scratch anything

Last edited by Falcata; 18th March 2017 at 17:11.