closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Measuring accuracy

Master

Measuring accuracy

How do you do it? Just against a computer, or an app, or what?

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Watch Tracker on iOS. Works a dream for me (although led to many watches being sent off for calibration!)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Watch Tracker on iOS. Works a dream for me (although led to many watches being sent off for calibration!)
    ive been using Tool Watch, which is free, but it has limitations. You can't save data, for example, or export, or look at history, and it doesn't seem to synchronise across different devices - i.e. if a check a watch on the iPad the result doesn't show up on the iPhone. Does Watch Tracker do better?

I would say that Watch Tracker is much better by the sounds of things.
    Believe it is iOS only, but free if I recall correctly (owned it for years!)

Master
    Set the watch to the atomic clock (time.is) and then check your watch again 24 hours later and see what the difference is. I can't really see the point of an app.

Master
    I would say that Watch Tracker is much better by the sounds of things.
    Believe it is iOS only, but free if I recall correctly (owned it for years!)

It it does sound better, but is £4.99 now! Still, in comparison with the watch not so much, I suppose.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Set the watch to the atomic clock (time.is) and then check your watch again 24 hours later and see what the difference is. I can't really see the point of an app.

Same here, got time.is always open on one of my safari pages on my phone. And it's free !!!

Such an app stores the data from multiple watches, and graphs it all.
    In the data tables, the timings are accurate to tenths of a second.

Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    It it does sound better, but is £4.99 now! Still, in comparison with the watch not so much, I suppose.

Perhaps I did pay for it? Like I say, I have had it for many years. If you are going to use the app, in my opinion the price is well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by rossi46vr View Post
    Same here, got time.is always open on one of my safari pages on my phone. And it's free !!!
    And another. Works well for me although slightly addictive (or obsessive!)..

Sent from my SM-G935F using TZ-UK mobile app

I have a Casio Protrek 2500 radio-controlled quartz which resets itself every night, so I use this each morning to see how the watch I'm currently giving wrist space to is doing [just now it's a new Seiko Kinetic, the SUN021P1 - which has gained about half a second over the 10 days I have had it!].

Watch Tracker, absolutely. It's interesting when your £50 Vostok gets close to your Rolex overall, although much much more positional variation
    D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for this. Selling a few watches soon, so it would be good to quote the accuracy.

Craftsman
    I've been using Twixt on my iPhone - works great.

Master
    Thanks for the comments everyone. I would like to be able to track and record the data, so a fiver on the watch tracker app may be worthwhile

So I used to own an Oris chronoris but I sold it. The reason being it didn't have a second hand. So this thread rekindled my frustrations with that watch. My question to the body of the Kirk is how do you measure accuracy of a watch with no second hand?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    So I used to own an Oris chronoris but I sold it. The reason being it didn't have a second hand. So this thread rekindled my frustrations with that watch. My question to the body of the Kirk is how do you measure accuracy of a watch with no second hand?

Depends on how accurate the measure needs to be (and assuming you don't have access to a timing device that uses sound detection). This is the method I use for longterm accuracy (on seconds hand watch too) and it works pretty well:
    1. sync the minute hand at any o'clock to a reliable source (atomic, radio controlled clock etc)
    2. wear the watch for a month, then
    3. at any o'clock check the deviation between the reference minute "hand" and the watch minute hand.
    At +/- 1 sec per day the watch will gain/lose under 1/2 minute. Therefore if the watch loses less than 2 minutes and gains less than 3 it's within COSC tolerances (-4/+6). +/- 5 mins is an accuracy of 10 secs per day and so on.
    This method won't give you an ultra accurate result but it's not far off (more accurate with a seconds hand but only minimally so) Further, the measure is produced under normal wearing conditions so reflects your watch in your lifestyle.

Measuring accuracy

Alternatively, put it on a timegrapher. If you have an android phone I believe there is an app for that but a bit hit and miss.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Timegrapher and time.is

Timegrapher when I have a spare few mins and I've had 2 or 3 incomings.
    Time.is is also handy when running out the door in the morning and check it again later that night

Quote Originally Posted by MarkieB View Post
    Depends on how accurate the measure needs to be (and assuming you don't have access to a timing device that uses sound detection). This is the method I use for longterm accuracy (on seconds hand watch too) and it works pretty well:
    1. sync the minute hand at any o'clock to a reliable source (atomic, radio controlled clock etc)
    2. wear the watch for a month, then
    3. at any o'clock check the deviation between the reference minute "hand" and the watch minute hand.
    At +/- 1 sec per day the watch will gain/lose under 1/2 minute. Therefore if the watch loses less than 2 minutes and gains less than 3 it's within COSC tolerances (-4/+6). +/- 5 mins is an accuracy of 10 secs per day and so on.
    This method won't give you an ultra accurate result but it's not far off (more accurate with a seconds hand but only minimally so) Further, the measure is produced under normal wearing conditions so reflects your watch in your lifestyle.

Yeah I wear my collection in rotation so full month on the wrist for an approximation was never gonna happen here.

Another vote for WatchTracker here. I've found it especially useful for longer-term accuracy tracking because of the saved data and graphs. For instance, I've had my Skywalker X-33 for 127.4 days and in that time it's gained 3.1 seconds (0.024s per day, or about 9s per YEAR!).

Grand Master
    I use a quality quartz watch for comparison on a 2-3 day basis, nothing more elaborate. What I`m looking for is significant deviations in rate to allow adjustments; it's easy to see if a watch is more than 1 second out over 8-9 hours. I don`t do apps and mobiles, I prefer to keep it simple.

Paul

Measuring accuracy

Best method is a cheap citizen eco drive radio controlled signal. Every collection should have one lol
    Or there is always speaking-clock.com

Apprentice
    Yeah I wear my collection in rotation so full month on the wrist for an approximation was never gonna happen here.

Don't suppose accuracy matters that much then

Journeyman
    Kind of agree with this, surely this is the easiest way... Although I guess a week might be more accurate on average.

Watch Tracker is great although it can be a bit of a rabbit hole - I had to go cold turkey after spending far too much time checking.

It's good for new arrivals - if you check every 6 hours or so you can see whether it's running fast or slow AND whether this is consistent or the result of lurches in both directions that suggest something major is up.

I also have the Timegrapher app which is good but less useful (in my experience) for showing real world/on the wrist performance. I needed both to do regulation well.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesianbriggs View Post

I also have the Timegrapher app which is good but less useful (in my experience) for showing real world/on the wrist performance. I needed both to do regulation well.

what can you tell about it's accuracy? I see that it gives you beat error and amplitude and I might be interested in this.

Craftsman
    Seconded, very impressed with this app - simple but easy to use and well presented.

Journeyman
    Yet another vote for Watch Tracker, especially if your collection keeps changing, it helps to keep track of everything neatly.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkieB View Post
    Don't suppose accuracy matters that much then

Au contraire. I'm not anal about accuracy or COSC etc but I do like to know if my watches accuracy is slipping purely from the point of view of it perhaps indicating it's time for a wee service..... so it does matter from that viewpoint

Craftsman
    Au contraire. I'm not anal about accuracy or COSC etc but I do like to know if my watches accuracy is slipping purely from the point of view of it perhaps indicating it's time for a wee service..... so it does matter from that viewpoint
    Yes exactly this. I do it when I get a new watch, then no more than annually thereafter, as a "service required" indicator.

Master
    I have tried Twixt with mixed results, it can be frustrating and contradictory. If you want to do it properly and quickly, invest in a cheap timing machine from eBay. They were around £120 last time I looked. If it stops you falling for the 'recently serviced' bs that many sellers claim it pays for itself pretty quickly. They won't give you all the bells and whistles a proper watchmaker may need but accurate rate, amplitude and beat error are often enough to see the basic picture and you will have the answer in minutes not hours.
    Last edited by Padders; 15th March 2017 at 08:51.

Craftsman
    Yes I have a timegrapher too and it's useful and interesting to use. Obviously much more costly than a five quid mobile app though so probably only for the hardcore (which I suppose most of us here are!).

(One point though - a timegrapher measures accuracy in one of several fixed positions, and as such it doesn't give a real world measurement of accuracy which represents how the watch will perform on your wrist.)

I got Watch Tracker after starting a very similar thread to this a couple weeks ago. I have to warn you, it will eat into your life. I suspect the slightly obsessive, detailed personality of a WIS means that it's easy to become obsessed about tracking and detailing this aspect of watches too!

Journeyman
    Timegrapher is a great pickup! especially if you buy/sell watches frequently

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    what can you tell about it's accuracy? I see that it gives you beat error and amplitude and I might be interested in this.
    I assume it's accurate in terms of measurement - it's just that, as someone else said, timegraphers will show timekeeping in one static position which is different from what happens when worn.

I'd give it a go - lot of fun.

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

Measuring accuracy

When I show up for work and the boss says, "You're 15 minutes late!", I set my watch back 15 minutes.....