closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Thoughts on Damasko watches?

Master

Thoughts on Damasko watches?

I've been considering a DC66 Chrono since they announced their tegimented bracelets, but I've heard about customer service issues with Damasko watches, and this puts me off a little. I used to own the above watch on a NATO and remember it being quite large, but also one of the most legible and useful watches I've ever owned.

Does anyone have experience with these watches and would you buy again?

Personal choice but not for me go for it

Master
    Hi Wayne, IMO everyone should try at least one Damasko watch. I have DC67 that I bought pre owned and it is quite a few years old now, it is literally made out of superhard steel and is totally unmarked.
    When the crowns of other watches kiss the side of the case, whereas my normal watches are marked in some minor way the Damasko shows no sign whatsoever.
    I think they're fantastic watches, although I suppose a little like Sinn, i would to buy pre owned to prevent taking a bath if you ever want to move it on further down the line.
    The DC67 is a good sized watch, you certainly know you're wearing it but for me it's something very different to the other watches I have, and that makes it special to me.
    Dial legibility and lume are fantastic and I like the sound of the tegimented bracelet.
    Give it a go Wayne. All the best Paul.
    Edited to add, I've never had to use customer service as never had a problem.
    Last edited by Cat7; 8th March 2017 at 07:44.

Craftsman
    I like my Da36. The common problem everyone money about on this watch is how easily the glass smudges. I have no experience with there customer service but if you think I once sent my Breitling for a service and it took 5 months you have to give a small company a break.
    I have never seen one come up for sale 2nd hand with a bracelet on. I wish mine had the bracelet as I originally went to look at them new and it's a fine piece of work.

Master
    Just a totally recommended from me. Can't think of anything to fault them and the previous owner of mine, bought from here, had a positive experience sending it back for regulating if I remember correctly. Small watch makers will have issues from time to time but I can live with that especially when I read some of the horror stories and time scales quoted by the larger boys. Whilst the designs are relatively simple, their cases are just great and I've had no issues with the crystal marking. Buy second hand and they're a solid tool watch, one of the best pound for pound and still relatively rare in the wild.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Just a totally recommended from me. Can't think of anything to fault them and the previous owner of mine, bought from here, had a positive experience sending it back for regulating if I remember correctly. Small watch makers will have issues from time to time but I can live with that especially when I read some of the horror stories and time scales quoted by the larger boys. Whilst the designs are relatively simple, their cases are just great and I've had no issues with the crystal marking. Buy second hand and they're a solid tool watch, one of the best pound for pound and still relatively rare in the wild.
    I certainly did Dave. Turned around in a week with all courier arrangements handled directly by Damasko. I also dealt with them when buying some additional bracelet links on another watch and they were perfect to deal with then as well. Very good customer service from both my experiences.

Master
    I love Damasko and think they are amazing value with unique designs and tech. I've not owned one but like the DA36 and DC66.

These photos of the DC66 make it even more tempting:

https://23-59.net/one-man-one-watch-...-damasko-dc66/

I put up a WTB for a DC67 a few years back, was offered and bought one, and then flipped it very quickly, despite it being most of what I want in a watch.
    I thought the case finishing was great, and it has an attractively utilitarian look.
    But for me -
    The lume on the lume dial was not nearly good enough. Ultra bright after charging it decayed very quickly indeed. As my first lume-dial watch I was not very impressed. There is no point in a lume dial unless it is properly bright.
    One or other of H and M large sword hands seemed to obscure the chrono-minute register every time I was using it. They are very broad to be placed over chrono registers.
    And lastly, the font really bugged me after a while, and the way I personally think it jars with the hands.

So, if I were to get one again I would avoid the chrono, get an indices only one, and check carefully whether the lume dials have improved. Otherwise I would pass.

I do appreciate that this is not the general consensus of opinion here, but that was what I felt in my short ownership of the brand.

Dave

Banned
    I have a DA38 Black (owned from New for 18 months now) and love it. The damest coating is still pristine and crystal unmarked. The watch is superb quality and keeps excellent time. They are a small outfit and therefore build times and service are probably slower than the big watch cos but they build almost all of their DK series in house from scratch so one can understand the time taken. I have a DK14 on order and can't wait - clearly satisfied as this will be my second purchase within 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Thanks for the replies and also your very concise thoughts Dave. I think it's a watch I need to try again so hopefully my WTB will be answered soon :-)

I had a DA46 and without doubt, my favourite tool watch I've ever owned - I rank it above the MK1 Pelagos I had for 8 months.

It was tactile, fit and finish was superb, highly legible as you said, and IMO has one of the best-balanced dials in memory. In fact, I can't think of any other day/date watch that has a better balanced dial right now so lets go with saying the best overall, for me. The lume is a weak point, but that's me nit picking.

Bit of a pain to switch from a strap version to the bracelet, as the spring bar position can vary slightly, so fitting for a bracelet involves sending the head to Germany and them sizing up the end links properly. This puts you in the position of spending more for the bracelet model, even if you may only occasionally or maybe use it.

I can't speak for the aftersales service as I've never dealt with them. I have read several sources, including Eddie's, about dealing with them after Konrad's departure from the helm but again, nothing personal to me.

Master
    It’s not a brand I’ve looked at particularly but after reading this thread I might have a closer look.

Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    It’s not a brand I’ve looked at particularly but after reading this thread I might have a closer look.
    Really great if you like tool watches, front runner for "the best". Absolutely will not go with a shift cuff though, for me.

Master
    Ahem, may have just ordered one, ahem

I have a DA37 and a DC56, from Sept. 2006 and Sept. 2009 respectively. I have also owned a DC67 in the past. Both have been worn a lot and not babied, they both still look new to a casual glance, but if you know where to look at the right angle in the right light there are some tiny marks. However that's being VERY picky, and they've both had their fair share of whacks that would definitely have marked a non-hardened case but have been unscathed. The external AR is still intact with no problems at all, I've been asked more than once if the glass had fallen out as the dials are extremely legible! Of course the AR can smudge, so I wipe the glass, it's really not a problem and I don't know why some make a big deal of it.The only problem I've had was with the DC56, I suspect it was a loose rotor and it was returned under warranty via Eddie, there and back just inside 3 weeks no quibble. The lume is strong enough for me. I wear my watches 24/7 and gauge lume by if I can read the time if I wake during the night and it's good enough for that on both watches. Who really needs lume to blaze like the sun at all times? I have spells of wearing them on leather and Nato straps, and they've looked good on anything I put them on. I can't comment on "strap burn" issues on the case backs with Nato use as I make my own protectors with "helicopter " aviation tape and they remain unmarked, as do all other non-hardened case backs I've protected this way.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had a DA36 - it was very well made. The case was fantastic - it was about 6 years old when I got it and absolutely unblemished. The only thing I wasn't so keen on was the AR on the outside of the crystal - it wasn't marked but could easily become smeary.

I'm sure you will be pleased with your purchase :)

Good on you! I let one go after getting hold of a Doxa GMT i was after, It's a fantastic watch and would 100% have it again. I think you've made the right decision!

I bought a used DA36 on this forum - It is a great watch, entirely accurate - and beautifully-built and designed.

Al

I've had a DC67 for a few years (bought used) and love it. It's not the most versatile watch in the world because it's 'tooly' in the extreme. When it's right it's right though.

I wear it a lot for work and it's also my main holiday watch, firstly because it's very much 'under the radar' in spite of being a quality watch, and also because the 1-12 bezel is great as a GMT function.

The lume has always been spot on from my point of view.

I hear that Damasko's customer service is much better now, and I'd never deal with Page and Cooper ever again. (I'll probably avoid Jura in future too, judging by the recent thread).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I've had a DC67 for a few years (bought used) and love it. It's not the most versatile watch in the world because it's 'tooly' in the extreme. When it's right it's right though.

I wear it a lot for work and it's also my main holiday watch, firstly because it's very much 'under the radar' in spite of being a quality watch, and also because the 1-12 bezel is great as a GMT function.

The lume has always been spot on from my point of view.

I hear that Damasko's customer service is much better now, and I'd never deal with Page and Cooper ever again. (I'll probably avoid Jura in future too, judging by the recent thread).
    That's good to hear about customer service. The issue is Damasko's outlets in the UK consist of Jura and P&C. I went with Jura so of course will be outspoken if anything goes awry; hopefully it doesn't :-)

Master
    I never liked them much, but since I found one on the side of the road, I guess you could say I've been converted.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jl smout View Post
    I never liked them much, but since I found one on the side of the road, I guess you could say I've been converted.
    Come again? You found one?

I've a DA36 Black, DC67si and a DA44, the latter on Damasko's bracelet. Build quality is absolutely top notch, they all feel well engineered with terrific crown and bezel actions and all of the cases and bezels are unmarked. The AR surfaces make the dials incredibly legible, especially so on the DA36 Black where the black case enhances the clarity of the dial and handset (ignoring the yellow second hand there's only black and white left on the entire watch head) and they've all been very well regulated.

Re the bracelet (the main reason for me getting the DA44 from the SC here), again it shows a high degree of engineering - it's simple in concept yet very well executed. Each link has Torx-like screws that feel that they've been made to extremely high tolerances and the Damasko supplied tool with hidden end link pin tool and spare Torx screws hidden inside is a great touch - Page and Cooper have a YT video on this. The negatives are that there's no micro adjustment and no half/part links, though the links are very short anyway. My bracelet is also showing signs of feint rub marks whereas all my cases are mark free, though looking closer it appears as if this is only where hardened links are rubbing against other links. Each link can fold completely flat against its neighbour, perfect for comfort though maybe not so if each link is to remain immaculate.

I've yet to experience Damasko's after sales services so can't comment on this first hand.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    The negatives are that there's no micro adjustment and no half/part links, though the links are very short anyway.
    Big negative for me that. I have zero idea why anyone who had worn a bracelet would think limited adjustment was ok.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Ahem, may have just ordered one, ahem
    I'd be interested on your thoughts if you do get one, as I've wanted one for a while.

And of course, the obligatory pics.

Big negative for me that. I have zero idea why anyone who had worn a bracelet would think limited adjustment was ok.
    For me it was one of those things I didn't know I needed until I had it. After the Pelagos, I've not worn another bracelet.

[QUOTE=Tony;4272940] It's not the most versatile watch in the world because it's 'tooly' in the extreme. When it's right it's right though.
    QUOTE]

Well put.

I do like their standard strap, both the current and earlier version.
    For some reason my DA37 can be heard ticking in a quiet room (but not the DC56).
    I'm looking forward to seeing the next hand winding model.

The clasp type that Damasko have chosen to go with makes it difficult, if not impossible, to factor in micro adjustment so you'd think that they'd have a part link instead, but no. As I'd previously said, the links are short so adding/subtracting one or two may do the trick however if they'd made the links say just a mil or two longer making it easier to have a part sized link that would certainly make fine tuning easier.

Master
    Come again? You found one?
    An attempt at humour. Based on Saul's Road to Damascus conversion.

Hello

I picked up a really nice DC66.

I liked it a lot and it was extremely wearable and versatile on leather, rubber, and NATO's.

But, unfortunately i didn't like it as much as my other watches. So rather than hold onto it and only wear it here and there moved it on in the quest for another.

That was a Breitling Steelfish which i preferred for different reasons. Now that one is up on SC as we speak.

I'd say get one from SC see what you think. If its not for you, i would hope you don't lose anything on it. You shouldn't do.

Regards to all,

Ben

Master
    For those of you having problems with fine adjustment of Damasko bracelets they do slightly longer links which you can order direct from Damasko.

Quote Originally Posted by midgetda View Post
    For those of you having problems with fine adjustment of Damasko bracelets they do slightly longer links which you can order direct from Damasko.
    I wasn't aware of that, certainly worth knowing!

Blog Entries
    I've had 2 ... both were excellent.

...but never kept them long enough for Damasko servicing to be a problem...

... I suspect it may be the same situation for you

z

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    I wasn't aware of that, certainly worth knowing!
    No problem. When I ordered not long ago it was £30 or so delivered for a set of two links. So basically one complete link for each side of the bracelet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    I've had 2 ... both were excellent.

...but never kept them long enough for Damasko servicing to be a problem...

... I suspect it may be the same situation for you

z
    I just can't understand what you're trying to say I'm not as bad as you think; I've had a few watches for several years now lol

I thought about getting one of the chronographs when they were going for less than a grand on here for a used one. However, I eventually chose a Sinn 757 because it looks better IMO and it has a bracelet. IIRC, the Sinn essentially has all of the features of the Damasko anyway.

Master
    @W4NNE - realise you've ordered one, and probably a higher spec one at that, hence this is likely to be unnecessary but if you wanted to borrow a DA47 for a while to try I'd happily pop it in the post.

Master
    @W4NNE - realise you've ordered one, and probably a higher spec one at that, hence this is likely to be unnecessary but if you wanted to borrow a DA47 for a while to try I'd happily pop it in the post.
    That's an incredible gesture Dave. I'm sorely tempted but what I leave it on the top of my car roof and then drive off?

That's an incredible gesture Dave. I'm sorely tempted but what I leave it on the top of my car roof and then drive off?
    If you do it,there is always YouTube:-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    If you do it,there is always YouTube:-)
    Well ive been wanting to get back into that... lol

Master
    I've had two mate. A 47 that I bought to scratch the 67 itch I've had since joining here and discovering the brand and the 67 I bought recently to scratch it properly. Awesome build quality, off the radar brand status, toolish as standard and legible from as far as your eyes can see.

Master
    Don't worry it'll not have a scratch on it if you had a road back to Damasko moment and found it. Failing that I'm sure the forum would dig deep to help you out. Pm if the new arrival doesn't do the job.

I really like the DA47 but even though some older 36-40mm options are proving more attractive currently I think I'd regret letting it go (long term).

Craftsman
    I used to be a massive fan (I've had DA36, DA37, DA47, DC66, DC67, DC67SI and DK101), but more recently I've started to go off them. The company seems to be running out of ideas, design wise, the forthcoming diver's watch is nothing out of the ordinary and could well be from any private label brand. The DK200 GMT watch appears to have inspired by Eterna's Royal Kontiki, but with much less style and some really clumsy detailing and now they seem to be releasing existing watches with a different coloured second hand and giving it a completely new model reference number!

The one watch that could have been good for Damasko was the DC86, but it appears that this model has been canned because they couldn't get the modified 7750 to work correctly.

Finally, their QC appears to have been left to watchmaker who made the watch to check, as opposed to employing somebody to check and take on the responsibility of every watch leaving the factory. Looking on Watchuseek there are a number of QC issues being reported that should never happen, eg - rub marks on new bracelets, shards of metal in movement, individual links of bracelets different colour and finish to remainder of bracelet, screws missing from bracelets! marks on bezels, foreign objects on dials, the DK101 I had, the caseback sapphire crystal wasn't seated correctly.

I understand their customer service is night and day better than it used to be, but I just think that they have run out of ideas and need to employ the services of good watch designer to take the brand to the next level, whilst also shoring up their quality control to ensure little niggles don't happen.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ROBANNENAGY View Post
    I used to be a massive fan (I've had DA36, DA37, DA47, DC66, DC67, DC67SI and DK101), but more recently I've started to go off them. The company seems to be running out of ideas, design wise, the forthcoming diver's watch is nothing out of the ordinary and could well be from any private label brand. The DK200 GMT watch appears to have inspired by Eterna's Royal Kontiki, but with much less style and some really clumsy detailing and now they seem to be releasing existing watches with a different coloured second hand and giving it a completely new model reference number!

The one watch that could have been good for Damasko was the DC86, but it appears that this model has been canned because they couldn't get the modified 7750 to work correctly.

Finally, their QC appears to have been left to watchmaker who made the watch to check, as opposed to employing somebody to check and take on the responsibility of every watch leaving the factory. Looking on Watchuseek there are a number of QC issues being reported that should never happen, eg - rub marks on new bracelets, shards of metal in movement, individual links of bracelets different colour and finish to remainder of bracelet, screws missing from bracelets! marks on bezels, foreign objects on dials, the DK101 I had, the caseback sapphire crystal wasn't seated correctly.

I understand their customer service is night and day better than it used to be, but I just think that they have run out of ideas and need to employ the services of good watch designer to take the brand to the next level, whilst also shoring up their quality control to ensure little niggles don't happen.
    Thanks, that's a good insight into the current state of the brand. That DK200 is shockingly bad!! Not many watches make me show such instant disgust as that one lol

Master
    Since March I've been trying to find a better option for a hardy watch that has second time zone capability, day display and timing complication and the DC66 is all I can find. So I've just ordered one and hopefully it wears well :-)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    I picked up a really nice DC66.

I liked it a lot and it was extremely wearable and versatile on leather, rubber, and NATO's.

But, unfortunately i didn't like it as much as my other watches. So rather than hold onto it and only wear it here and there moved it on in the quest for another.

That was a Breitling Steelfish which i preferred for different reasons. Now that one is up on SC as we speak.

I'd say get one from SC see what you think. If its not for you, i would hope you don't lose anything on it. You shouldn't do.

Regards to all,

Ben
    That is my exact same experience with DC66. I felt guilty for owning something I wasn't giddy about.

Master
    I took delivery of DK101 from SC a few weeks ago. Have to say that it is a substantial watch, but then I knew that before purchasing. It also definitely has a Teutonic feel of solidity. The clear case back reveals a lovely movement, of course. Basically, this is a really nice combination of technology and artistry which is unlike many (any ?) other watch out there which makes it a great watch to me. I would probably flip it if it enabled me to get one of my two or three grail watches but would otherwise regard it a a definite keeper.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I had a DC57 for a while - loved the watch but for me it just did not sit right on my wrist and flipped it

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Got a dc46 to replace gshock as daily wearer and it's standing up very well to all kinds of abuse. Very noisy movement, but not so bad it can't go on bedside table. Love it to bits and if I could only have one watch that'd be it. Fairly versatile which straps can be used too.

Not a fan of their chrono look, can't quite put my finger on why.