closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sinn U1

Craftsman

Sinn U1

What are the movements like in the Sinn U1? Reliable?
    And why can you only buy Sinn watches on-line ? I can't find them in the local shops.

Post your U1 pics if you have any :)

Currently thinking about the U1 on a leather strap. It looks awesome !

You can buy Sinns in shops, but there are few UK ADs.

They're not very actively marketed here.

Generally they're rock solid in terms of reliability, from all I've read, but I've no personal experience of the U1.

Here's an EZM7S to be going on with

M.

Craftsman
    Cheers.
    Is there anywhere in the City that sells Sinn ?

Quote Originally Posted by db3266 View Post
    Cheers.
    Is there anywhere in the City that sells Sinn ?
    Closest - https://www.pageandcooper.com/

M

Master
    I’ve never heard of anyone complaining about Sinn quality (or any other top German watches tbh)

Craftsman
    Page and Cooper are very good, but it's not a traditional shop, more an office in a business park with a viewing room. You should ring ahead for an appointment rather than just drop in if you plan a visit.

Last time I was in they didn't have a new U1 in stock to view, but the office manager had his with him so I got to check it out anyway. Solid watch that left me very tempted!

They are a great tool watch but the lume is not the best and they do wear tall
    When I bought mine they offered real value for money IMHO (sub £1000) but with the price rises since then, not so much now.
    My U1 had been worn in rotation since 2009 and still looks brand new.
    They are a tough watch.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    When I bought mine they offered real value for money IMHO (sub £1000) but with the price rises since then, not so much now.
    My U1 has been worn in rotation since 2009 and still looks brand new.
    They are a tough watch.

John

I've read this poor lume thing here a few times recently but never seen any complaints before and I've certainly got no complaints about the lume on mine. It's a different compound from the likes of that on the Seiko Monster, slightly less potent, and Sinn haven't sloshed it on by the bucketful in the way Seiko tend to so it will suffer in direct comparison but I find it perfectly adequate and glows throughout the night.

Craftsman
    Is the Tegimented version worth the extra money?
    I have been used to wearing a Rolex DSSD, so I'm not too concerned about the size of the U1.
    Last edited by db3266; 7th March 2017 at 13:50.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    I've read this poor lume thing here a few times recently but never seen any complaints before and I've certainly got no complaints about the lume on mine. It's a different compound from the likes of that on the Seiko Monster, slightly less potent, and Sinn haven't sloshed it on by the bucketful in the way Seiko tend to so it will suffer in direct comparison but I find it perfectly adequate and glows throughout the night.
    I had one a while ago (so compound might be different now) but the lume wasn't great. Pretty patchy looking in the dark and I had to charge it up with a light for it to be readable through the night. Now I have a Sinn 104 which has really excellent lume - on a par with Seiko and Omega despite the hands being much smaller than the U1.

When I say the lume is poor I mean in comparison to other watches I own. E.g. My Fortis has better lume as do my Seikos and Omegas
    As you say Sinn don't slosh it on but it's adequate for the job. As far as I can tell It's a characteristic of all Sinn watches
    Their lume coverage is far from the best.
    Regarding the hardend case, The standard U1 has a tegimented bezel and submarine steel case, this has proved very durable when compared to the standard steel used in the clasp.
    However if going for a bracelet I would pick fully tegimented as the brushed finish will show scratches and marks.

Craftsman
    Ok thanks, I would be going for a leather strap.

Ok thanks, I would be going for a leather strap.
    Get the bracelet. I haven't checked the current prices but it's probably not significantly more and you can add leather relatively cheaply, this isn't true the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Get the bracelet. I haven't checked the current prices but it's probably not significantly more and you can add leather relatively cheaply, this isn't true the other way around.
    I agree with this or if you don't like he bracelet get the rubber strap and large buckle
    The leather strap can be picked up for about £50
    It's a Di Modell chronissimo

Craftsman
    Good idea. Thanks.

Is the Tegimented version worth the extra money?
    My black EZM7S is completely unmarked, so I'd say the Tegimented finish is worthwhile.

M

Craftsman
    I have been used to wearing a Rolex DSSD, so I'm not too concerned about the size of the U1.
    I've had a DSSD and I have a U1. For me the U1 is much easier to wear - it doesn't seem as top heavy as the rolex. I think the U1 belongs on a bracelet though. I got mine on a Hirsch robby and didn't like it until I got the bracelet.

Craftsman
    So is the U1 roughly the same size as the DSSD?

Wearing mine right now on a red stitched dimodell chronissimo. I have the fully tegimented version, including the tegimented bracelet. However I find the bracelet too heavy and much prefer the look and feel on leather. As others have said the lume isn't great, but perfectly adequate. I think it may be weak because it's pure white in daylight as opposed to a creamier colour (I believe the pure white version of C1 lume paint is the weakest?) - I would agree they are very tough and well built, I went for the tegimented version as the teg steel s slightly darker grey and I thought it looked a bit cooler!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    So is the U1 roughly the same size as the DSSD?
    Think the DSSD is thicker. Completely different watches though. Breitling Seawolf kind of sits in the middle and is good value IMO.

If you can afford it you should try the U2 has more of the Sinn Tech

Or UX

Like Bazza says, U2 all the way. My go to Dive watch bar none. Highly recommended.

Craftsman
    I prefer the look of the U1. Simpler dial face, cleaner looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    My U1 had been worn in rotation since 2009 and still looks brand new.
    They are a tough watch.

John

I have quite a few Sinns and would agree with John, although I hadn't noticed so so lume. The movement in the U1 used to be an ETA 2824, but they may now be using Sellita or Soprod now.

Craftsman
    I think they use the Sellita SW 200-1 but I know nothing about the movements. Just started to research it......

Quote Originally Posted by Timelord View Post
    The movement in the U1 used to be an ETA 2824, but they may now be using Sellita or Soprod now.
    An SW 200-1 according to their website, which in turn is described on watch-wiki.net as "an automatic movement from Sellita based on the ETA 2824-2" and then modified "to improve reliability".

As above, the SW200 is the same as an ETA2824-2 i.e. a perfectly decent and reliable movement given the application. You'd be unlucky to have any issues with it and parts supply shouldn't ever be an issue.

As for the lume, I've experience of 4 different Sinns (and 3 Damaskos) and I'd say that the lume on all of them is OK, that's to say decent enough however not as bright as, for example, some Seikos I've owned. The thing for me is that given the level of engineering integrity and general uber tool watch status I think that the lume could, or perhaps even should, be better - it's as if it doesn't quite live up to the rest of the watch. Doesn't stop me loving them, though.

My U1T is impressive & has a good heft to it on the bracelet it benefits from having top grade sellita movement according to Sinn, its very accurate and reliable with smooth hand winding and good power reserve.

Craftsman
    Thanks. This thread needs more pictures :)

Craftsman
    Black watches are in Vogue at the moment, I like this one but not sure if it will date too quickly?

https://www.pageandcooper.com/sinn-u...leather-strap/

I think it may date but it is a nice version and I would wear it without worrying about such.
    Neil who is a member here runs a website called chronomaster.co.uk
    He is an authorised Sinn dealer and a top bloke to deal with.
    He would be my choice of retailer if buying a new Sinn.
    You are correct, this thread needs more pictures in order to show off the different versions.

Craftsman
    Thanks. This thread needs more pictures :)
    Here you go...

In an effort to add a picture or two...
    A lume shot, taken using my 'stand in the cupboard under the stairs with an iphone' technique

This U1 dates from 2008/2009 and as you can see the lume is a bit patchy on the hands and has a different intensity to the dial.

A comparison shot with L to R

U1, Pelagos and Seiko MM300

John

Craftsman
    The lume is not really an issue for me. It's a rare thing that I need to see the time without any lights on.
    The reason I like the U1 is because I simply like dive watches. I've had a number of high end watches in the past, Panerai's, Rolex etc, but I'm downgrading my investment in watches, but would still like a nice one to wear. The U1 just looks great and flys under the radar, those that know what it is know it's a cool watch. To others, it does not shout uber expensive, it's not Rolex shouty or Panerai massive bling (no offence to those that wear those watches, just an expression of how the U1 is 'unknown').

I have a Casio Mudmaster, but it's not really doing it for me as a main watch (bloody nice watch non the less), so I'm hunting down something that is a dress/tool dive watch that does not break the bank, hence the U1.

More pics please

Here you go

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Nice.

I found this review of the SE on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/3giAp8aGDrQ

I prefer the look of the U1. Simpler dial face, cleaner looks.
    I agree, I think the U1 is different enough to have the potential of becoming a classic