closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: The motivation weight loss thread

Craftsman
    Weigh in tomorrow. Was 75 kg. Hope I am < 80 kg tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Woo Hoo! Still stable at 61.4 Kgs this AM. How's everyone getting on? Jeepie how did it go?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Doing Ok, spot on for the eoy target.

My son has installed a ´gym´ in the attic but I don´t like it at all. Feels like wasting time.
    Cannot do any cycling at the moment but will take it up asap to shed the rest to meet the end target in the next two months. I want to be as trim as reasonably possible befóre spring arrives here.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 72bpm View Post
    Woo Hoo! Still stable at 61.4 Kgs this AM. How's everyone getting on? Jeepie how did it go?
    76.4 - so a 1.2 kg gain over Xmas. Not bad at all.

I have been reading "The Case Against Sugar" and I think I'll try to cut down my refine carbs and sugar. Two days till I'm back in the routine of work proper and I'm motivated to continue.

Not so good for me, weighed in at 15st 7lb, that over a stone i have gained. However I was travelling for the last 3 plus months and came back for Xmas, so I am not really surprised. First 8 mile run done this morning and no booze, chocolate of crap food and it will be gone in 4-6 weeks.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    Not so good for me, weighed in at 15st 7lb, that over a stone i have gained. However I was travelling for the last 3 plus months and came back for Xmas, so I am not really surprised. First 8 mile run done this morning and no booze, chocolate of crap food and it will be gone in 4-6 weeks.
    That's the spirit. Plus if you can just run 8 miles straight off you must have your fitness in pretty good shape! Best of luck!

Master
    Back on it today with a fast. Not as hard as I thought and I know after a couple more I’ll have shed any xmas excess and be motivated. Not sure of exact figures but I do know I’m at least 2 stone lighter than I was at the start of last year, so I’ll try and do more of what I did - nothing hardcore, just a couple of fasts a week and relatively normal eating the rest. Plus keeping up the walking.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    76.4 - so a 1.2 kg gain over Xmas. Not bad at all.

I have been reading "The Case Against Sugar" and I think I'll try to cut down my refine carbs and sugar. Two days till I'm back in the routine of work proper and I'm motivated to continue.
    I hop on the scales first thing every day - nothing to day with weight control, just interested in keeping data and seeing trends. I'm lighter than you, but even then 1.2kg is well within the sort of day to day variation I see. Plus/minus 2kg in a day is possible, depending what I've eaten, 'toilet timing' and such. So you may not have gained any weight at all over Christmas.

Master
    Good to see new year "resolutionists" out in large numbers. Saw far more than normal during my lunch time run yesterday. Collided with a woman when I turned a corner as she turned from the other side at the same time. Narrowly missed another at a different corner during the same session just a little bit later! Dreading my first gym session of the year and waiting for equipment.

Master
    Bug**r! Was a bit lax over the last 3 days, not pigging out but different food than I would normally have. My weight has slowly crept up to 62.5 Kgs. My normal lunch is a salad but last few days have been a buttered roll with some meat filling. Found out yesterday a brown roll is 210 Kcal!! Shocked to say the least, to compare by entire lunch earlier used to be <120 Kcal. Looking back over my dietary habits over the last few months - food are a lot more calorific than I thought!

Bug**r! Was a bit lax over the last 3 days, not pigging out but different food than I would normally have. My weight has slowly crept up to 62.5 Kgs. My normal lunch is a salad but last few days have been a buttered roll with some meat filling. Found out yesterday a brown roll is 210 Kcal!! Shocked to say the least, to compare by entire lunch earlier used to be <120 Kcal. Looking back over my dietary habits over the last few months - food are a lot more calorific than I thought!
    Eating less than 120 cal for lunch is nowhere near enough.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Eating less than 120 cal for lunch is nowhere near enough.
    Sorry 210 it was to be. I find the sheer volume of the salad kept me full. I do snack on fruits in between. A cold salad in winter doesn't sound very appealing! Hence the switch, I'm hoping it will stabilise over the next few days..
    If not will have to (very reluctantly) go back to salads!!

Grand Master
    Sounds like a few obsessives might want one of these

http://www.ohgizmo.com/2009/01/12/to...u-take-a-dump/
    RIAC

Craftsman
    Been watching this online PT's videos on Facebook called @JamesSmithPT. Makes everything really easy to understand and in a funny way too.

I can understand if people find him a bit marmite but he definitely speaks the truth!

Craftsman
    Sorry 210 it was to be. I find the sheer volume of the salad kept me full. I do snack on fruits in between. A cold salad in winter doesn't sound very appealing! Hence the switch, I'm hoping it will stabilise over the next few days..
    If not will have to (very reluctantly) go back to salads!!
    I like soup in winter. Filling and healthy - liquid salad?

Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    I like soup in winter. Filling and healthy - liquid salad?
    My Mrs bought me a soup maker for Christmas as I have soup a lot myself. It’s been a godsend already very easy to use and quick.

I have a lot of subway salad bowls as well but the soup maker will tie me over during winter

Master
    Back to 62.0! In fact over ate last night with pudding to boot, no alcohol involved! I think I'll have factor 1.5 to 2 Kgs as fluctuation. As I had mentioned in a previous post seeing the scales <62 was a boost me and the change to > 62 is kind of psychological. All in all still happy. Moved to the 'maintenance' phase as per MFP. So increase in permitted calorie intake from 1500 to 1790 plan to eat between 1600 to 1700. Let's see how it goes. Planning to start some form of exercise in the early 'summer'

Master
    I have lost about 18lbs; I hope to lose another 18lbs. I doubt there is any magic way of doing that, you just have to consume more calories than you eat. Pretty difficult, but then if it were easy, no-one would be over-weight.
    Very few worthwhile things are easy. Anyway, good luck to everyone struggling to lose weight. One good thing....it can be done.

Back at 105kg. I’ve decided I’m happy anywhere between 90kg and 120kg, so all good
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Time for me to stick my name in the hat. I was 14 stone this time last year but a move back to Ireland coupled with long hours in the office and a poor diet has me at 15-2 as of Saturday. I’ve found a nice gym about halfway between the office and home so planning on going there either on the way in or out of the office.

I’m aiming to get back to 14 stone again by Easter and will see where I go after that.
    Last edited by Enda; 8th January 2018 at 09:07.

I got weighed yesterday after 3 weeks not checking. Very pleased to say I was the exact same weight as I was last time which considering Christmas has been and gone.

Anyway 191lbs/87kg. Still a lot to go but this time last year I was 222lbs/101kg

Only gained 3 pounds between 1 Dec and now, and most of that was the last week of the year, with my snout in the trough nonstop

Master
    I would imagine that more people are starting diets/joining gyms today than any other day in the year, it being the 1st Monday in January (excluding NYD).

Good luck if you are. Small changes to begin with and nothing overly drastic is what I would recommend.

Master
    B****r! Weight has slowly crept up to 63.3 this AM. My own fault really, Been a bit lax with what I've been eating.
    The increased calorie 'allowance' by MFP and my carb consumption has gone up. Just need to be a bit careful over the next two weeks or so. Hopefully weight should come back to under 62.

Master
    How's everyone's NY going?

I'm still motivated and starting to see some results.

Master
    When I posted back in March last year I was 82 kg.

Since then I have been sticking to my low carb regime (over xmas alcohol was consumed but I stayed low carb otherwise and lost half a kilo!).

Anyway, I started the year at 76 kg which I am very pleased with.

I always allowed myself a beer and the odd glass of wine in the week but due to my addiction to cycling I have decided to cut that out as I want to lose another 5-6 kg to improve my power-to-weight. Currently at 74 kg so making progress...

My weight loss is a bit stagnant at the moment (87kg from 102kg this time last year). Been like this for a few months although with fluctuations.

However, I'm seeing big changes in myself. Eating healthily, gym 4-6 times a week and sessions with a PT. Really enjoying it and going to block book another 10 next week.

My goal is to get back below 13st so I'm not far off but need to push. Be back out cycling soon as well which will be a big push of mine this year

Craftsman
    Am still at 85kg but kept pretty steady weight over Christmas indulgence. Am still off tge booze and not gonna drink alcohol until I hit my 80kg target.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

No booze since NYE, and been doing a couple of fasting days per week, then keeping it pretty simple the rest of the time.

Lost 11lb at last weigh-in (and been pretty f-ing hungry). I need to lose another 5lb to get to the middle of my long-term average weight range.

I’m staying off booze for the next week or so, then try and go in for a soft landing, and bring back in sensible drinking and eating.

Master
    Fluctuating between 62 and 63.5. Nowadays I don't weigh myself over the weekend. Hoping to 'change' the fluctuations to 61 - 62 Kgs. Let me see how it goes.

Grand Master
    Cant emphasis enough that you need to stop weighing yourself if you are returning or new to the gym as muscle is making you heavy and fat is being burned off so the weight won’t change but the proportions of each will
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Cant emphasis enough that you need to stop weighing yourself if you are returning or new to the gym as muscle is making you heavy and fat is being burned off so the weight won’t change but the proportions of each will
    Totally true. I’ve been beasting the gym and avoiding refined carbs and I’ve only lost 2kg but am down two notches on my belt!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Exactly. I have lost hardly 2-4 kg since change in circumstances and regime but down 2 inches in the waist department, thighs feel thinner, calves visibly more toned etc. etc. ... and last month needed to take another link out of my BLNR bracelet as I could no longer live with it being so loose.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    A bit--- well demotivating here.

I am out with the bicycles a ot and doing fysical work, sticking neatly to healthy food.
    Yet, gaíning weight.
    All muscle. More than all as I also am still converting fat into muscle, but it is rather annoying to see móre kilos on the scale when spending so much energy.

I know what the crux is; I am feeding the body to repair the tissue damage and as such build more muscle fibres. Not much I can do about it without eating insufficiently and risk lowering my resistance.
    Really éverybody around me has caught colds, flu or worse, caughing and snottering the agents into my general direction and I am sailing through with a clean bit of health so I am well chuffed about thát.
    Still almost frustrating to see 3 kilos móre on the scales while I would have liked to see 3 léss :-(

Anyway, patience is the solution; just keep doing what I am doing and come spring weather it will balance out. I wíll get the weight those 6 kilos down and then I will reap the ratio benefits of both more power and less weight.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    A bit--- well demotivating here.

All muscle. More than all as I also am still converting fat into muscle, but it is rather annoying to see móre kilos on the scale when spending so much energy.
    Don't mean to be pedantic and you probably know this already but you can't turn fat into muscle, they are two different things.

I was under this impression when I was younger and without the internet.

One thing is, if calories out is more than calories in and your weight is going up, it's going to be muscle if you're lifting iron

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    Don't mean to be pedantic and you probably know this already but you can't turn fat into muscle, they are two different things.
    Yes I know; the missing link is lots of excersize with burning fat and repairing/building musles on opposite ends of it with different processes.

So yes, body fat is far from literally converted into muscle and I will happily call it shape shifting through different excersize levels if you like.

Anyway, right in the middle of this challenging conflict; I want to gain strength = gain muscle mass ánd loose weight = burn fat, before the next race.
    I would líke to drop 5 kilos in five weeks but that is not going to work. At least not without losing condition as well. Sigh... See the ´demotivating´aspect?

Did four days of highly intense mtb rides with good food.
    Had a rest day today.
    Tomorrow a lóóóng, about 3k cal. fat burning road bicycle ride is planned.
    Then the last 5 kms home I will go as deep as I can and that will see me burning energy still.

By all means help me out with practical advise.
    I do have the time and I have nó issues with doing the work, putting the effort in. I like the ´pain´, the endorfins actually.

Next week there is a ccccóld front coming so although uncomfortable very nice for training as it eliminates cooling issues. I have planned time for about 4 hours netto excersize/day for 5 days.
    Looking forward to a week of excersize on the road and mountain bikes so please dó suggest the most efffective ways to the goal.

Yes I know; the missing link is lots of excersize with burning fat and repairing/building musles on opposite ends of it with different processes.

So yes, body fat is far from literally converted into muscle and I will happily call it shape shifting through different excersize levels if you like.

Anyway, right in the middle of this challenging conflict; I want to gain strength = gain muscle mass ánd loose weight = burn fat, before the next race.
    I would líke to drop 5 kilos in five weeks but that is not going to work. At least not without losing condition as well. Sigh... See the ´demotivating´aspect?

Did four days of highly intense mtb rides with good food.
    Had a rest day today.
    Tomorrow a lóóóng, about 3k cal. fat burning road bicycle ride is planned.
    Then the last 5 kms home I will go as deep as I can and that will see me burning energy still.

By all means help me out with practical advise.
    I do have the time and I have nó issues with doing the work, putting the effort in. I like the ´pain´, the endorfins actually.

Next week there is a ccccóld front coming so although uncomfortable very nice for training as it eliminates cooling issues. I have planned time for about 4 hours netto excersize/day for 5 days.
    Looking forward to a week of excersize on the road and mountain bikes so please dó suggest the most efffective ways to the goal.
    Dropping 5k in 5 weeks is roughly an additional 1k calerie burn per day! Over and above your normal. You can do this by more exercise or less food; a bit of both is more beneficial for most. Use a calorie counting app, it will make the difference - otherwise you are just guessing. Using the app, you can pretty accurately predict the loss for 3-5 weeks. Any longer and you would be recalculating quite a lot for the initial weight lost already.

Keep your protein higher while you are looking to lose fat. Keep your fats moderately high, and try to just cut the carbs for most of the food loss.

Easier said/typed than done!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Dropping 5k in 5 weeks is roughly an additional 1k calerie burn per day! Over and above your normal.
    The app I have tells me that I spend about 750 kCal/hour when road cycling the way I do.
    Some days it notches up 3k Cals.
    The weather is the trouble at the moment. Most days I cannot go out on the tarmac safely so it is mtb and with that one the effort is wáy higher and feeding the machine so it can repair the damage, means adding muscle mass. Ok for more power which I álso want but it does not lower the weight which would see me needing less effort getting up the slopes.

Easier said/typed than done!
    No doubt about that!!

I would reallyréally like to enter the ´Extreme Challenge´ mtb event in March and, given sufficient condition to do the kilometers, that is all about the power to weight ratio; every kilo lost sensibly equals over one % of effort less.

Thanks for the advice.

The app I have tells me that I spend about 750 kCal/hour when road cycling the way I do.
    Some days it notches up 3k Cals.
    The weather is the trouble at the moment. Most days I cannot go out on the tarmac safely so it is mtb and with that one the effort is wáy higher and feeding the machine so it can repair the damage, means adding muscle mass. Ok for more power which I álso want but it does not lower the weight which would see me needing less effort getting up the slopes.

No doubt about that!!

I would reallyréally like to enter the ´Extreme Challenge´ mtb event in March and, given sufficient condition to do the kilometers, that is all about the power to weight ratio; every kilo lost sensibly equals over one % of effort less.
    The assumption of adding muscle mass is not correct though. You can not add additional muscle mass, at least not at our age, on a calorie deficit!

Therefore, if you follow the overall expenditure of energy, or reduction in intake, you can quite accurately predict weight loss over weeks. It’s not rocket science - some very stupid people in my gym manage it multiple times each year for their physique competitions.
    It's just a matter of time...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    The assumption of adding muscle mass is not correct though. You can not add additional muscle mass, at least not at our age, on a calorie deficit!
    Hence my observation about feeding the machine to repair the damage ;-)
    No energy deficit possible then; true.

Therefore the 5 kilos are not realistic even though I spend quite a lot more energy on the bikes.

Therefore, if you follow the overall expenditure of energy, or reduction in intake, you can quite accurately predict weight loss over weeks.
    The app says 1794 kCal. spent with the not too exhausting ride ride. I averaged 21 km/h.

Lunch with lettuce/apple salad and grilled chicken breast.
    The planned diner is yoghurt, no cruesli.

Grand Master
    I don't think i've weighed myself in well over a decade, it's something people get way too focused on, or depressed about. I tend to use clothing as a guide to what my weight should be, if i fit into the 32" stuff, then i'm happy, if i can't then i tend to try and cut down the calories and do a bit more exercise.

Master
    Morning all, just to update, Still steady at 62.7 Kgs as of yesterday. Haven't weighed myself today.
    How's everyone doing?

According to hospital scales, have list 5 kg since nov/dec.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Keep this alive for the next week guys.
    I múst get all fat I reasonably can, burned off this week.
    For the 4th on March I have entered in an extreme mtb marathon and every kilo I do not have to haul up the inclines is a kilos less weighing me down.

Up to the heaviest I have been since 2016 - 11st 4lbs. Put on 4lbs dead over December owing to three weeks off work. I'm 5'11.

Have really tipped over the edge in terms of lost definition in those 4lbs as I'm quite thinly framed (as you can imagine relative to some of the more substantial numbers being posted on here) - abs definition has faded considerably, deltoid separation definition has softened a lot too.

Possibly starting in March I will look to cut back to around 10st 7lbs which will make me positively lean again and shouldn't take much more than 8 weeks. If I don't start to turn things around quickly I'll no longer fit in any of my suits.

A little bit of misinformation being thrown around in the thread. Yes, it's important not to rely on scale weight too acutely when recently beginning or having stopped training. It's not that there is a gain in muscle mass/sudden loss in fat, it's that if you're lifting half regularly and eating more your body will start retaining far more water and glycogen on any given day and over your first couple of weeks you can expect to hold 1-3 more kg depending on your starting weight. None of it is muscle tissue even though your muscles will look more full. The reverse is true when you stop training.

Expectations of muscle mass gain seem a bit all over the shop too! I'm 25 and even then I'm far too old to be able to lose fat while gaining any muscle mass. I train 4-5 times a week and if I can put on 3lbs of muscle in a year I will consider that an incredible result. My aim is to be 11st while having ~10% body-fat and I'm hoping to get there by the end of 2022!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex View Post
    A little bit of misinformation being thrown around in the thread. Yes, it's important not to rely on scale weight too acutely when recently beginning or having stopped training. It's not that there is a gain in muscle mass/sudden loss in fat, it's that if you're lifting half regularly and eating more your body will start retaining far more water and glycogen on any given day and over your first couple of weeks you can expect to hold 1-3 more kg depending on your starting weight. None of it is muscle tissue even though your muscles will look more full. The reverse is true when you stop training.

Expectations of muscle mass gain seem a bit all over the shop too! I'm 25 and even then I'm far too old to be able to lose fat while gaining any muscle mass. I train 4-5 times a week and if I can put on 3lbs of muscle in a year I will consider that an incredible result. My aim is to be 11st while having ~10% body-fat and I'm hoping to get there by the end of 2022!
    So if one's waist has visibly reduced with relatively little weight loss, what would you put that effect down to? Considering no change in diet before, during and after a minor shape shift, only increased and modified training.

FK77

Sounds like fat loss with an offset in weight having come about from water retention in muscles (which wouldn't necessarily be held around the waist in the same way fat would, depending on how you're genetically predisposed) from the increased intensity in training.

Also depends what 'relatively little' means, fat placement and displacement is genetically determined and some people at a certain weight will have 80% of that 'couple of pounds' they've just lost come straight off their hips/chest/belly, for others it'll be a tiny bit off numerous areas and not be so visibly noticeable.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex View Post
    FK77

Sounds like fat loss with an offset in weight having come about from water retention in muscles (which wouldn't necessarily be held around the waist in the same way fat would, depending on how you're genetically predisposed) from the increased intensity in training.

Also depends what 'relatively little' means, fat placement and displacement is genetically determined and some people at a certain weight will have 80% of that 'couple of pounds' they've just lost come straight off their hips/chest/belly, for others it'll be a tiny bit off numerous areas and not be so visibly noticeable.
    OK I agree that without numbers, nothing makes much sense so ...

Height: 5'11"
    Weight loss: Only about 3kg (down from about 87-88kg)
    Waist reduction: About 2.5" (down from 36.5")
    Hip circumference has also gone down but I have no measures and I know this purely based on fitting of trousers.
    Thighs have also become slimmer but again, no measures, just visible difference.
    Wrists have changed too ... watch bracelet requiring link removal.

Given how heavy I am and knowing my fluctuation can easily be up to 1.5kg from day to day, I see 3kg as a very little decrease. Especially considering the above changes in the body. So I just attributed it to gaining muscle mass, albeit without any scientific proof.

My understanding is that while you can target building/toning certain muscles, you don't lose fat from only one particular area (rather the entire body) as a result of working out. I have always been told by professionals that claims about certain types of training 'focusing' on reducing belly or hip fat are untrue.

I am not dismissing what you said ... I am no expert and wouldn't know enough to dispute. Perhaps there is more to it and as you say genetics play a bigger role than I thought. Just curious why my weight hasn't gone down in line (in my opinion) with the changes mentioned above.

PS: 'Before' and 'after' doesn't mean I wasn't training prior to these changes ... still used to go to the gym 4 days a week on average. It's just that now I go to the gym twice a week (but do longer and more intense sessions) plus run outdoors (as opposed to treadmill) 2-3 times a week.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    My body fat gets distributed all over the place save for my legs.
    Always been blessed with very rapid muscle repair and resulting build up.
    Furthermore high metabolic rate, low heart rate, large lung capacity.

Anyway, split logs with sledgehammer and wedges yesterday afternoon.
    Did 45 extreme mtb kilometers this morning.
    This afternoon timmed three large palms.

Plan for tomorrow is mtb again in the morning.
    Log splitting in the afternoon.

Plan for Thursday is a fast as possible 60 km ride with the road bicycle.

Friday will go as on an mtb ride with a school class of 15 -16 y.o.s which will keep me occupied for most of the day. I expect it to be more draining than the rest of the week together.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Plan for tomorrow is mtb again in the morning.
    1480 kCals. spent observed the app.

Plan for Thursday is a fast as possible 60 km ride with the road bicycle.
    Went a bit further; 2470 kCal.