closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Top Gear style cool\uncool wall

Top Gear style cool\uncool wall

I always enjoyed the discussion on TG when it came to what should and shouldn't be on the cool wall. To that end I thought it might be fun to do something similar here, so without further ado I put forward the Omega Railmaster from a decade ago. On paper it lags behind the new Aqua Terra with it's 8500 movement, upgraded bracelet and anti-magnetic properties, even a James Bond tie in can't help me feel that while it's undoubtedly a great watch, it's just not quite as cool as the previous offering.

Let's see what else is out there that you think should be on either side of the wall and why.

Last edited by Morning Wood; 6th March 2017 at 17:23.

Master
    Interesting concept, but surely "coolness" depends on context?
    Take an easy one a Rolex Sub, I've heard it all cool, too brash or showy, whichever you want?

My choice at the moment is a 5513, which I like in an ironic cool way, i.e it's only cool to WIS.

Based on the proper cool wall criteria:

Last edited by Uriel; 6th March 2017 at 18:07.

Grand Master
    Far too subjective; what one guy thinks is cool will make the wearer look like a knob to someone else.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Far too subjective; what one guy thinks is cool will make the wearer look like a knob to someone else.

Paul
    It's just a bit of fun to ask what people think is cool or not, there's no right or wrong answer.

Craftsman
    I like your idea, but im not sure it will work here, every single watch out there is cool in someones eyes, unfortunately!

Good choice with the Railmaster, not many could deny that.

I see what your trying to do though and im gonna go with this...

Palagos has always been a cool watch for me

Blog Entries
    I'm going to go with this ...

Under the radar, a bit leftfield, but lovely (70's) design cues & attenion to detail & very nicely finished.

On the downside - I just got one, so by the rules of the cool wall... it's damned.

z

Quote Originally Posted by trainspanner View Post
    I like your idea, but im not sure it will work here, every single watch out there is cool in someones eyes, unfortunately!

To be fair they would both make it on the cool wall, but the older version would be placed slightly higher up.

As for the railmaster......cool on leather.....not cool on a bracelet.

Funny one, but for me the explorer is the other way around, even though they're pretty similar in concept.

Master
    Not much argument on the Railmaster, it's really having a moment. The best discontinued recent Omega everybody loves and nobody bought. Let's see if Omega can hit the jackpot at Baselworld.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that some of the coolest Rolex are the Oysterquartz, the 1016, and the 1019 vintage Milgauss. That is if Rolex can be cool! What about ghost bezel subs and Tudor Snowflakes you say? The trouble is, everyone knows they are cool, which might be a problem for cool people.

But if you really want to go all the way, you'll need a vintage GS. So cool no one else will have the faintest idea how cool it is! Until you explain why in some detail, which will probably ruin it... ;-)

Last edited by Itsguy; 7th March 2017 at 00:25.

Blog Entries
    These ones for the cool wall - at least my cool wall. Take 2

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 6th March 2017 at 20:09.

Uncool!

Slow down everyone...I'm taking notes.

These are on my wall

Journeyman
    I didn't know what the rules of the cool wall were - google to the rescue- it seems that a primary rule is that the presenters cars could not be cool. Following this, suggesting a watch you own would be uncool, but suggesting a watch you would like to own or have sold could be considered a cool watch. The thread will become more of a list of aspirations and regrets. Still looking forward to the suggestions.
    As I don't own one, I think the PRS82 is very cool.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I seem to recall all of the presenters at one time or another including a car that they owned......

Master
    Clarkson shouts down any objections to his opinion and everyone else submits ... not the best way to determine which is the coolest watch when everyone thinks they're Clarkson ...

OK - I exaggerate ... but possibly too personal for people to agree in my opinion

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    Clarkson shouts down any objections to his opinion and everyone else submits ... not the best way to determine which is the coolest watch when everyone thinks they're Clarkson ...

OK - I exaggerate ... but possibly too personal for people to agree in my opinion
    Possibly interesting if not taken too seriously though, partly because the coolest one is not necessarily the best, or most luxurious. Luxury itself is rarely 'cool' really, no matter how seductive and enjoyable it can be.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Cool wall.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Tag kirium - uncool wall, but they seem to have their admirers.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Tag kirium - uncool wall, but they seem to have their admirers.
    Yes mate, I would go along with that, my mate had one stolen during a house robbery, I was please for him!

Original Omega Ploprof.

Tudor Black Bay - only watch 2015

Rolex GMT 16750
    It's just a matter of time...

All watches worn by people who are interested in watches are uncool by definition. The coolest watch I've ever seen by a country mile was an old Submariner 1680 on a velcro nylon strap, missing its bezel worn by a man on a beach in Devon taking groups on sealife scavenge hunts. He'd clearly worn the same watch for two or three decades and the fact that it was a Rolex was neither here nor there to him. It was just his watch, used every day for the purpose originally intended.

The more conscious you are of the watch on your wrist, the less cool it is, regardless of what it actually is (in my opinion of course).

Martin

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC View Post
    All watches worn by people who are interested in watches are uncool by definition. The coolest watch I've ever seen by a country mile was an old Submariner 1680 on a velcro nylon strap, missing its bezel worn by a man on a beach in Devon taking groups on sealife scavenge hunts. He'd clearly worn the same watch for two or three decades and the fact that it was a Rolex was neither here nor there to him. It was just his watch, used every day for the purpose originally intended.

The more conscious you are of the watch on your wrist, the less cool it is, regardless of what it actually is (in my opinion of course).

Martin
    Charming story. Love it and I hope to have the same connection one day.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Having seen one of these a couple of weekends ago "in the flesh":

Doesn't try too hard, flies under the radar, impeccable build quality, even the wife likes it. Cool imo.

Master
    Cool wall.

Well, what a classy piece.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Master
    Yes mate, I would go along with that, my mate had one stolen during a house robbery, I was please for him!
    Hahahahaha. True dat.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

MM300
    Most Sinns
    Snowflake GS
    1680 Sub
    IWC Mk XV

Loads more...

Cool wall.
    Is that yours, C?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Is that yours, C?
    I wish!
    I think the old ug uni/bi compaxes are some of the coolest watches out there. I don't have one.

Master
    Well, I like watches and I like this one, so it can't be that cool... but it's somehow so OTT that it is somehow cool anyway. ;)

Hi

IMHO nothing is cooler than a vintage ' Tropical ' or ' chocolate ' dial....each to their own of course

Best - Neil

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by flame View Post
    Hi

IMHO nothing is cooler than a vintage ' Tropical ' or ' chocolate ' dial....each to their own of course

Best - Neil
    Whilst I agree for the most part - that one is a bit too 'chocolatey' for me. ;)

z

Sent from a phone using this TZ-UK app

Craftsman
    Tweet the concept choose of 2 simular watches and decide which is cool or not or vote.

As below was the first double to be posted. I don't know about movements and they both look almost identical making this tough. However I think the older one is cooler and more apritiated by (insert here) as a braclet is alway liked and can insure most things. The nato on the new is just trying to hard and is to new. However if the new were to come with a bracelet or the old were to be placed on a nato and can be seen to be worn this would maybe change the situation.

Master
    Cool wall.

Wrong. Vintage Universal Geneve watches are so cool, they need their own freezer. Like the DB9 on the original Top Gear.

There's a big birthday for this one coming up, it will be 30 on Friday, but still looking good.

Journeyman
    JLC deep sea chronograph, just a beautifully cool watch, heritage influences but not trying to be too 'vintage'...

Image curtesy of the JLC website.

Quote Originally Posted by jl smout View Post
    Wrong. Vintage Universal Geneve watches are so cool, they need their own freezer. Like the DB9 on the original Top Gear.
    Another vote for this watch, very cool and versatile watch.

Top Gear style cool\uncool wall

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post

One thing sensible from the cool wall segment was that if the presenters owned the car it instantly became uncool. Which makes the idea really interesting here because having to nominate someone else to be cool, and avoid all the humble brag opportunities, would probably make certain peoples heads explode.

Edit: sorry that last bit sounded like a dig at you, it wasn't at all!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

My coolest watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Having seen one of these a couple of weekends ago "in the flesh":

Doesn't try too hard, flies under the radar, impeccable build quality, even the wife likes it. Cool imo.

Very cool. The only diver I’ve ever liked (and I like it a lot). A great grandson of the first modern diver (heritage!) — and elegant to boot.

Rolex Oysterquartz (17000) stainless steel beater; Cartier Santos quartz in steel/gold for dress wear; Audemars Piguet Huitième chronograph in yellow gold; Glashütte Original Senator Excellence (classic dial) in steel; Glashütte Original Panoreserve (blue dial) in steel.
    Need more . . . .

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    Based on the proper cool wall criteria:

second that dufour!!
    Last edited by td1596; 17th October 2017 at 16:45.