closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What's going on with my Eco-drive?

What's going on with my Eco-drive?

I've got an AT0660-56E that I've had since 2010 that since Christmas has decided to randomly stop at times. At first I thought it was just a winter thing, it's been out of rotation a few days a week and probably hasn't had enough sun, but I'm not getting the two second skip low battery warning. This evening it stopped, and only when I put the watch down on my desk (which wasn't a hard landing at all), stopping at the time I took it off. Having picked it up and put it back on the wrist after adjusting the time it carried on as if nothing was wrong, before getting stuck again about two minutes later for 30 seconds. Looking at the seconds hand dial, it seems to stick at the bottom of the minute before getting stuck then skipping through 7-8 seconds at a time, only for the next minute to have no problems completing a cycle. Last week the chronograph function was playing up and instead of resetting to zero reset to 58 seconds, causing me to manually advance it, the second time since Christmas I've had to do this and only the third time ever in my ownership. On the off chance this was low power, the watch has been left on the window for two sunny days and is worn 4 days a week in a naturally well-lit office but this seems to have had little effect.

I'm assuming it's going to need to go back to Citizen?

I'm assuming you're right.

Apprentice
    Have you tried a full reset, the following is taken from the Citizen website rebooting seems to work for all other compuers): Before executing the all-reset, rst check that the watch is fully charged and that the second hand is moving in 1-second intervals.
    If the all-reset is executed while the watch is insuf ciently charged, subsequent operations will become impossible and the watch will completely stop.
    1. Rotate the crown while in position 1 to align the mode hand with chronograph [CHR] mode.
    2. Pull the crown out two steps to position 2 (reference or 0-position correction mode).
    • Each hand and the date will move to their recorded reference or 0-positions and then
    stop.
    3. Simultaneously press and hold both the upper and lower right buttons (A) and (B) for
    approximately 2 seconds, then release.
    • A con rmation sound will be emitted, and then a hand movement demonstration
    will be performed in order of second hand, hour hand/minute hand/24-hour hand, and function hand/date to indicate that the all-reset has completed.
    Note:
    After the all-reset, always correct the reference or 0-positions for each hand. Then correctly adjust each mode before using the watch.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Just a bump for this - Citizen have quoted £112 for a service and new glass which is fine, but they've quoted in their estimate "all external parts scratched/worn" at £0.00 - what exactly do I interpret this as? They've not told me what the problem is either, they're just listing a service at £84 to fix it.

Blog Entries
    Wow £112 - is the watch worth more sentimentally than a new model retails or other ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was only £199 7 years ago so it's probably not worth repairing but I'm a little miffed for a watch sold as never needing a battery change that it's dying already. Trouble is the model I've got doesn't have a modern equivalent I don't think but I haven't looked too closely.

It never needs a battery is misleading. That battery cell will need to be replaced at some point, 10-20 years on average, at which time the cost of replacement will equal or exceed that of a new Eco Drive replacement.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostintime View Post
    It never needs a battery is misleading. That battery cell will need to be replaced at some point, 10-20 years on average, at which time the cost of replacement will equal or exceed that of a new Eco Drive replacement.
    Yes its a real hoax imo, eco drive, kinetics, solar etc. I always told customers to buy a normal battery powered watch instead, better in the long run.

Master
    id expect they will change the movement and fit a new cell then pressure test- that's what your paying for- Im sending a perp calendar back for an new sapphire

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    id expect they will change the movement and fit a new cell then pressure test- that's what your paying for- Im sending a perp calendar back for an new sapphire
    I expect so - I've asked them to send it back and I'll put the money towards an Oris ProPilot Date instead. Worst case scenario I just leave the watch on the windowsill for a few weeks and see if that makes any difference. It's a nice enough watch, but it is pretty beaten up as it was my daily wear for 5 years so it probably had it's moneys worth.

Master
    My partner has one she uses when swimming or doing chores. They aren't expensive and if it lasts six tough years that would be fair enough. Cheaper to just buy another one...they only cost about £100.

Master
    Pop it in a clear food container an put it in the garden- I did this on one of mine took a week or so to come to full charge- Alternatively im going for a week in Tenerife in 2 week - ill give a week inthe4 sun :-)

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Pop it in a clear food container an put it in the garden- I did this on one of mine took a week or so to come to full charge- Alternatively im going for a week in Tenerife in 2 week - ill give a week inthe4 sun :-)
    I put my Seiko Solar on a cheap strap then taped it to the gazebo, so it got 3 days of direct sunlight.

Sorted it right out. Working perfectly now.