closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: New Top Gear

It's as if they don't have enough money to add a different proper section into the programme so the guest has to fill in.

It's dull, really dull and unwatchable in parts. I was cringing at some of the forced dialogue.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    It's dull, really dull and unwatchable in parts. I was cringing at some of the forced dialogue.
    Totally agree I think it is just dreadful.

Master
    I liked the Cuba bit with Chris and Rory , the more I watch I realise the issue is another wooden host telling contrived jokes and giving the impression he'd rather be having major dental surgery that be there. It's just nothing like the old days is it........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    For me the original Top Gear (CHM) was unmissable, this one I record and may watch if I have nothing better to do.

I'll happily watch repeats of the Clarkson/Hammond/May era Top Gear on Dave.

I don't think I'll bother with the new, unimproved version. While Matt LeBlanc makes a decent job of anchoring the programme, although it's impossible to believe that he isn't an actor reading from a script, Chris Harris is a dull man trying to be interesting (and failing), while Rory Reid is just taking up space and wasting airtime. He hasn't said anything funny or intelligent at all, and seems to be a square peg in a round hole.

Even Fifth Gear wasn't as bad as this, and look what happened to that.

Master
    That's a very good point .. it's not worthy of Dave

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That's a very good point .. it's not worthy of Dave

And that really is saying something!!

I've enjoyed this season of TG until that episode. The Cuba part was okay but the rest was drivel. However, overall, I think I've enjoyed it more than The Grand Tour.

I was out and about today in my old 911 and saw a load of Rally prepared classics, including a Mercedes SL, a Stag, a few old 911's, a rather nice Alfa, etc. Any way, got to Wilton Roundabout and I saw a White (with Blue decals) 72 2.7RS driven by someone who looked just like Monkey Harris. Given that it's a 300K car, he is a massive Porsche fan, I convienced it was the man himself

he even gave me a wave. Nice.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Blog Entries
    Really liked tonight's show and one reason was my all time car nut hero and great guy JK was back on

That car yacht cost a fortune.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Really liked tonight's show and one reason was my all time car nut hero and great guy JK was back on
    Did you notice what watch JK was wearing?

Craftsman
    Not watched any of this series of TG but caught tonight's episode and was good.

One question though - the red 911 (that is on the shelf with the Lambo) looks like an impact bumper 3.2 Carerra but has it got a different spoiler or was the camera angle deceiving me ?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
    Looked like a Submariner (but I don't know my Rolex watches so may be wrong).

Defo a Rolex though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gavsw20 View Post
    Looked like a Submariner (but I don't know my Rolex watches so may be wrong).

Defo a Rolex though.
    Definitely a submariner date but not sure whether it was a 16610 or 116610.

I thought I saw flashes of blue and was thinking along the lines of a BLNR.

Hands up who wants a go in that 8-wheeler!

I really enjoyed tonight's episode.

Although the interview with Bernie was a bit incongruous, it's nice to see them trying something different. I think they could afford to flex the format a bit more next season.

The Ssanyacht was amazing.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    That 8 wheeler at 88K seems extraordinary value for money.

Blog Entries
    Like others, I really enjoyed last night's episode and it reminded me of the good old CMH days of TG. The "star" segment worked really well too due to JK's passion for cars (which always shines through). He would have been top of the leader board too, had he not run a bit wide on one of the corners.

Whilst last nights episode was one of the weaker in the series, it was still pretty good in my book.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    On the whole I have enjoyed this season. With a few tweaks it could be really good. The star thing doesn't work (sad collection of 'stars' as well!), this week was ok because of JK and his love of cars, loved his face when he didn't get top spot on the board!

Rory is just meh and could easily leave or be changed, might be nice to have a woman on the team (just not a German one please!). Maybe the woman that was on the Gadget show (suzi peri), always liked her. I think Joey and Chris Harris work really well and are finding their groove, also really enjoy their individual reviews.

Master
    Pretty good last night that 8 wheeled thing was mental

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    That 8 wheeler at 88K seems extraordinary value for money.
    Totally agreed, however I hate to think how much a new set of tyres would costs.

I enjoyed it - except for every time Eddie spoke.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by gavsw20 View Post
    Not watched any of this series of TG but caught tonight's episode and was good.

One question though - the red 911 (that is on the shelf with the Lambo) looks like an impact bumper 3.2 Carerra but has it got a different spoiler or was the camera angle deceiving me ?
    I believe the Countach and Testarossa are Harry Metcalfe's, here's a film of his garage last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjFWJ3hvUKU

Is that the 911 or is it a different one?

I still don't understand the point of Rory Reid, he doesn't seem to contribute anything.

They need a proper comedian on the show, joining Monkey and LeBlanc. The celebrity interviews are just cringeworthy, no one seems to know how to go off script. I'd try someone like Jimmy Carr.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    On the whole I have enjoyed this season. With a few tweaks it could be really good. The star thing doesn't work (sad collection of 'stars' as well!), this week was ok because of JK and his love of cars, loved his face when he didn't get top spot on the board!

Rory is just meh and could easily leave or be changed, might be nice to have a woman on the team (just not a German one please!). Maybe the woman that was on the Gadget show (suzi peri), always liked her. I think Joey and Chris Harris work really well and are finding their groove, also really enjoy their individual reviews.

Pretty well sums up my thoughts - Suzi would be great ;-)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I believe the Countach and Testarossa are Harry Metcalfe's, here's a film of his garage last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjFWJ3hvUKU

Is that the 911 or is it a different one?

I still don't understand the point of Rory Reid, he doesn't seem to contribute anything.

They need a proper comedian on the show, joining Monkey and LeBlanc. The celebrity interviews are just cringeworthy, no one seems to know how to go off script. I'd try someone like Jimmy Carr.
    Thanks. Is that the chap from the Evo magazine ?

I saw some YT videos he did on some 80's classics, lovely bits of kit and seemed like a humble chap.

Master
    Blog Entries
    After Harris did the run down on the Cayman, prices might go up for the 6cyl just as I am starting to search for one of the last ones. Drat

A 4-cylinder porker, who'd have thunk it? I'm no Porsche fan but there are standards, surely. Then again I vowed I'd never have an engine less than 2 litre but my next is 1.4, though with a supercharger and turbo. Just a Caddy!

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    A 4-cylinder porker, who'd have thunk it? I'm no Porsche fan but there are standards, surely. Then again I vowed I'd never have an engine less than 2 litre but my next is 1.4, though with a supercharger and turbo. Just a Caddy!
    They have a history, with 550, 912 and 914 for example.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Isn't the 924 also 4 cylinder?

Journeyman
    Mine was! Only car i've ever made money on.

Bought for £600 and sold for £650.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    The 924 and the 944 and the 968. All four cylinder.

Absolutely. I only quoted those 3 as examples.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Those supercharged and turbocharged units are superb!

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BSB View Post
    The 924 and the 944 and the 968. All four cylinder.
    IIRC the 944S2 and 968's were the largest four pots ever made for the mass market - three litres.

I drove a 944S2 many times - fantastic thing in the day, probably still pretty good now.

Interesting and pretty well balanced article on the overall success of the current series here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39691580

I'd agree with most of that.

Master
    That's a fair summation but I can't help thinking a little biased being the BBC writing about the BBC

It's way more cringeworthy than they admit, not a bad read though

One thing that really bugs me is who are these people clamouring for more Rory Reid!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Those supercharged and turbocharged units are superb!

I do not doubt it, but they still sound crap

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    I do not doubt it, but they still sound crap
    Yes it's an odd tone.. can't have it all I guess

Craftsman
    Harris is the star for me, although the whole series was a vast improvement over the last one. I like Evans but he didn't work well on the show.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One thing that really bugs me is who are these people clamouring for more Rory Reid!!
    Being so uncomfortable in his own skin makes him interesting to watch. Chris Harris - similar reason

If anyone, I would actually think it's Chris who's more responsible for "saving" the show. Matt is developing nicely as a side kick but he's still a bit awkward. Rory is superfluous - what's wrong with just two presenters? Overall I enjoyed the season.

Master
    I agree i like Chris Harris

Having watched all of both series, here are a few ramblings on The Grand Tour (TGT) and Matt LeBlanc's Top Gear (BBC TG)...

* TGT feels, to all intents and purposes, the same as the 2002-2015 Top Gear, with a few tweeks to avoid copyright.

* TGT has more Clarkson-Hammond-May studio chat than 2002-2015 Top Gear, but there isn't really a celebrity section, so the studio time is similar.

* The two part Namibia special done in TGT was, for the most part, excellent - up there with the best specials done in 2002-2015 Top Gear.

* However, there was a bit of tat in TGT as well - for example, Clarkson an co as games console-esque soldiers in episode 2 or the Maseratis for £8k feature.

* There is a bit too much of the "scripted" stupidity and contrivances in parts of TGT, although not really anymore than there was in 2002-2015 Top Gear.

* Hammond was a bit more annoying, forced and shouty in early episodes of TGT, although he seemed to calm down as the series went on.

* There were plenty of watchable car reviews / features in TGT - standouts were May's feature on the original Ford GT40 vs Ferrari LeMans battle and Clarkson's Alfa Giulia QV review.

* However, BBC TG arguably surpassed TGT in this respect. LeBlanc and Harris' Mercedes-Aston feature, Harris' LaFerrari film and LeBlanc's review of the new Ford GT were as good as anything done on 2002-2015 Top Gear or TGT. I also thought the truck racing in the desert feature was great entertainment.

* The chemistry between the TGT hosts is much better than that between the BBC TG hosts (as you'd expect given how long they've known each other). This is probably the biggest difference between the two shows and makes TGT an easier watch.

* Clarkson and co can also deliver a line (especially in the studio) better than any of the BBC TG hosts appear able to.

* That said, LeBlanc and Harris seem to be developing a genuine report and provided all of the best bits about BBC TG.

* Rory Reid brings little to BBC TG. That's a shame as I thought he was one of the positives from the (dreadful) Series 1. He seems like a spare part and has little chemistry with either LeBlanc or Harris.

* The celebrity chat on BBC TG is awful. Anodyne, awkward, stilted and pure filler. I guess it saves having to pay for an extra car film per episode, but it needs scraping or, at least, halving in length.

* TGT need to get rid of the annoying American race driver (Stig replacement). He can drive, but he's not funny.

* Eddie Jordan on BBC TG... why?

* Chris Evans is not missed from BBC TG (at all).

Overall rankings (as TV light entertainment):
    * TGT: 8/10
    * BBC TG: 7/10

Drop the celebrity filler in BBC TG and find someone who brings more to the show than Rory Reid and BBC TG would be as good as, perhaps even better than, TGT.

I found it pretty watchable overall. Rory I could do without when he's on his own, but his chemistry seems solid with the other two. There were a few duff sections, but maybe not as many as there were on TGT. I managed 1 episode when Chris Evans was on, I've watched all of these, so that's already a stellar improvement.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

I agree with much of CamCG's well-considered post above.

Let's be honest, the BBC had to come up with a "new" Top Gear, and they've ended up with an actor who has done a reasonable job of fronting a programme for car enthusiasts although he's out of his comfort zone, a dull bloke who can drive sideways at will but looks uncomfortable with a camera pointed at him, and another bloke who doesn't appear to be able to do anything well. Still, there's potential there. Don't forget that the first series of "old, new Top Gear" in 2002 had Jason Dawe, and didn't really come together until James May was brought in at Dawe's expense.

The Grand Tour. I had high hopes that the creative force behind "proper" Top Gear team of Clarkson, Hammond, May, Andy Wilman and Richard Porter, freed of the shackles and restrictions imposed by the BBC would provide something spectacular. But they fell short, by some way. I'm sure that they've had plenty of feedback, and the second series will be much better.

So far, we haven't got the two high-budget, beautifully produced car shows that I, and many others, had hoped for. I'm very much looking forward to the second series of both - they both need to do better.

New Top Gear

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    I agree with much of CamCG's well-considered post above.

Let's be honest, the BBC had to come up with a "new" Top Gear, and they've ended up with an actor who has done a reasonable job of fronting a programme for car enthusiasts although he's out of his comfort zone, a dull bloke who can drive sideways at will but looks uncomfortable with a camera pointed at him, and another bloke who doesn't appear to be able to do anything well. Still, there's potential there. Don't forget that the first series of "old, new Top Gear" in 2002 had Jason Dawe, and didn't really come together until James May was brought in at Dawe's expense.
    Personally I wouldn't agree that Harris is dull, but he certainly is better in his own videos. Maybe he needs more creative control over his own content; I thoroughly advise finding his 'Chris Harris on cars' YouTube channel and skipping over all the supercars to find his ramblings on the 2cv. Genuinely engaging.

I watched an old TG on Friday and the biggest difference to me is that Clarkson has an amazing ability to have a shouty, ridiculous conversation with himself while being entertaining and avoiding resembling a drunk on a bus. He obviously put a great deal of time and effort into this persona and seemed to truly live old TG (OTG?) for at least the first decade, before it became a bit wooly. So maybe divorcing the creative force from the presentation is what's keeping it back now?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Mystery Scott; 30th April 2017 at 08:13.

I think Matt is doing a good job, he is likeable and believable. He could easily do the show on his own.

Harris's personality does not come across well. It seems he is trying to fill the 'funny-obnoxious' void left by Clarkson without the funny. Painful to watch.

Someone said there was a third presenter but I cannot remember one. Seriously though, Rory seems like a nice guy and it looks like his role is the Anti-Harris. Arrogant Harris drives all the cool fast cars and nice Rory gets to stroll around in a Twingo. But unfortunately his segments are quite forgettable while I want to forget Harris so both don't work in my opinion. Bring back Quentin and Tiff

Sent from my E6683 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    ...the celebrity interviews are just cringeworthy, no one seems to know how to go off script.
    It's truly uncomfortable to watch.

A bit like seeing a VIth Form school play written by one of the staff.

It's a lack of personality on all fronts. The whole show reeks of damp bedsits and crusty socks.

I'm being quite generous - if I had more time I'd construct a really vituperative post.