closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Top Gear

Apprentice
    The flow of the show needs to be a little more natural. Just feels too scripted at the moment which is it's only let down for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Better than last time, but as others have said it feels stilted. Chris Harris has made the biggest step forward from last year. I thought he came across as trying too hard in his parts of season 1, but thought he was good last night.

The chatty sofa section with James McEvoy was hard work, and the road trip felt like it was too long and trying to fill time, but there are some good signs if the presenters get more familiar and free flowing with each other.

I was pleased I had it recorded as there were dull moments to fast forward through, but I'll keep giving it a go

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Steve Sutcliffe would be great but wouldn't do it
    Why wouldn't Sutcliffe do it?

Journeyman
    There is a saying:- "You can't polish a turd"...

Every TV show has its natural lifespan, even before the Clarkson debacle Top Gear was a tired, repetitive shadow of its former self.

I understand that the BBC earns substantial revenue from world-wide sales of the programme - but like Bruce Forsyth, Top Gear should be retired with what little dignity there is left....

Craftsman
    Felt very contrived.
    Like the quarry race, then one drives into another... Why didn't the airbags go off? Turned off at that point.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I also enjoyed. Not a big fan of Rory though for some reason.
    Get rid of Rory, and have someone else to fit in and it might work - or just drop down to 2 and have a guest play the third person each time.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I enjoyed it more than I did The Grand Tour to be honest. Felt that the 3 amigos really missed a trick with GT. They had a chance to do something different and blew it. The best episode by far was the Xmas special with the buggies in Namibia. The races/challenges always made for great tv. More of this is what's needed.

In terms of last nights episode, I really enjoyed the Kazakhstan segment - felt like a mini Xmas special. Also enjoyed the Ferrari segment and thought the 3 presenters worked well together. Bodes well for the next 6 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    ...lose the stupid road trips and laboured attempts at comedy. More road tests, less stupidity. The star in the car thing is worth keeping
    This is why it's not straightforward. The road trips are, to me, the only bits worth watching and the star-in-a-car the most horrendously painful and uncomfortable bits of the whole piece. You and I are two equally valid viewers with *completely* opposed views :)

The biggest shame for me was scripting Harris into some sort of 'captain fast' almost James May character. His own work is wonderfully entertaining - anyone who hasn't seen his review of his 2CV should seek out his channel, Chris Harris on Cars, on YouTube.

I find Leblanc quite charming and I just think Rory seems a nice chap so hopefully they'll gel. Everyone seems to agree that the studio pieces were terrible, but I suppose that clarkson had decades of experience interviewing.

I actually enjoyed elements of the grand tour - just fast forwarded through the studio tedium.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I thought it was ok to be honest. A massive improvement on last season.
    Whats also handy is when one show finishes, the other starts, so we benefit from much more viewing.

Shocked that some people dont like the challenges, for me they are always the best parts.

The Clarkson, Hammond and May Top Gear had the chance to grow organically over many years, which is why it became so good, and also why it became tired. Top Gear never set out to be the world's most-watched factual tv programme, but that's what it became. In fact, the first series, with Clarkson, Hammond and Jason Dawe wasn't actually very good.

Any show with Chris Evans in it would always be "all about Chris Evans" and naturally failed with the incredibly loyal and critical Top Gear audience, so he had to go.

What we have inherited is a car programme with high production values, presented by three blokes who haven't worked together for very long, so there hasn't been time for any "chemistry" to develop, and the spontaneous banter has to be scripted.

The first episode of post-Evans Top Gear showed promise, though. There are times when it seems that the BBC are trying to mould them into Clarkson, Hammond and May, rather than let the presenters be themselves - although I have it on good authority from somebody who once worked with Chris Harris that he's a miserable sod in real life. Perhaps he just needs a bit more work. As does Rory Reid, who seems to be trying too hard.

The BBC has too much invested in Top Gear. It's too big to fail, so it has to succeed. The pressure is on to produce a programme which can be marketed world wide, so they have to get it right. Viewers in their millions would watch BBC2 at 8pm on a Sunday evening to watch three middle-aged blokes messing about and sometimes talking about cars. Now the original three middle-aged blokes have gone, Top Gear will be different.

Like it or not (and many people will watch Top Gear and The Grand Tour so that they can tell the internet how much they hate watching them) what we've ended up with is two expensively produced programmes which are largely about cars. What would you rather watch? Yet another "talent" show? More cookery, sewing or midwifery?

Be careful what you wish for.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thought it was a bit meh. Think Matt is ok but the other two were naff. That Chris is annoying and the arguments like previously said were cringe. The other bloke just boring.

I think the fact that the old boys were actually friends really helped. The new guys seem to have this fake 'banter' as if it's scripted - not a fan really.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbug View Post
    Every TV show has its natural lifespan, even before the Clarkson debacle Top Gear was a tired, repetitive shadow of its former self.
    I think, sadly, this is true.

I said a few times before Steakgate, that I felt Clarkson was just bored with it.

I did watch this week's (I can't stand Evans, so didn't see any of the last series, but the bile directed at him in particular made it clear I was probably right to have avoided it) - It was OK.

At times the wife and I had a chuckle - Sure lots of it was staged, but that's TG, it's NOT A motoring show, it's a comedy with a motoring theme. Moaning about technical details not being covered is like pointing out that Come Fly With Me didn't cover the issues of air traffic control!

As others have said some of it was hamfisted and uncomfortable, notably on Harris' part (arguing about the accident, repeating that it was the 'computer saving you there', his 'coaching' style) - I can see it was supposed to be funny, almost in a Clarkson bufoonery way, but it wasn't.

Unlike some I rather liked Rory Reid - He does look a bit uncomfortable, but he seems the most likeable of the 3 and take a look at early Clarkson or May!

I'll be watching again next week, which I certainly never said in the last series (and there or TGT episodes I've not seen too!).

M

Journeyman

I watched it and enjoyed it. Certainly more than The Grand Tour. Of course it was scripted. The old TG was scripted too. It's just that Clarkson, Hammond and May had years of practice at it. Will certainly watch next weeks. They have the Guilia Quadrofolio on, so that's gotta be worth a watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
    I think the fact that the old boys were actually friends really helped. The new guys seem to have this fake 'banter' as if it's scripted - not a fan really.
    Just about sums it up for me ^^

Quote Originally Posted by MattOz View Post
    I watched it and enjoyed it. Certainly more than The Grand Tour. Of course it was scripted. The old TG was scripted too. It's just that Clarkson, Hammond and May had years of practice at it.
    I believe they wrote most of it though, so it was their banter, even if it was rehearsed. The new cast are just reading a script, and naturally Joey, the only actor of the group was the only one who could sort of play the part.

The studio segments were a bit too Blue Peter for me.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    The studio segments were a bit too Blue Peter for me.
    It would have been immeasurably improved had a small elephant peed on the presenters.

Journeyman
    Jeezus! That was absoulte garbage! Lol, those "presenters" have the chemistry of the LCFC dressing room, how hard is it for the BBC to find people that actually like each other. All they have done is re- work older episodes....badly!. How anyone watches this is beyond me.

Craftsman
    I can't help but feel everyone is comparing the chemistry of the new Top Gear presenters to the chemistry of the last Top Gear presenters but in their final shows and series. Sure, the chemistry of the new presenters seems forced at the moment but does anyone remember the initial chemistry of Clarkson, May and Hammond? I don't think it was at the level it was when they stopped the show.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Interaction between Chris and Rory on Top Gear: Extra Gear seems much more natural. Also found Chris Harris shouting at celebs good entertainment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...es-2-episode-1

Blog Entries
    Recorded it and just finished watching it with my 10 year old son. I was trying to stay away from this thread until then too.

I really enjoyed it and whilst the chemistry between the presenters isn't quite at the level of Clarkson & Co, it's getting better.

Looking forward to seeing the next episode.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    In Chris Harris they actually have someone who can both really drive and communicate what the car is doing / feels like.
    I agree with this completely. I think CH is just great. I love how his passion always comes across.

I've just watched Extra Gear. What a load of rubbish. Last series EG was better than TG. I didn't think much of the new presenter. He looked scared.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    +1,........they either come up with a totally different formula or bin it. I'd prefer a more 'magazine' format that's interesting and informative; lose the stupid road trips and laboured attempts at comedy. More road tests, less stupidity. The star in the car thing is worth keeping, but otherwise I'd prefer to see something a bit more informative.

Can't help thinking the BBC are hellbent on flogging the dead horse to prove a point.

Paul
    I think you might have nailed it. They didn't like the fact of the 3 'boys' having so much popularity and influence. Then the big idiot JC played into their hands with the hotel incident (conspiracy theorists fodder maybe?) giving the BBC monster an excuse to prove that nobody is bigger than 'The Corporation'

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I believe they wrote most of it though, so it was their banter, even if it was rehearsed. The new cast are just reading a script, and naturally Joey, the only actor of the group was the only one who could sort of play the part.
    Richard Porter was TG's and now GT's script writer.
    "A man of little significance"

A B+ from me. Better for the lack of Evans and the other hangers on but still suffering from trying to emulate "old" TG. I think that both TG and TGT are suffering from the fact that after 15 years of this format pretty much everything entertaining has been done. The cars change and there are tweaks here and there but essentially they're just rehashing what has come before either with Clarkson et al's "chemistry" or without it. When was the last time either show did anything original (that was any good)? A wholesale revamp could be a roaring success or a dismal failure but, whilst large numbers still watch, neither the Beeb nor Amazon are going to have the balls to do anything drastic.

CH and RR have the potential to become friends and that could improve the natural banter between them but I suspect MLB doesn't hang out down the pub or stay in the UK when he doesn't have to be here, so that elusive "chemistry" may be difficult to create. I'm sure that someone like Steve Sutcliffe would spark with his old pal Harris but the general public would be rather bemused and disinterested with the inclusion of another out and out motoring journo. I'm happy to give them more time and, as someone said above, enjoy the fact that I have 2 programmes vaguely about cars rising from the ashes of "old" TG.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Like it or not (and many people will watch Top Gear and The Grand Tour so that they can tell the internet how much they hate watching them) what we've ended up with is two expensively produced programmes which are largely about cars.
    But they aren't really, are they? They are about lads' humour, with a few cars as backdrop.

I'm just watching Jay Lenos' Garage on Dave. Now that's a show about cars.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    But they aren't really, are they? They are about lads' humour, with a few cars as backdrop.

I'm just watching Jay Lenos' Garage on Dave. Now that's a show about cars.
    I'm surprised there are any car programmes, with the current environment of trying to make driving feel like an antisocial planet destroying children's asthma causing activity. Even my local town, which at rush hour has a queue of about 7 cars at the lights has a clean air group trying to make it a 20mph zone and ban diesels.Communists!

Wasn't Chris Evans basically the (expensive) sacrificial lamb? Like a caretaker manager for a football team he was always going to be hated and just had to ride it out until the "real" new show emerges.

Couldn't sit through more than two episodes of GT, will see how new TG goes. They need to bin half of the old segments and create something new. Episode 1 was very successful "background TV" in our household - was entertaining enough to watch when in the room and focused, but didn't feel like I missed out when I went to do other things - didn't feel any inclination to pause it.

Did I miss something or was there no Stig?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    You're right, Harris played the Stig part with the laps with the celeb.

Quote Originally Posted by qpop View Post
    Couldn't sit through more than two episodes of GT, will see how new TG goes. They need to bin half of the old segments and create something new. Episode 1 was very successful "background TV" in our household - was entertaining enough to watch when in the room and focused, but didn't feel like I missed out when I went to do other things - didn't feel any inclination to pause it.
    I think I've watched three episodes of GT, I was really hoping for something new and interesting, with that huge budget put to good use, but it wasn't so. Maybe the later episodes were better but it just seemed like they were trying to keep the format but give it a mid life refresh rather than a completely new look. The BBC did the same with TG and the first season failed dramatically. I get the feeling Evans blagged his way into the job (presenter - tick. Likes cars - tick.), Jordan was on a contract but had no F1 to commentate on anymore, Sabine was popular from old TG so why not and Reid and Monkey passed auditions. No idea where Joey came from. As it turns out, TG didn't need to mess with the track and celebrity laps (although having them hang around afterwards was a bit odd) and aside from what looks like forced bonhomie from the hosts, I think it worked well and the script sounded a lot better. Bearing in mind the size of the BBC and the number of very good script writers they employ there wasn't really any excuse for the first series. That my wife watched it all and enjoyed it too was what I found most remarkable.
    "A man of little significance"

Isn't the irony that neither the BBC shoehorning new presenters into "their" format, nor the old team rejigging the format on Amazon, or for that matter even the original team presenting TG on the BBC in the last few years before Steakgate, were actually any good? They're all trying to reproduce the "golden era", which was probably a couple of years into the revived series (and perhaps not even really that great truth-be-told), before it all got stale, but they're all flogging a dead horse. I agree that's there's probably points-of-principle/bloodimindedness on both sides.

I'm still lamenting the demise of Fifth Gear, which I quite liked in all of its incarnations (but especially Tiff/Viks/Quentin/Plato). Obviously that was a motoring show rather than Sunday night mass entertainment.

Master
    I think I've turned off for good now after being a big fan of Top Gear for many years. It's now off my recording list, maybe I'll catch the odd show but I'm certainly not worried about missing them any more. I managed two episodes of the new Grand Tour but the second was terrible and ended up watching in fast forward a lot of the time. The same with this new TG, watched a lot of it in fast forward on the recorder. I still enjoy watching the old Top Gears with Clarkson, May and Hammond, including the old specials. But it's now time to turn off to the new ones or they'll keep churning out this tired rubbish format.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    I think they are only using him for the hot laps and it was wet so they didn't take the fxxk out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by carlt69 View Post
    I think they are only using him for the hot laps and it was wet so they didn't take the fxxk out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It seems odd to have restricted him to just hot laps. I thought he was so intrinsically linked to the TG brand (and therefore merchandise) that the Beeb would be making sure he remained centre stage. He's also pretty much the only bit of TG (Clarkson era and post-Clarkson) that I don't recall anyone moaning about!

Very true, maybe there's some more stig pieces to come!?

I'll keep on watching as there's nothing else to watch on a Sunday evening :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I think I've watched three episodes of GT, I was really hoping for something new and interesting, with that huge budget put to good use, but it wasn't so. Maybe the later episodes were better but it just seemed like they were trying to keep the format but give it a mid life refresh rather than a completely new look. The BBC did the same with TG and the first season failed dramatically. I get the feeling Evans blagged his way into the job (presenter - tick. Likes cars - tick.), Jordan was on a contract but had no F1 to commentate on anymore, Sabine was popular from old TG so why not and Reid and Monkey passed auditions. No idea where Joey came from. As it turns out, TG didn't need to mess with the track and celebrity laps (although having them hang around afterwards was a bit odd) and aside from what looks like forced bonhomie from the hosts, I think it worked well and the script sounded a lot better. Bearing in mind the size of the BBC and the number of very good script writers they employ there wasn't really any excuse for the first series. That my wife watched it all and enjoyed it too was what I found most remarkable.
    I definitely found this series much more watchable than the last. The potential for good chemistry is there - they are all real car fanatics (think that's MLB's hook - he has a fantastic collection of his own). As others say in this thread, perhaps it's just the format is something that has had its day.

Craftsman
    I found it a lot more watchable than the last series, once they gel a bit more the dialogue should flow a bit better. For lovers of this type of show we have 2 versions to watch now, the competition should force them to improve continually.

Master
    Well I enjoyed it on the whole, but for me the big issue is that there is too much acting. The banter just doesn't seem natural, it's like Matt has just been lifted off the set of Friends and plonked in the studio and told to keep going. I'm sure it'll improve though. Top Gear US was pretty damn awful when it started, but I have to admit that I do enjoy it now as the presenters have found their identities and seem to have genuine bonds between them. It took a number of seasons though. (plus they realized that top gear really isn't a car show, but an entertainment show built around cars, so ditched all the boring power laps and star interviews etc).

Master
    I'll watch it again, because there are no other car shows on the telly. But it's not as good as GT, although with GT they really are flogging the "dead celebrity" horse to death a bit. They could lose that to no ill effect.

Finally got round to it

Much better then I was expecting

Master
    Yep, New TG was good last week, I enjoyed it. But then I enjoyed GT as well (apart from the second episode which was dire!).

Any 'car show' is good in my book.

There was something odd about the latter episodes of GT, they were using footage from the TG days I think, probably filmed by the old crew before they all departed for Amazon.

The reason I think that is the number of orphan pieces that didn't fit with anything GT was trying to do, and the piece in the last episode where Clarkson and May were heading to Devon in a GTI and an i3. May was shown using an Ecotricity charge point with an RFID card at £0 cost, when they'd switched to an app and charging £6 before GT was filmed. Yes, I'm a nerd!

Maybe the GT took some footage with them as part of the severance package, or even purchased it from the BBC? I suppose new TG couldn't use it anyway.

Anyway, roll on more car shows, whatever the format.

Were those cars using studded tyres before Matt stuck the chains on?

No old footage was used.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Yep, New TG was good last week, I enjoyed it. But then I enjoyed GT as well (apart from the second episode which was dire!).

Any 'car show' is good in my book.

There was something odd about the latter episodes of GT, they were using footage from the TG days I think, probably filmed by the old crew before they all departed for Amazon.

The reason I think that is the number of orphan pieces that didn't fit with anything GT was trying to do, and the piece in the last episode where Clarkson and May were heading to Devon in a GTI and an i3. May was shown using an Ecotricity charge point with an RFID card at £0 cost, when they'd switched to an app and charging £6 before GT was filmed. Yes, I'm a nerd!

Maybe the GT took some footage with them as part of the severance package, or even purchased it from the BBC? I suppose new TG couldn't use it anyway.

Anyway, roll on more car shows, whatever the format.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    I'm surprised there are any car programmes, with the current environment of trying to make driving feel like an antisocial planet destroying children's asthma causing activity. Even my local town, which at rush hour has a queue of about 7 cars at the lights has a clean air group trying to make it a 20mph zone and ban diesels.Communists!
    Yeah because the Soviet Union was well known for it's strict environmental controls.

Blog Entries
    Watched TG 'live' today with my son and we both really enjoyed it.

P.S. the Steve Backshall(sp?) programme immediately afterwards was quite good too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    No old footage was used.
    How do you explain the Ecotricity charger thing then?

What did they do with all the top gear footage filmed before 'steak gate'?

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Watched TG 'live' today with my son and we both really enjoyed it.

P.S. the Steve Backshall(sp?) programme immediately afterwards was quite good too.
    Agreed, also enjoyed both.

Same here
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.