closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Pianos - some advice pls.....

Pianos - some advice pls.....

My 8 yr old daughter has just started piano lessons & we are expected to have a piano so she can practice.

I'm quite happy to do this but have no idea what is good and what is bad!

We want an upright piano & dont really want to spend much more than £500 on a second hand model just in case it doesnt work out......

I've looked on ebay BUT it looks a complete minefield with pricing all over the place with brands I have never heard of!

If anybody could give me any pointers it would be appreciated.

For example, is this any good?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3224344325...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I think there is a deal to be done here & I guess I need to factor in collection costs by a courier and set-up/tuning costs?

Cheers!

Paul

Whereabouts are you?

Please don't buy blind - ideally look for a local (or local ish) seller of used pianos and talk to them, visit them, have a play on a few. There are a few sellers on eBay whose business is refurbishing and selling uprights - they will take care of delivery, stringing, tuning and so on.

Talk to a person if at all possible. Or buy digital.

Dont dismiss the modern(ish) smaller framed pianos. My brother has one of these and it plays really well:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuchs-Mohr...gAAOSwCU1YtdyO
    Last edited by kungfugerbil; 1st March 2017 at 14:24.

Master
    Personally I wouldn't use Ebay but look on Gumtree, as it's more locally focused and might be a lot cheaper. Obviously you want a decent upright and from memory, these can be had quite cheaply. Local rag, Google or local music shops, if there are any left. I'm a drummer and have bought and sold loads of gear on Gumtree, and as long as you do your homework, you'll be fine.

Having said that, the Ebay ad looks fine. Check the Feedback and work out how you would get it delivered. There are companies who do just that and lastly, when and if it has been tuned of late, as you might have to factor that in as well.
    Last edited by stix; 1st March 2017 at 14:28.

My Mum was a piano teacher, so I've seen a few come and go!

A close friend of mine imports pianos and in fact supplies many of the mainland dealers. He does a lease scheme now whereby people can rent, but then decide to purchase later. The rental payments come off the purchase price. Perhaps someone close to you does the same?

Regarding going digital, the main concern is the weighting and feel of the keys. Bear in mind, if your daughter starts to do exams, she'll be sitting those on a proper piano. My Mum hated them for the artificial feel, but the likes of a yamaha clavinova is a close call! Really compact in your house, holds its value....oh...and has a headphone socket!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    ...the likes of a yamaha clavinova is a close call! Really compact in your house, holds its value....oh...and has a headphone socket!
    They really are much closer these days, it's incredible. Teachers will always say 'buy acoustic' but that is generally based on their experience of digital from 20yrs ago or people who buy their kids plastic keyboards.

In this house I have a lovely little Kawai - not unreasonable money and doesn't mind being moved, temp fluctuations or toddlers. The headphone jack is a nice benefit too, sometimes I only really feel like playing when everyone is in bed!

Master
    My folks only ever bought Broadwood pianos. Always sounded good to me and we had great fun taking the proverbial from the piano tuner when he came owing to his lack of melody. Bong, Bong, Bong, Bong...

Master
    My eldest started on a keyboard when he was 6 as it was
    a) lighter and easier to store
    b) not too expensive in case he didn't take to it and I didn't want to be stuck with a piano tht was not being used.

He has done grade 1 and is now ready for grade 2 and we will now need to get him a piano for further grades due to the larger range and the pedals. Going the electric route as the weights are not too bad apparently and they are easer to maintain no tuning etc.. He does go and have go on a "proper" piano before the exams just to get used to the feel but he says there is not much difference.

Master
    Another recommendation for Kawai and the digital route. We bought one for our daughter a few years back and it doesn't take up too much space, has a range of different tones it can reproduce and needs no tuning. She did lessons for a while and then gave up and now is teaching herself new songs etc.

The real beauty has been that she can switch it off and when she comes to use it again it just needs switching on and there is no risk of it being out of tune.

I found a guy that via eBay that sold them - he got a lot of the returns, open box etc. and they came with a full warranty.

I'm no expert but my wife plays a lot, think she has done upto grade 7 and she uses a Yamaha Clavinola, says the key/pedal feel is very good.
    Other pluses are no tuning required, only maintenance we have had in about 9 years was a squeaky pedal, as someone else mentioned you can also plug in headphones
    which is useful for both her and others in the house and also apparently you can record 1 hand and then practice playing the other hand with the recording, she says its very useful when starting
    new pieces.

Think it can do lots of other clever stuff as well which we dont use plus those of us who dont play can have a laugh messing around with
    all the different instrument sounds and sound effects.

I think ebay is ok for pianos. You often get really good pianos sold by people desperate for space, who can't deliver the piano to you, and so sell them off for close to nothing. A few years ago I purchased one on ebay for £80. I went to pick it up with some guy with a van (cost me £90, I think). Added some tuning for £70 or so. It was perfect! A shop later valued it at £1200.

Just find out more information about the history of the piano from the seller. Get a feel for how it must have been handled etc. Check out the cosmetic condition in and out. Look for cracks in the wood and things like that. Even if you don't know much about pianos, you can get a feel for what you are buying.

I would advise against buying from people who recondition pianos. In my experience you often pay extra for cosmetic improvements but don't know what was done inside. A few years ago I was in the market for an old Steinway; I came across some horrible pianos in shops, that looked pretty on the outside but were awful to play. I ended up buying one on eBay from a grandma who had it in her living room since the 1950s. It was cheap, as she wanted it gone quickly to make room for some electronic piano for the grandkids. Upon inspection it turned out to be in great shape. I had Steinway service it and tune it. It turned out a beauty! And relatively cheap too. I still have it and love it.

So I think eBay is great, but as with everything you buy there, exercise some care and common sense.

And my advice is also to keep away from anything electronic (or have it only as a spare for headphone playing or as a bedroom instrument). Yes they are great these days... But no, nothing beats a real piano and how it makes you feel when you strike a note!
    Last edited by o u t a t i m e; 1st March 2017 at 21:02.

I teach the piano a bit and get asked these questions quite a lot. Happy to help via pm if there is anything specific that you see. We can also supply new digital pianos at a discount through my company so happy to help there. We also have access to ex-demo stock from Roland (all comes with 1 year warranty) so some good deals there.

Thank you all so much for your help - really much appreciated but now confused more with the digital option - which is really appealing not least for the headphone option.....

Will report back!!

Thanks again.

Paul

I can see a situation where the silent practise with headphones might lead to even more progress than on a real piano.

Master
    The electric keyboard idea posted above is a good option. You can get full size versions with weighted keys and pedals so it is very similar to playing a piano. They are cheaper and easier to sell than a piano. Also, if you buy second hand you do not have to worry about whether it keeps its tune etc.

Personally I'd still go for a real piano, but I think they look great as furniture even if not played. But on a budget to learn then the electric is a good option.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I've STILL got this in my garage... probably had no more than 2 hours use in total. As new, complete, boxed.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?t=376187

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I grew up in a musical household - numerous home organs, and a grand piano. I'm not an expert, but a very close friend of mine who is a very successful composer swears by Yamaha Clavinovas.

Having written music and songs with him in the past, I can say they are extremely impressive bits of kit. Maybe consider starting with a second hand one of these?
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My daughter has a Yamaha Digital Piano. I think it's an Arius. She's managed to get her Grade 7 using it. She was 11 at the time. She's also accompanied her school choir on the Piano in Bath Abbey using their Steinway. She had no problem at all switching from her Digital Piano to the Steinway.

Edit: Her grandmother (my mother-in-law) was an examiner at the ABRSM for many years & until recently. She still teaches Piano. I think she recommended that Piano at that price point. If I had the space I'd have a Yamaha Grand Piano like hers though
    Last edited by trident-7; 3rd March 2017 at 20:42.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    I grew up in a musical household - numerous home organs, and a grand piano.
    Apropos nothing much other than it always makes me smile in a juvenile way, I think it was Spike Milligan who said he liked roses on his piano, but preferred tulips on his organ...
    Last edited by r1ch; 3rd March 2017 at 21:48. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by r1ch View Post
    Apropos nothing much other than it always makes me smile in a juvenile way, I think it was Spike Milligan who said he liked roses on his piano, but preferred tulips on his organ...
    Very good.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Thanks all for your help & guidance, particularly jpjsavage who went out of his way to assist - we are now the proud owners of a Yamaha Clavinova complete with headphone socket!

Cheers!

Paul

Excellent choice :)

Good choice. I had both of my kids on digital Piano's. I remember coming home from work one Friday and my wife telling me the kids were starting Piano lessons on Monday.... at home. I had two days to procure a Piano. This was a couple of months after moving to Tokyo! I managed to get one of Craigslist in the end and it turned out to be a cracker. A Roland FP-7 digital piano with weighted feedback keys and pedals. Just got lucky as I could've ended up with anything. We also had a Yamaha digital piano for a while which was almost as good but back on the Roland now. The kids love it, and I love it cos I can turn it down. I've even been known to plug the computer into it and try to play along on Garageband.

Versatile things digital keyboards and dead easy to sell on when your done.

Quote Originally Posted by paul360m View Post
    Thanks all for your help & guidance, particularly jpjsavage who went out of his way to assist - we are now the proud owners of a Yamaha Clavinova complete with headphone socket!

Cheers!

Paul
    Glad it all worked out Paul and I hope your daughter makes good progress with her piano playing!

Brilliant choice, the Mrs plays one of those at the weekends and says it feels almost like the real thing. Alas at home she has a cheaper Roland keyboard but again with the weight keys she says it more than enough for practicing on.