closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tempted to convert Seiko 5 to Fifty Five Fathoms

Tempted to convert Seiko 5 to Fifty Five Fathoms

Hi all,

I know I have to contact yobokies. Have any of you guys had any experience converting your own?

Currently it looks like this

And i would like it to look like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232227949419

Any advice and guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Doing the bezel and dial is relatively easy on your own, replacing the hands is the point at which most amateur tinkerers seem to run out of talent, I know that's been the final hurdle for me on several occasions and the watch has gone to a local watchmaker for that.

Master
    A set of cheap hand lifters and a hand setting tool can be had for £20- buy a cheap watch for eBay and practice removing and refitting- it's not so hard if your careful

Master
    Can I ask, what is a 55 fathoms?Is it a discontinued watch from Seiko?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I'm literally un-boxing one of these as I read this!

I bought it to mod and I've been in touch with Harold about my preferred dial and hand set.

First impressions are that it's way better built and better quality than I expected; sets nice and tightly, crown action is good, bezel is solid and lines up perfectly.

So I think I'll wear it for a couple of weeks and see if I still want to mod it and if I do I'll be sending it to my trusty watchman so I know it's done correctly, put back together properly and there's no debris under the crystal

It's an homage to a watch or style of watch made by Blancpain. The one in the eBay link has a more modern style bezel, though some go for a more vintage look.

The name comes from adding 5 (as in Seiko 5) to the 50 of Blancpain's 50 Fathoms, surely one of the best-looking watches ever designed.

Here's mine:

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Doing the bezel and dial is relatively easy on your own, replacing the hands is the point at which most amateur tinkerers seem to run out of talent, I know that's been the final hurdle for me on several occasions and the watch has gone to a local watchmaker for that.
    Dumb question but how would you replace the dial without replacing the hands?

Love mine. I started with a Black dial and pvd case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I'm literally un-boxing one of these as I read this!

I bought it to mod and I've been in touch with Harold about my preferred dial and hand set.

First impressions are that it's way better built and better quality than I expected; sets nice and tightly, crown action is good, bezel is solid and lines up perfectly.

So I think I'll wear it for a couple of weeks and see if I still want to mod it and if I do I'll be sending it to my trusty watchman so I know it's done correctly, put back together properly and there's no debris under the crystal
    I was surprised too. Although the bracelet feels a bit cheap. I put it on a nato and it feels like a much more expensive watch. I went for the J version. I'm actually wondering whether i should buy a K to mod and keep this one intact.

Quote Originally Posted by professorfail View Post
    I was surprised too. Although the bracelet feels a bit cheap. I put it on a nato and it feels like a much more expensive watch.
    You're obviously free to chose your own strap but the classic choice for a FFF has to be the Brady strap...

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    You're obviously free to chose your own strap but the classic choice for a FFF has to be the Brady strap...

Definitely for the mod.

The dial goes on the movement first. Think pants and trousers.

I did this a couple of times.

I needed help the first time, refitting the hands is a fiddle!

Details in this thread : http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...y-Five-Fathoms

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 1st March 2017 at 11:43.

The dial goes on the movement first. Think pants and trousers.
    I'm obviously easily confused this morning...

Trousers off - pants off - pants on - trousers on
    Hands off - dial off - dial on - hands on

Isn't changing the dial without removing the hands like changing your pants with your trousers on?

Master

Isn't changing the dial without removing the hands like changing your pants with your trousers on?
    Correct, it's the hands fitting that is the tricky parts.

Master
    I'm sure Dynamo could do it😏 Inside a glass bottle

Yep, hands come off first, I didn't think I'd need to say that!

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

M.
    Awesome. Exactly what i want.

M.
    How did you do the gmt? (Sorry if stupid question... as i seem to constantly say... newbie here).

I'm very tempted to go down the FFF route but I don't think it makes financial sense (yes I know this hobby doesn't!).

If I get the dial, hands and bezel plus all the postage and watchmaker costs it'll be at least another £150 which brings the total cost to £250 which is more than the watch will be worth.

How did you do the gmt? (Sorry if stupid question... as i seem to constantly say... newbie here).
    The blue one was based off of a World Timer version of the Seiko 5 - I wanted the new movement (and black date window) for my black one, so just bought the cheapest 5 with the new movement (7S26?) I could find!

I ended up modding it, having found a blue dial at a good price and the hands came from the Phillipines for a few quid which is why it's a bit of an odd mix (sadly no-one does the 'crystal' bezel in blue, either).

I'm very tempted to go down the FFF route but I don't think it makes financial sense (yes I know this hobby doesn't!).

If I get the dial, hands and bezel plus all the postage and watchmaker costs it'll be at least another £150 which brings the total cost to £250 which is more than the watch will be worth.
    Define 'worth'

If you can buy a 'new' Fifty Fathoms mod for less than £250 do that (a quick scan on eBay suggests you'll be doing pretty well for one with dial, hands, bezel and Brady Strap). Otherwise, it's a fair price.

If you compare it to the price of a standard Seiko 5, sure, it's dear, but you can argue the same about various watches with different ETA movements!

M
    Last edited by snowman; 1st March 2017 at 13:06.

So Dagaz or yobokies? Penny for your thoughts?

Oh and also is it worth me buying a Malaysian 5 to butcher and leaving my Japanese one intact?

I've bought from Dagaz and Yobokies. Harold (the latter) is helpful but I'm not convinced there's any difference in the parts.

Likewise with Japanese vs other location (I thought it was Korea. Maybe they have moved production?)

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 1st March 2017 at 14:01.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Dagaz is easier to buy from, Yobokies has the oddest business model on the internet.

As someone already said, I wouldn't be convinced there's too much difference between the parts.

I've bought from Dagaz and Yobokies. Harold (the latter is helpful) but I'm not convinced there's any difference in the parts.

Likewise with Japanese vs other location (I thought it was Korea. Maybe they have moved production?)

M

Could you PM me Harold's email address by any chance? Obviously have seen his photobucket stuff but i'd like his advice.

Yeah i thought the K stood for Korea but apparently they're Malaysian.

So what is the going rate for these. The Russian e-bay one is £350, but U.K. Sellers are selling for a little over £200, which doesn't sound a lot to me.

Also, as these are homage to Blancpain - why don't the anti-homage crowd jump all over these like they do whenever anyone dares to mention Steinhart. Are they somehow acceptable ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    So what is the going rate for these. The Russian e-bay one is £350, but U.K. Sellers are selling for a little over £200, which doesn't sound a lot to me.

Also, as these are homage to Blancpain - why don't the anti-homage crowd jump all over these like they do whenever anyone dares to mention Steinhart. Are they somehow acceptable ?
    No more or less acceptable than Steinhart IMO, but it's a cottage industry - You buy the parts and modify your own watch, rather than a manufacturer making a homage.

Obviously some on eBay are already made up - Either by a watchmaker or a previous owner, but you can't buy a Fifty Fathoms (in modded form) from Seiko - The basic watch is quite different to the Fifty Fathoms really.

Look to see what parts are swapped on eBay watches - Lots JUST have the dial changed - It's a £50 part, so £200-250 (even on a new watch) is about right.

If you've got hands, bezel and a Brady Strap, it's more like £120-£150 in parts and postage.

M.

I'm put off by the Dagaz branding whereas Harold has more sterile dials that appeal to me more. I agree his way of doing business is weird but wnever I've bought from him he's been spot on.

Could you PM me Harold's email address by any chance? Obviously have seen his photobucket stuff but i'd like his advice.

Yeah i thought the K stood for Korea but apparently they're Malaysian.
    Sorry - I don't have it (I did this a few years ago), but I'm sure someone will have his current contacts.

M

WWWHHHHHHYYYYYY????????

I think these are great. Also the satisfaction of doing some of the work yourself although I would never have the patience or the dexterity to do it!

Can someone PM me Harold's email address if they have it? Cheers

He's good to deal with, emails are "unconversational", but accurate and attended to promptly.

yobokies@yahoo.com.hk

Quote Originally Posted by r1ch View Post
    He's good to deal with, emails are "unconversational", but accurate and attended to promptly.

yobokies@yahoo.com.hk
    Thank you sir!

Master
    Harold for me, very quick to reply and shipping from the Far East is super fast
    If I was an auto man - I'd defo mod one of there myself and wear it

I've bought from Dagaz and Yobokies. Harold (the latter) is helpful but I'm not convinced there's any difference in the parts.

M

When i was buying it (for a beater) i was looking at J vs K watched a few videos about the differences and the J was more expensive but i'm thinking if it basically has to be stripped right down and the main issues with the K are dial position and build quality but the same movement it might be a better idea to get a K for the mod... but i could be wrong

When i was buying it (for a beater) i was looking at J vs K watched a few videos about the differences and the J was more expensive but i'm thinking if it basically has to be stripped right down and the main issues with the K are dial position and build quality but the same movement it might be a better idea to get a K for the mod... but i could be wrong

Appalling grammar. Apologies gents.

they pop up on ebay already modded for about £200, not sure what it would cost to mod but cant be much less than that surley

WWWHHHHHHYYYYYY????????
    Just interested that this is a healthy debate about a mobbed homage and there are no negative comments. Go on any Steinhart thread and there are usually half a dozen people displaying their disgust and dislike of the product - usually calling owners Rolex wannabes.

I like this watch, might even ping a WTB.

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    they pop up on ebay already modded for about £200, not sure what it would cost to mod but cant be much less than that surley
    I've secured prices today for the dial and hands delivered from Harold, the work to be done and RMSD out and return to the watchman and, including the purchase price of the watch, the total cost will be £205.

I've secured prices today for the dial and hands delivered from Harold, the work to be done and RMSD out and return to the watchman and, including the purchase price of the watch, the total cost will be £205.
    That's excellent, can I have first dibs when you flip it

That's excellent, can I have first dibs when you flip it
    Of course, I've already seen your WTB!

The issue I'll have is, do I want to put £205 into this watch or into something else like an SRP Turtle or a Smiths Everest? If I decide the latter then I won't go through the bother of modding it.

Of course, I've already seen your WTB!

The issue I'll have is, do I want to put £205 into this watch or into something else like an SRP Turtle or a Smiths Everest? If I decide the latter then I won't go through the bother of modding it.
    Thanks. I am lazy and would rather buy a mobbed one rather than going down the road you are, which I am sure is more fun and ultimately more satisfying.

Seen this on e-bay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Timefactor...sAAOSwSlBYswUY

Thanks. I am lazy and would rather buy a mobbed one rather than going down the road you are, which I am sure is more fun and ultimately more satisfying.

Seen this on e-bay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Timefactor...sAAOSwSlBYswUY
    Not satisfying at all really as I'll just pay Harold and then send the bits to Brendan and get a converted watch back lol.

Thanks for the link but at £183 and likely to get higher I think I'd rather buy a new one or get one from a trusted TZer for around the £160 mark.

Cheers.

Apprentice
    My converted Seiko 5 from last year - apologies for the poor photo.
    It sported a Brady strap originally but I found a simple black leather strap from the strap shop suited me best.

Fwiw - Harold was more than helpful and I would highly recommend yobokies. Good luck with your conversion whatever path you choose.

Last edited by cdbwhoop; 1st March 2017 at 19:52.

Seiko's are great to mod. this was previously a standard black Turtle but the new domed sapphire and PO style bezel have changed it for the better imo.

I contemplated doing this to my Seiko 5 before it arrived. Even then it was a bit difficult to get the parts; are they all available?

As it turned out, I liked it in standard form and became unsure about modding the watch simply to create a homage. I did get a Brady strap though... which I don't really rate. It's quite cardboardy feeling and the pattern isn't very sailcloth-like in the flesh; too smooth. I have mine back on the OEM Seiko bracelet now. I'm glad I didn't mod it. But the cost isn't enormous and it could be quite fun...
    Last edited by Jobbo; 2nd March 2017 at 15:33.