closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Psion 5 fans, rejoice!

Craftsman

Psion 5 fans, rejoice!

For those of us old enough to remember the Psion series 5, there is an updated version that's just been announced at Mobile World Congress - designed by the same guy who designed Psion 5, running Android and Linux. More details here http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/r...-linux-delight

Master
    Blog Entries
    You've just reminded me about my Psion Revo Plus that needs a bump in SC. thank you.

I wish someone would just sell a bluetooth version of the Psion 5's keyboard.

I had a number of series 3s in the nineties and early 2000s and thought they were fantastic, I can't really see a place for them in these days of smartphones/tablets.

Shame really as I'd really like another. ☹️

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I had a number of series 3s in the nineties and early 2000s and thought they were fantastic, I can't really see a place for them in these days of smartphones/tablets.

Shame really as I'd really like another. ☹️
    Judging by the info, it's a small tablet dual booting android and linux, with modern tech (10 core CPU, 64GB memory, 4G connectivity). I wonder if they will capture the feel of the iconic keyboard of the 5 series though...

I may well take a punt - $349 early bird offer

Master
    Still got my Psion 3a, still works:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=psion

Dug it out the other day and all good still!

Was a daily user of my Psion 3a until the hinges started to go (a known design flaw). Gradually replaced most of its functions with my (then) shiny new iPhone 3GS. No real use for such a device now as Google takes care of everything via my Nexus phone. It is an idea that time has overtaken, especially with something like an iPad mini/Surface Pro with keyboard being the true modern replacement. Oh and vastly cheaper; ISTR that my Psion 3a cost £399 over 25 years ago!

Plenty still for sale on eBay last time I looked for anyone wanting to don the rose tinted specs.
    Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 28th February 2017 at 22:13. Reason: typo

I was a huge fan of Psion, had both a 3c and 5mx, but their goose was cooked as soon as the PalmPilot came along.

I remain amazed Psion didn't licence the 5mx keyboard tech, however. That remains unbettered to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    I was a huge fan of Psion, had both a 3c and 5mx, but their goose was cooked as soon as the PalmPilot came along.

I remain amazed Psion didn't licence the 5mx keyboard tech, however. That remains unbettered to this day.
    I could never get on with the Palm type pdas, I've still got one but hardly ever used it. I bought it when my last 3c packed up.

Master
    I still have my old 5MX somewhere, and the identical Ericsson-branded one as well. Screen trouble both, after years of service. I always thiught that the concept of that slide-out tactile keyboard was fantastic. I banged out 1000-word texts for my clients on that thing and then wowed them (this was the 1990s) by sending the texts direct via infrared to a HP Laserjet in their office.
    Anyone who had a Psion, or for that matter one of the earlier Scandinavian clamshell phone/computer cobos knows that Apple et al did not invent much, they just packaged it all nicer for the masses. Touch screen, check; software with icon-based OS, check; built-in office suite, check; email and web browser software, check; an ecosystem with hundreds of free or very cheap apps and games, check; expandable flash memory, check; built-in voice recorder, check; connectivity (of the era with IR and serial), check; ability to work with a GPS receiver and navigate, check (the route planner for Psion was developed by the company that later became TomTom)... and it all fit a coat pocket and worked on two AA batteries that lasted a week with moderate use. I loved that thing. I still feel handicapped by the absence of a decent keyboard on a smartphone or tablet. Carrying a separate BT keyboard along is not the same, the clamshell minicomputer (note that the screen is nor larger than that of many smartphones, it is not the size of a 7- or 8-inch tablet plus separate keyboard).
    Must be great for traveling light. No need to bring a laptop on short trips.
    I've bookmarked them, let's see what the near future will bring.

Master
    I was never really enamoured with the keyboard on my Psion, but it did play a part in my early computer understanding

Strange this topic came up. I was looking at this computer last week: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/g...p--2#/comments
    I had thought about backing it, but the Psion one is UK based and may be easier to solve problems etc. What do you tech guys think? The Gpd has 8gb Ram so can multitask better. But not sure which to back.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    It really was exceptional. I was blown away the first time I used one - I had achieved a fairly decent WPM rate on my 3a but the 5 was the future...

Then everyone decided stabbing at a resistive screen with little plastic pens was a better input method. Grr.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    It really was exceptional. I was blown away the first time I used one - I had achieved a fairly decent WPM rate on my 3a but the 5 was the future...

Then everyone decided stabbing at a resistive screen with little plastic pens was a better input method. Grr.
    And now the big thing is Bluetooth keyboards for your tablets!

Strange old world!

Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    It really was exceptional. I was blown away the first time I used one - I had achieved a fairly decent WPM rate on my 3a but the 5 was the future. Then everyone decided stabbing at a resistive screen with little plastic pens was a better input method. Grr.
    I loved that keyboard, but I loved Graffiti on Palm even more. I got really adept at it. Even now I sometimes find myself reverting to Graffiti when scribbling down notes on something.

Apple's implementation of something similar on the Apple Watch is impressive, but not the same.

So what do you all think to their new offering and the other one like it I linked to earlier? Either worth getting in on?

Master
    Those keys look incredible.

Rob.

I had a number of different generations of Psion. Amazing at the time, but so primitive now - the rate of tech progress has been astounding really.

I then bought a couple of iPaqs, remember them?
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    I had a number of different generations of Psion. Amazing at the time, but so primitive now - the rate of tech progress has been astounding really.

I then bought a couple of iPaqs, remember them?
    Yes I still have my compaq/ipaq. The company was taken over by HP I recall. My compaq was the replacement for the Psion!

Given the size of some mobile phones now, this looks like a great idea, shame that there isn't an external screen for the phone functions.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Disappointing that the Sony Xperia X1 was never released as an android device.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I love this idea (as a 5 user) and the recent review looks promising - i just really hope it isn't going to cost £500. Is it going to be available in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Given the size of some mobile phones now, this looks like a great idea, shame that there isn't an external screen for the phone functions.
    it has a whole bunch of multicoloured LED lights on the outside that you can customise so you know when you get a whatsapp, FB message, call from the wife etc...

the keyboard is the same as the psion one (almost) and you you are unsure about backing direct from indiegogo - sign up at clove.co.uk who will be retailingthem