closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying a used Rolex

Master

Buying a used Rolex

Hi everyone. Looking for some help here. I'm looking for a GMT Master, Pepsi, 16710. I've been searching various of the dealers, like watchfinder, Chrono24, chronext etc, also ebay, but this is the first time I've been looking to spend this amount of money on a secondhand watch and I want to make sure it goes well.

One thing that strikes me is that 90% of the watches advertised are condition 9/10. Since they are minimum 10 years old, does that mean they have been polished or refurbished? If they have, is that a problem? Would it be better to buy a condition 2 and have it serviced?

Dealers abroad. I'm not sure that they are cheaper, though there is a dealer in Netherlands with a stick dial for less than £7k. Is it worth buying error dials? And are these "fakeable"

Also, I now realise the bezel inserts are changeable. Is there a way to tell if the watch was originally a Pepsi bezel? Again, does it matter? Could I buy a black bezel, and have it changed, and if so would Rolex do this?

Most of the prices are £6-£7k from the dealers, but some, even without error dials or other distinguishing features are much more. Are these dealers jut trying it on?

And last, I'm not in a rush. Would I be better just going to a trusted dealer, and ask them to look out for one for me? Recommendations welcome for this.

Lastly, what comprises a full set for this watch?

Lots of questions, I know, but thanks for your help,

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Can't help with your questions but ironically I was looking at this just now:

http://www.miltonaires.com/product/5622

It's sale agreed unfortunately, but if ever you were looking for a trusted dealer, Haywood would be your man.

Blog Entries
    Crikey there are some questions there'......

Your quoted seems a lot of money and the 16710 has appreciated but not to that level surely. I purchased my T<25 U Series 20 months ago for £3,600 as a full set with all three inserts and they are easily swapped over so don't be too worried about right insert for the correct watch.

This model, like all Sports Rolex are becoming increasingly hard to find as folk just hang on to them but just keep looking and don't short change yourself.

A big part of the experience is hunting and finding the right one.

Pitch

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Stuart at horologyhub has one. Hands changed at service in the 90s but not over polished.
    I trust him 100% and suspect that as stated he's picky-ing the condition if the photos are anything to go by. Not a greedy price either.
    https://horologyhub.com/shop/rolex/r...-master-pepsi/

Re error dials and can they be faked.... basically assume that everything can be faked with varying degrees of skill. Reputation prev feedback etc therefore come into it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/gmt...-id5738673.htm

what about this one?

and there's a couple from a company called Time4people at not silly prices. I made a "buying enquiry" through Chrono24 but got no reply, and the company has a mobile number only. Anyone heard of them?

Master
    Any more recommendations for trusted dealers?

Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    Any more recommendations for trusted dealers?
    Oakleigh Watches

Master
    Mike Wood (naturally) has a 1967 one for sale at £8750

http://www.theoldwatchshop.com/rolex.html

Master
    Thanks for the recommendations, I've been in touch so hopefully something if will surface soon.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Stuart at horologyhub has one. Hands changed at service in the 90s but not over polished.
    I trust him 100% and suspect that as stated he's picky-ing the condition if the photos are anything to go by. Not a greedy price either.
    https://horologyhub.com/shop/rolex/r...-master-pepsi/
    Was in yesterday Speaking to Stuart, nice fellow, very knowledgeable.