closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Guitar for an octopus

Guitar for an octopus

Having started learning/playing acoustic guitar recently using a small bodied Taylor, I started reading up on guitar construction, history etc etc. I came across harp guitars, which I posted about on the "Show Your Guitars" thread. Today I came across this ......... as if 6 strings aren't enough to contend with!

F.T.F.A.

I think thats the most complex I've seen!

If you like that sort of thing, Candyrat Records is worth a browse through: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMJ...lHToOEpeuRGwXg

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Having started learning/playing acoustic guitar recently using a small bodied Taylor, I started reading up on guitar construction, history etc etc. I came across harp guitars, which I posted about on the "Show Your Guitars" thread. Today I came across this ......... as if 6 strings aren't enough to contend with!

How are you enjoying the learning. It's great fun isn't it.

I used to play a lot 30 years ago, gave up and rekindled the notion about 18 months ago. Loving it. What Taylor have you got?

Keep at it and happy strumming!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    How are you enjoying the learning. It's great fun isn't it.

I used to play a lot 30 years ago, gave up and rekindled the notion about 18 months ago. Loving it. What Taylor have you got?

Keep at it and happy strumming!

Jim

It certainly is great fun! I decided that I wanted something smaller than the Simon & Patrick SP6 dreadnaught I've had for some years, a more manageable body size and a shorter scale length to make those "awkward" chords and barring easier. After some research the Taylor GS Mini seemed to fit the bill perfectly, a scaled down body and a scale length of 23.5", 2" less than the norm. I went for the Koa model, with factory installed electrics, I was lucky to find a discount and just avoided a price rise, so it was about the same price as buying the sapele model with spruce top and buying the Taylor retro fit pick up kit, which isn't as good. The short scale means less string tension, and with the excellent Taylor set up the Elixir mediums 13-56 play really light, it really is easy to play and sounds excellent too. 6 weeks in I've got a few chords off, and have learned Norwegian Wood, just a case now of getting it up to speed and becoming smoother with the changes. There's lots of lessons on Youtube, and of course a tuner and metronome on the iPhone are good tools. Hope you're having as much fun as I am! Here's a pic of the Taylor...

Here's a shot I pinched of a Mini between a Martin travel guitar and a full sized Dreadnaught

F.T.F.A.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    It certainly is great fun! I decided that I wanted something smaller than the Simon & Patrick SP6 dreadnaught I've had for some years, a more manageable body size and a shorter scale length to make those "awkward" chords and barring easier. After some research the Taylor GS Mini seemed to fit the bill perfectly, a scaled down body and a scale length of 23.5", 2" less than the norm. I went for the Koa model, with factory installed electrics, I was lucky to find a discount and just avoided a price rise, so it was about the same price as buying the sapele model with spruce top and buying the Taylor retro fit pick up kit, which isn't as good. The short scale means less string tension, and with the excellent Taylor set up the Elixir mediums 13-56 play really light, it really is easy to play and sounds excellent too. 6 weeks in I've got a few chords off, and have learned Norwegian Wood, just a case now of getting it up to speed and becoming smoother with the changes. There's lots of lessons on Youtube, and of course a tuner and metronome on the iPhone are good tools. Hope you're having as much fun as I am! Here's a pic of the Taylor...

Here's a shot I pinched of a Mini between a Martin travel guitar and a full sized Dreadnaught

Great post and very informative. Thank you.

When I went back to it all I resurrected an old 'real' fender acoustic which I bought in 78. It's not the most expensive but I put it in to my local guitar guitar shop (highly recommended Stevie) and they set it up for me. They were all in raptures about the sound quality. I'm pleased. Then I put an ovation 12 string in and it came back like new.

I then bought a Taylor travel baby g. What a sound. All have elixirs on medium gauge and good for getting back again.
    We can compare notes as time progresses. I like the pic of the guitars. Thank you.

All the best!

Jim

EDIT. I love the look of your Taylor. Great wood.
    Last edited by Jimmcb; 27th February 2017 at 20:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Great post and very informative. Thank you.

When I went back to it all I resurrected an old 'real' fender acoustic which I bought in 78. It's not the most expensive but I put it in to my local guitar guitar shop (highly recommended Stevie) and they set it up for me. They were all in raptures about the sound quality. I'm pleased. Then I put an ovation 12 string in and it came back like new.

I then bought a Taylor travel baby g. What a sound. All have elixirs on medium gauge and good for getting back again.
    We can compare notes as time progresses. I like the pic of the guitars. Thank you.

All the best!

Jim

EDIT. I love the look of your Taylor. Great wood.

Re my choice of guitar. There were a few dealers around the country who had pictures of the actual guitars in stock, front and back, along with their serial numbers. GuitarGuitar in Newcastle had a big selection and one that I really liked, which would have been handy as it's a 13 minute train ride from Durham, but they refused to match a discount I'd found from another store. They must do well to turn away a sale like that on Jan 3rd! However, Wildwire Guitars in Selby had no such problem and the owner Leon was a pleasure to deal with, ordered on the 3rd and with me on the 4th. My pictures of the guitar are from the Wildwire website, and they must be taken at the Taylor factory and supplied to the dealer, as the package is clearly factory sealed. I've today on Youtube found a basic finger picking exercise tutorial, and also a 2 part acoustic lesson for "Hey Joe" using some of the major chords plus some finger work, so that's it until I have the current workload up to speed, oh let's see......... should be done by Christmas! ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

I commend you on your new found acoustic love Jim.

Acoustics now seem to me to be like playing a wardrobe!

Talking of multi strings, I have often fancied a Rickenbacker 12 but have enough trouble with six.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I commend you on your new found acoustic love Jim.

Acoustics now seem to me to be like playing a wardrobe!

Talking of multi strings, I have often fancied a Rickenbacker 12 but have enough trouble with six.
    Thanks Neil and good to hear from you.

This is one of those things I should never have stopped doing! I have to confess i recently bought a poor shape and condition but now great little classic/Spanish guitar too from a charity shop for a £5. I stripped it, cleaned it and restrung it. Lovely and just a nice mellow sound.

Look after yourself Neil and hope you're well buddy

Jim