closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nokia Relaunch

Nokia Relaunch

Is this going to work? I would not have thought so...looks dated already.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39095127

Master

Smile

Might suit me well.

Quote Originally Posted by Walesy View Post
    Is this going to work? I would not have thought so...looks dated already.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39095127
    Seems to me nothing more than a PR exercise to get brand awareness. Otherwise that smartphone is yet another generic android offering for the market.

I will definitely buy one. Got to be better than my Windows phone

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    I will definitely buy one. Got to be better than my Windows phone
    Oh god....I had them as standard issue from work, jesus....it was the worst phone ever, I went through a few, they kept dropping.

Craftsman
    Christian is right - it's a big ol' PR stunt to get some press time to talk about their smartphone offerings. If it hadn't been for the 3310 announcement, press would have probably just gone "Oh Jesus, he comes another forgettable Nokia smartphone"

I went through a few, they kept dropping.
    Lol, classic

More info here

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...even-has-snake

Nokia Relaunch

Oh god....I had them as standard issue from work, jesus....it was the worst phone ever, I went through a few, they kept dropping.
    My first proper work phone was a Nokia 6210. Brilliant as a phone, with the fat battery power would last for weeks. Great pad for fat fingers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I welcome the return of a proper mobile phone.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    My first proper work phone was a Nokia 6210. Brilliant as a phone, with the fat battery power would last for weeks. Great pad for fat fingers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The battery power was incredible to be fair, it really did last. It was my first vibrating phone, the ladies loved it!

Master
    Has there been many falls from positions of market dominance like that of Nokia? I can't think of too many.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Has there been many falls from positions of market dominance like that of Nokia? I can't think of too many.
    Blackberry has to be pretty close?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Blackberry has to be pretty close?
    Only one I can think of in the phone market anyway.

Still have strong brand recognition so will be interesting to see how Nokia play this out this time. I think they have a chance..

Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post
    Still have strong brand recognition so will be interesting to see how Nokia play this out this time. I think they have a chance..
    I hope they bring back the slide phones on android, I loved mine and would buy!

Surely retro is cool? I think this could be a huge success.
    Let's face it, most of us don't utilise a fraction of what a modern phone can actually do!

I'll probably buy one of these. For what reason though I have no idea.

I hope they bring back the slide phones on android, I loved mine and would buy!
    Backed with a half decent os with Android I reckon they have a great chance this time. Quality was never the issue for Nokia in my experience.

Sent from my SM-G935F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Will definitely be picking one up to replace my HTC one

Blog Entries
    defo getting one as back up phone, i loved my 8310.

Craftsman
    This would be a great phone for my dad, he just doesn't get along with smart phones, and he keeps dropping them breaking the screens in the process. If they are tough as originals were, they have a bit of a market me thinks

I don't understand why no phone manufacturer hasn't made use of the type of screen on a kindle, ok it's not color but clean a crisp to read and power usage is minimal.

Craftsman
    it's a great PR stunt, but they might get caught out if they don't make enough of them - it could be a hit for those of a certain age or some trendy teen wanting something a bit funky....who knows?

Craftsman
    Also will be picking up one of these, just wish they had binned the camera. 3G/4G to tether would have been nice! Certainly cheaper than a Punkt MP01 !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLbFHFsFCVQ

This video starts with the classic old school ring tone

Master
    There's now't wrong with a dumbphone.

They will take a call and also send it out. They are light and small and hence easy to carry. The batteries last for yonks

Also they are dirt cheap to buy and run.

Sounds good to me.

Master
    Great idea, but will it sell? Hmmmm.

personally I would trade 99% of the features of my Samsung for a decent battery life, I'm something of a late-comer to smartphones and still wish I had held back sometimes.

Who wrote the article? The 3310 was the first mass produced smart phone? I think the 3210 has it beat by a couple of years and 40 million or so units, and even that wasn't the first of the readily available mobile phones.

Master
    The Nokia 8210 - a Phone never bettered

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    The Nokia 8210 - a Phone never bettered
    Agreed it was perfect. Bring it back!

Master
    Back in the day when people actually used mobiles to make calls, Nokia seemed to be the instrument of choice for business users, great battery life, no fancy screens or apps to download, just a good solid performer that could be relied upon.
    Shame they lost their way when the "smart" phone made its appearance and they had nothing to bring to the market.

No. The best phone was the 6310i.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    I remember having one of these rather large beasts

http://nokiamuseum.info/nokia-9110i/

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    No. The best phone was the 6310i.
    Still have one of these in the 'drawer' - the battery life was phenomenal.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Great idea, but will it sell? Hmmmm.

personally I would trade 99% of the features of my Samsung for a decent battery life, I'm something of a late-comer to smartphones and still wish I had held back sometimes.

Who wrote the article? The 3310 was the first mass produced smart phone? I think the 3210 has it beat by a couple of years and 40 million or so units, and even that wasn't the first of the readily available mobile phones.
    Just buy the new Lenovo P2 it has a massive 5100mah battery and can easily go for three days with normal usage I can get over 8 hours screen on time and it is a great price at £199 it is superb for the money and it has a super Amoled screen as well which is stunning.

Master
    I'll buy one... heck I'll buy two!

SWMBO is still VERY unhappy about using a smartphone. Due to peer pressure (younger family members) she insisted she MUST have a smartphone. So I get her a Sony (something or other) and give her old Nokia to charity. Then she discovered that smartphones are rubbish i.e. you leave them on and the battery's flat in less than a day. You leave them off and they take ages switching on again. The touch screens are rubbish for accurate number typing. You hold the phone to your ear and you end up accidentaly switching buttons. etc... etc... I mean we only use a mobile phone maybe once in 6 months so a 'traditional' style phone like the Nokia is ideal. I've got a traditional phone in the glove box of the car. Not been switched on for over a year... A Nokia like this would be ideal.

I can't understand the reviewers moaning that the new Nokia doesn't support 3G/4G so browsing is slow! WHAT? You want to do 'browsing' on a screen about 2 inches across? If you MUST do the internet on your phone then get something with a huge screen (like a PC). The reviewers seem to be completely missing the point. I guess they must all be under 30 years old.

Honestly I think the new Nokia 3310 will be hugely popular.

There's a generation of people Social media users that are getting a bit bored of the constant need to share and be connected. This phone offers a bit of social media detox, and at a low cost it could be a very popular second phone.

I could see uses for such as; for holidays, mountain biking, nights out with friends, emergency phone in the car, taking to festivals ect. Or anywhere where the distraction of the internet is unwanted.

Master
    I loved my old 8800 'zippo' nokia it felt like something a bit special but in the end bowed to the pressure of a smart phone which never has due to size and form factor.
    I'm looking forward to the advent of folding or rollable screens so that companies can move away from the slab form factor and be creative again. I suspect though that we'll end up with a less intrusive version of google glass with a small form factor handset / keyboard with a furl out 'blue screen' that the glasses can easily overlay onto using AR tech.
    It's all been 'just around the corner' for at least a decade now so i'm not holding my breath though.

Blog Entries
    I could see uses for such as; for holidays, mountain biking, nights out with friends, emergency phone in the car, taking to festivals ect. Or anywhere where the distraction of the internet is unwanted.
    ^^^this^^^ I wouldn't mind owning one as a spare phone for this sort of activities. When working on cars, I always put my iPhone away. Thus missing calls. The Nokia will sit safely in my pocket. A water-resistant version would be a real plus as well.

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Kodak is the obvious one that is generally defined as the 'biggest' fall.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    ^^^this^^^ I wouldn't mind owning one as a spare phone for this sort of activities. When working on cars, I always put my iPhone away. Thus missing calls. The Nokia will sit safely in my pocket. A water-resistant version would be a real plus as well.

Menno
    Our phones have become too precious!

Will people ring you on the two possible numbers or is there technology to transfer calls?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff W View Post
    Kodak is the obvious one that is generally defined as the 'biggest' fall.
    Wasn't the market dominance that was lost but that the market largely disappeared.

This thread has sparked a new interest. I think I'll mount an expedition into the artic attic to find my 6310i (I may be some time) and maybe find a new battery on the net (although it was still perfectly fine when I last used it).

Question for those in the know: can I just order a new sim for the same number?

This thread has sparked a new interest. I think I'll mount an expedition into the artic attic to find my 6310i (I may be some time) and maybe find a new battery on the net (although it was still perfectly fine when I last used it).

Question for those in the know: can I just order a new sim for the same number?
    You can't have 2 sims with the same number if that is what you mean.

It is indeed. So if they issue a new one the other one is inactivated?

A SIM comes with it's own number. You then transfer your old number to the new SIM.

Gotcha. Thank you. Must do some more thinking

Master
    Gotcha. Thank you. Must do some more thinking
    Only thing I could think of would be to set up call divert. Although that would only work for receiving calls I believe.

Blog Entries
    Nothing wrong with putting the sim into another phone. When Nokia manages to 'receive' various sim sizes, things will be okay.

My sons, raised with only smartphones in the house, were stunned when they realised what the battery's capabilities are!

Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    Agreed it was perfect. Bring it back!
    agreed, loved the blue case and small size of my 8210, i never had a better phone

Journeyman
    My mobile phone is a Nokia that i bought about 10 years ago for £10 brand new as a PAYG. I've never owned a I phone or the likes as i don't feel the need to own one and definetely wouldn't get £30 or so per month's worth of usage out of it. I've got a I pad for internet browsing at home etc and the wife owns a digital camera for photos. I mainly email rather than text as email is free.
    not sure what the model number is but the battery lasts for about a week and i get a top up voucher approx every 2-3 months. it hasn't got a camera but does have a colour screen but no snake game. its got solitaire and a torchlight. Its virtually indestructible and doubles up as a toy for my 1 year old. its brilliant and i won't get a new one until this one dies, which isn't going to happen anytime soon.
    i think these will be popular but i can't imagine they will replace a smartphone, more of a cheap fashion accessory or for 2nd mobiles to conduct affairs.