closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Shure SE535 - replacement cables

Shure SE535 - replacement cables

Oh dear. Not long after the warranty expired my Shure SE535s started crackling and generally messing me about, and I've now determined that I need to replace the cable. However, my Google Fu has unearthed a whole subculture out there, where aftermarket cables are used to squeeze every last drop of performance out of these bad boys.

So, before I just go get a stock cable from Shure, can anyone recommend a sensibly priced upgrade? For reference, I'll have to pay anything from £35-45 to get a Shure replacement, depending on whether I want varying degrees of in-line functionality (I'lm an iPhone user). To be honesty, I'm not bothered about that, though, more about audio quality enhancement. However, I'm tempted to go wireless!

Thanks very much
    Last edited by learningtofly; 26th February 2017 at 10:33.

Master
    I bought a replacement cable for mine which has the volume control and microphone built in. Quite why the originals don't have them surprises me.

http://www.gear4music.com/Home-Audio...VMIYQ#full-des

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    I bought a replacement cable for mine which has the volume control and microphone built in. Quite why the originals don't have them surprises me.

http://www.gear4music.com/Home-Audio...VMIYQ#full-des
    Thank you, and I'd actually bookmarked this one as an option.

Master
    The only slight drawback about them, is that they don't have the stiffness at the ear end that allows the original cable to "mould" round the backs of your ear, so I usually end up putting them on like any other pair of buds. If you prefer the wires to be behind your ear, you might not find them as suitable.

The only slight drawback about them, is that they don't have the stiffness at the ear end that allows the original cable to "mould" round the backs of your ear, so I usually end up putting them on like any other pair of buds. If you prefer the wires to be behind your ear, you might not find them as suitable.
    I did wonder about that, actually, as none of Shure's replacement cables seem to offer the same moulded bit as the original. How do you wear them, then, given that the cable protrudes from the top of the earphones? Will they not stay behind your ear if you wear them that way?

Master
    To be honest, when I have them in front of my ears, it doesn't feel as if they're sticking out too much. Maybe it's just the shape,of my ears but I seem to manage to rotate them so that the plug isn't right at the top, in that way, they don't feel top heavy at all.
    I have put them behind my ears but they just don't feel as good as the original in that respect.

To be honest, when I have them in front of my ears, it doesn't feel as if they're sticking out too much. Maybe it's just the shape,of my ears but I seem to manage to rotate them so that the plug isn't right at the top, in that way, they don't feel top heavy at all.
    I have put them behind my ears but they just don't feel as good as the original in that respect.
    Thanks very much, and noted!

Master
    You're very welcome.
    To be honest, the convenience of being able to adjust the volume without having to dig around in your pocket was my main reason for buying, so I was willing to compromise.

Have a look at the Linum cables, extremely light but strengthened (Kevlar if memory serves). It's like having no cable at all.

http://www.earimpressions.co.uk/linu...a0bd782f5e3521

The 535's are MMCX connectors I believe?

Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    Have a look at the Linum cables, extremely light but strengthened (Kevlar if memory serves). It's like having no cable at all.

http://www.earimpressions.co.uk/linu...a0bd782f5e3521

The 535's are MMCX connectors I believe?
    Thank you - they look pretty good.

Master
    Tony,

If you contact them and express your unhappiness they are actually very good, I got a replacement at 70% of the RRP as a goodwill gesture and that was after the warranty had expired by a year. I was very impressed with there service.

if you need to buy some, gimme a shout T.

The mic/ volume control cable is designed to be used like a normal set of earphones, they don't go over the ears and tighten round the back of the neck. I can get you the normal cable that does as well.

i use the mic 90% of the time unless i'm flying or using them onstage.

Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    Tony,

If you contact them and express your unhappiness they are actually very good, I got a replacement at 70% of the RRP as a goodwill gesture and that was after the warranty had expired by a year. I was very impressed with there service.
    Noted Simon, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosty View Post
    if you need to buy some, gimme a shout T.

The mic/ volume control cable is designed to be used like a normal set of earphones, they don't go over the ears and tighten round the back of the neck. I can get you the normal cable that does as well.

i use the mic 90% of the time unless i'm flying or using them onstage.
    Exccellent, thanks - I'll ping you a PM when back from footie!

Every pair of my Shures have cracked where you bend it round your ears. The customer service is good but it's a pain to keep replacing them. I didn't know you could replace the cables! How do you go about replacing them?

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Every pair of my Shures have cracked where you bend it round your ears. The customer service is good but it's a pain to keep replacing them. I didn't know you could replace the cables! How do you go about replacing them?
    The earphones themselves are removeable - it's just a push fit into the cable.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    The earphones themselves are removeable - it's just a push fit into the cable.
    I think it's a standard MMCX connector of which there are many aftermarket replacements. The problem is that the connection is often the weak point, especially in terms of MMCX. I'm in the process of having a pair of Nuforce Primo 8's reshelled into a custom in ear monitor because the MMCX connection failed. Frsutating as they fitted very well.

LTF, take a look at cosmic ears if you fancy reshelling the 535's into a custom in-ear monitor:

http://www.cosmicears.com/product/r0...90869140625000

Well, I've gone for two options on the basis that I can return either or keep both.

Firstly, a wired solution.

Secondly, a Bluetooth solution.

Cost wise the Linum cable is pretty much the same as the OEM replacement so that's a no brainer given the apparent improvement in performance. However, the Westone alternative ain't cheap so it will need to be absolutely spot on in terms of connection, signal strength & consistency and sound quality. If all those things get a tick then it'll be a perfect, if expensive, wireless option for normal day to day use. (I do have a pair of Sony MDR 1000s but they're quite large over ear headphones and I don't use them when it's raining or when they're just inconvenient to wear.)

I'll report back when both cables have been received and properly tested. Thanks to all who offered advice.

Just a quick update on this, as I now have both cables to hand.

The Linum are absolutely amazing... almost weightless and near invisible, they seem to produce a lovely crisp sound, with slightly less bass than the OEMs (which suits me perfectly). The real revelation has been the Westones, though, which have turned my SE535s into a perfect wireless solution. So much so that I may sell my Sony on-ears as I'm not sure I need the two now.

Master
    Do you find the controls on each side of the Westone cable get a bit annoying? I guess you can't see the volume control as the distance from the earpiece plug seems very short?

Do you find the controls on each side of the Westone cable get a bit annoying? I guess you can't see the volume control as the distance from the earpiece plug seems very short?
    Actually, in practice it's very easy to operate it by touch, and it's quite intuitive because of the way the buttons are laid out.

Master
    Thanks, how about them floating around your cheeks? Do they hit off your face when you turn your head?

Thanks, how about them floating around your cheeks? Do they hit off your face when you turn your head?
    I'm wearing them looped under my chin. As long as you tighten them enough they stay behind your ears, so again not a problem. I imagine that, worn behind the head, it would be even easier to keep the cable in place.

Craftsman
    Well, I've gone for two options on the basis that I can return either or keep both.

Firstly, a wired solution.

Secondly, a Bluetooth solution.

Cost wise the Linum cable is pretty much the same as the OEM replacement so that's a no brainer given the apparent improvement in performance. However, the Westone alternative ain't cheap so it will need to be absolutely spot on in terms of connection, signal strength & consistency and sound quality. If all those things get a tick then it'll be a perfect, if expensive, wireless option for normal day to day use. (I do have a pair of Sony MDR 1000s but they're quite large over ear headphones and I don't use them when it's raining or when they're just inconvenient to wear.)

I'll report back when both cables have been received and properly tested. Thanks to all who offered advice.
    What Bluetooth ones find you get ?

I bought the B&W P5 wireless recently, amazing sound quality and has forced me to rerip all my music to FLAC.

I also bought some £14 Bluetooth headphones (Amazon) for running / commuting and they have been fantastic.

I also have some AKG702 for Hifi listening but they're a bit big and open backed which doesn't suit me.
    Last edited by gavsw20; 24th March 2017 at 16:53.

Just a quick update on this, as I now have both cables to hand.

The Linum are absolutely amazing... almost weightless and near invisible, they seem to produce a lovely crisp sound, with slightly less bass than the OEMs (which suits me perfectly). The real revelation has been the Westones, though, which have turned my SE535s into a perfect wireless solution. So much so that I may sell my Sony on-ears as I'm not sure I need the two now.
    Glad the Linum sound good, I'm just waiting for a pair of custom in ear monitors ( the reshell couldn't be done due to a fault with the donor drivers so I went with the 6 driver customs since my ears seem to be rejecting any IEM and can never get a good seal or comfortable fit) and I have the Linum cable sitting at home ready to drop straight in. The guy who did my ear impressions sells them and had a demo cable there. Amazing little thing like a piece of cotton in terms of its size and thickness.
    Last edited by tiny73; 24th March 2017 at 10:17.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    Glad the Linum sound good, I'm just waiting for a pair of custom in ear monitors ( the reshell couldn't be done due to a fault with the donor drivers so I went with the 6 driver customs since my ears seem to be rejecting any IEM and can never get a good seal or comfortable fit) and I have the Linum cable sitting at home ready to drop straight in. The guy who did my ear impressions sells them and had a demo cable there. Amazing little thing like a piece of cotton in terms of its size and thickness.
    Yes, they were a great shout!