Thread: Can anyone else but Rolex service a Seadweller

Master
    Blog Entries

Can anyone else but Rolex service a Seadweller

Anyone know?

Cheers,
    M

Master
    The answer I got to this was, no. If no parts are needed, you have a chance with an indy but they cannot order parts from the mothership.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Genesis and Steven hale?

Master
    Don't think so, not at the moment anyways. Only Rolex can pressure test the depth needed - I believe none of their accredited repairs are set up for this yet.

Blog Entries
    Brendan (of this parish) did mine recently (last year). Drop him a pm.

Master
    Blog Entries
    As far as I'm aware, yes aside from the HEV valve parts.
    Duncan (The watch bloke) certainly does them.

Master
    Others can service them but they can't pressure test them much beyond 200m and as stated above, any parts beyond the mundane will be impossible for an indy to source these days.

Master
    I phoned Rolex UK to enquire about a crystal for mine recently and they told me that they did not supply any parts for the SD to their accredited independents. I suspect this was due to the waterproofness test, which they alone are equipped for.

Master
    Duncan the watch bloke will pressure tests to 300m.

Really makes it a tricky one for vintage though, where Rolex seem to be hell bent on replacing everything with shiny new service parts if you send it in for a service. Is there any official work around for that? Surely Rolex would want vintage watches to get properly serviced but left alone aesthetically. If they become more valuable as a result then that can only be a good thing for Rolex surely?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post

Really makes it a tricky one for vintage though, where Rolex seem to be hell bent on replacing everything with shiny new service parts if you send it in for a service. Is there any official work around for that? Surely Rolex would want vintage watches to get properly serviced but left alone aesthetically. If they become more valuable as a result then that can only be a good thing for Rolex surely?

Not sure this is true unless he has changed his testing machine recently. I have had 2 300m depth rated Omegas serviced by him within the past 6 months and both were tested to 10bar (100m) only. Not that it makes all that much difference at all but thought I should mention it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Not sure this is true unless he has changed his testing machine recently. I have had 2 300m depth rated Omegas serviced by him within the past 6 months and both were tested to 10bar (100m) only. Not that it makes all that much difference at all but thought I should mention it.
    The first service invoice for my SD states 10 bar, with the subsequent invoices stating 30 bar. I'll have a look at the invoice dates if I can remember.

Master
    Blog Entries

Rolex will only do as much as you tell them to do. They will leave hands / Dials / cases alone at your request. However, there will always be a risk in removing old hands and such like. Also as far as I know, they won't warrant WR with old plexis, (stand to be corrected though).

Master

Really makes it a tricky one for vintage though, where Rolex seem to be hell bent on replacing everything with shiny new service parts if you send it in for a service. Is there any official work around for that?
    As simple as it might sound, you just ask them. But in great detail. This is typical of instructions I've sent before with a watch.

Do not replace dial
    Do not replace hands
    Do not replace Plexi glass
    Do not polish case
    Do not replace bezel or bezel insert
    You may replace crown and tube if required
    Movement service only, you may replace movement parts.

Etc etc etc

Beat me to it Dave, and I concur about waterproofness if you don't allow them to replace the glass.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Rolex will only do as much as you tell them to do. They will leave hands / Dials / cases alone at your request. However, there will always be a risk in removing old hands and such like. Also as far as I know, they won't warrant WR with old plexis, (stand to be corrected though).
    Thanks for that Dave. For some reason I was under the impression that they insist on replacing (the old bond Street AD certainly told me that if a sub with Cyclops removed went in for service, they would require the crystal be replaced for on with a Cyclops).
    Last edited by hafle; 25th February 2017 at 19:24.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Brendan (of this parish) did mine recently (last year). Drop him a pm.

Thank you Martyn.

The SD is straightforward to service and although rarely needs parts I can usually source them.

The problem is pressure testing though.

I can only guarantee 100 metres but use a colleague who can test to 300m.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    I can pressure test to 320bar (3,200m approx) but it will incur an extra charge as the watch has to go into my hydrostatic tester which has to be run up and drained each time it's used. By default I pressure test to 10bar (or less if the watches pressure rating's less) as that's the maximum my Poseidon LT-100 will go to, I can also provide a printout with it (I can't with the hydrostatic test) and it's more than 99% of my customers will ever dive to!