closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega De Ville, blue dial, cal 752

Master

Omega De Ville, blue dial, cal 752

A couple of quick phone shots of one of mine that doesn’t get out much - a blue dialled De Ville, with what I believe is a cal 752. These had a monobloc case - all work carried out from the front.

This was serviced by STS several years ago, and it keeps excellent time. I don’t wear it much, as setting the day is extremely laborious - almost worth waiting for the right day of the week (or the previous day, in fact) before setting. At least the date is quick-set.

Lovely brushed blue dial which varies from mid-blue to almost black, depending on angle. Applied 70s-style indices, and a nice applied Omega logo.

Last edited by Si; 25th February 2017 at 22:09.

Master
    Wow that is nice.....wear it and enjoy it.

Grand Master
    That would sit very nicely in my collection! Never seen one of these before, I like it a lot.

As for setting the day, if you run the hands backwards the day sets backwards, so at worst you're only 3 days out. I like these 752 movements, it's basically a 565 with a day complication. The dial has a spacer under it to provide the extra depth required. The day/date mechanism is atraightforward enough but getting the day and date change synchronised can be a challenge.

Maybe it needs a new home if it doesn't come out often?

Paul

Nice Watch,

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    As for setting the day, if you run the hands backwards the day sets backwards, so at worst you’re only 3 days out.
    True, I noticed that last night. It just doesn’t feel right to run the watch backwards, somehow, but presumably it makes no difference given your post.

This is my father’s watch, although I have had it for years, so it won’t be for sale I’m afraid!

Grand Master
    Running it backwards will do no harm, trust me.

In view of the sentimental attachment there's no point twisting your arm.....you're not going to sell and rightly so!

Enjoy the watch, it's a cracker.

Paul

It's certainly an unusual vintage Omega, but I rather like it. I think I bought a Geneve with the same shape case from Eddie from way back when he used to sell vintage watches.

Journeyman
    What are the dimensions of the case? I love the watch

Master
    It’s quite compact: only 38mm across including the crown (which only adds another 1mm or so). About 37mm vertically lug tip to lug tip. It sits very nicely on the wrist, as the side elevation is curved. Nevertheless, it is a small watch that would look a bit lost on a larger wrist.

Journeyman
    It is a lovely thing - if a bit small for me - I wish they would drawn on this for the modern collection

Grand Master
    People have to accept that watches from this era were smaller than today's offerings. 34-37 mm was the norm, and everyone was happy with that. Having grown up with smaller watches I still prefer them, if I was trying to buy a new modern watch I would struggle because the majority are too big and thick for my taste (and wrist!).

Slom smaller watches are actually v. comfortable to wear....... but for those who've become acustomed to the big clunky offerings ir's a bit of a change and it takes some getting used to!

Paul

People have to accept that watches from this era were smaller than today's offerings. 34-37 mm was the norm, and everyone was happy with that. Having grown up with smaller watches I still prefer them, if I was trying to buy a new modern watch I would struggle because the majority are too big and thick for my taste (and wrist!).

Slom smaller watches are actually v. comfortable to wear....... but for those who've become acustomed to the big clunky offerings ir's a bit of a change and it takes some getting used to!

Paul
    I think that it is inevitable that large watches will go out of fashion at some point like they did in the 1980s. Not sure I've seen any signs of it yet though. Many of the young fashion conscious seem to be wearing large (40mm plus) 3-handed dress watches at the moment. Well, at least those who can be bothered to wear a watch at all.

That would sit very nicely in my collection! Never seen one of these before, I like it a lot.

As for setting the day, if you run the hands backwards the day sets backwards, so at worst you're only 3 days out. I like these 752 movements, it's basically a 565 with a day complication. The dial has a spacer under it to provide the extra depth required. The day/date mechanism is atraightforward enough but getting the day and date change synchronised can be a challenge.

Maybe it needs a new home if it doesn't come out often?

Paul
    After our recent correspondence, Paul, I thought you would take an interest in this one ...

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk