closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you become a pill popper?

Master

Have you become a pill popper?

I heard recently that the average 55+ take four pills a day. Up until the beginning of the month I didn't take any pills at all except for vitamin D which the gp recommended. One heart attack later and I've joined the club with Bisoprolol, Atorvastatin, Ramipril, Tigarelor and aspirin. Happy days but I wouldn't want to be behind the curve of mr. average. What's your poison?

D-Mannose since I've issues with water infections. Not sure about other supplements. Tempted by Vitamin D.

Other than cod liver oil and glucosamine sulfate, not usually anything.

I've been on Naproxen and Co-codamol for the last couple of weeks for shoulder pain, however I'm hoping the ultrasound guided steroid injections I had this morning will put a stop to that
    Last edited by ed335d; 26th February 2017 at 10:02.

Gabapentin three times a day for my back.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Daily: Vit D, multivitamin, glucosamine sulphate, pro-biotic

I'm not a big fruit /vegetable eater, so these (hopefully) help.

1 x Cod liver oil and Glucosamine.

Nothing!

Mark

Glucosamine, chondroitin, multi vit, MSN and omega 3.

Master
    Nothing but lately I feel like Im falling to bits so maybe I should

Omeprazole & Lipitor with possible Ramipril coming up (depending on results of a pending 24 hour 'ambulatory' blood pressure test).

Nothing. And if you live in the countryside you have no excuse to need vit D as a good daily walk outside around noon will get you enough sun to allow your body to synthesise what you need throughout the year.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Vits C & D, glucosamine and 75mg aspirin.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Nothing. And if you live in the countryside you have no excuse to need vit D as a good daily walk outside around noon will get you enough sun to allow your body to synthesise what you need throughout the year.
    Is 'being at work' a valid excuse?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Nowt on the outside, vitamins in the chamber.

mike

For everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Is 'being at work' a valid excuse?
    No, unless you don't have a lunch break.

Quote Originally Posted by scottbombedout View Post
    For everyone?
    Unless you've been diagnosed with a severe sun allergy or an inability to synthesise vit D. Extreme latitudes may foil that plan but I am reliably informed that whale or seal blubber will see you through

Try living in the North of Scotland and see how much sun you can get around noon for most of the year
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Nothing. Having a nutrionist and molecular pharmacologist for siblings I've been become brainwashed in to how most of these things are utter nonsense (aside from a placebo effect).

I'm beginning to think, in some respects, that you live in Cloud Cuckooland with 'Cilla

It's nice to think everyone gets a solid hour away from their desk at lunchtime (in glorious sunshine year 'round - Is Ashford's weather THAT good?), but the reality is quite different for many, many people.

I take a statin and something else to control high cholestrol, although I've never had high blood pressure or any other symptons, just seems my family have it (there's a term which I can't be bothered to look up) and the doctor advised me to take it to ward off the possible effects.

After 3 years I've no side-effects (Statins almost killed my mum as her Liver stopped working, but I'm on a very low dose).

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 24th February 2017 at 16:59.

Master
    Blog Entries

Not true unless you are a naturist living in California. Most of our skin is normally covered in clothes & never receives any sunlight, especially in the winter. And in the Summer there's an increasing trend to use high sun protection factor sun creams because of the risk of skin cancer. It's a sad fact that the majority of the population in this country are vitamin D deficient. The government have been advised this but have chosen to ignore it on the basis that dishing out vitamin D to the population will be too costly. They've taken the option to wait & see what the long term effects might be.

Edit: Red Krill oil & 1000iu vitamin D daily for me

Edit 2: this relates to the USA but it's no better in the UK https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...united-states/
    Last edited by trident-7; 24th February 2017 at 17:07.

Uv b go through clouds. My lunch break is 36 minutes. And there are WE
    But thanks all the same.

But thanks all the same.
    Is two days a week enough to get a full dose of Vit D?

I must admit I don't take it and always TRY and get out for 10 minutes (or more - managed 30 minutes today) if I can, but some days it just doesn't work.

That said, I fully support the idea of getting out and having a walk most days, especially if you're desk bound.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 24th February 2017 at 17:06.

But thanks all the same.

Do you know how many people in this country are at risk of Vitamin D deficiency? And no, no matter how many walks they take, they still won't produce enough.

As I said latitude is an issue but it affects a minority. Townies are also at a disadvantage. But for the rest, what the sun doesn't provide can come from food. I know there was a big headline a few weeks ago but how many cases of rickets have you observed in your lifetime. Now consider the market supplements represent.
    If people make the effort of walking 20 Minutes a day through the year, and with sleeves rolled up when the weather allows it those who are clinically deficient will probably be reduced by 99% in the countryside population.

As I said latitude is an issue but it affects a minority. Townies are also at a disadvantage. But for the rest, what the sun doesn't provide can come from food. I know there was a big headline a few weeks ago but how many cases of rickets have you observed in your lifetime. Now consider the market supplements represent.
    If people make the effort of walking 20 Minutes a day through the year, and with sleeves rolled up when the weather allows it those who are clinically deficient will probably be reduced by 99% in the countryside population.
    You are wrong again.

My wife has coeliac disease she can't absorb Vit D. She needs a supplement and has regular bone scans to check.

People with inflammatory bowel disease can't absorb properly.

But keep going...

3 different blood pressure pills every day for the last 12 years or so, since i was 29/30. As of last month, i now need a thyroxine pill every day too, for underactive thyroid

Ramipril and now solifenacin :(

Daily vitamin D and multi vitamin.

Master
    50 here (age, that is). No pills, although I am thinking about aspirin.

Quote Originally Posted by scottbombedout View Post
    You are wrong again.

My wife has coeliac disease she can't absorb Vit D. She needs a supplement and has regular bone scans to check.

People with inflammatory bowel disease can't absorb properly.

But keep going...
    Stop saying people are wrong just because you can't read. I posted a number of caveats at the beginning and if your wife cannot get the part from food that over people do then it becomes a prescription.
    Most people take supplements, including vit D, for the wrong reasons.

Stop saying people are wrong just because you can't read. I posted a number of caveats at the beginning and if your wife cannot get the part from food that over people do then it becomes a prescription.
    Most people take supplements, including vit D, for the wrong reasons.
    I'm not saying people are wrong. I am saying you are wrong. Just because you can't read!

In fact Doctor, I think you are a complete and total idiot. Hope you can read that?

Master
    No, unless you don't have a lunch break.
    I don't, as it happens. I'll stick with the Vit D, although I do go for walks and runs of a weekend.
    Last edited by demonloop; 24th February 2017 at 18:03.

Vit D levels are useless.
    Taking Vit D supplements has not been shown to be helpful even if levels are low ( except those at risk of osteoporosis)
    It is one of the biggest medical hoaxes of last few decades.
    It IS an indicator of poor health but taking supplements is not the answer.
    Being outdoors , exercising etc are more helpful as they improve general health.
    US task force for preventive health does not recommend routine VIT D testing as there is no agreement amongst scientists about how low is exactly low and what to do about it and if supplements are actually helpful.
    By and large, supplements won't hurt- so no harm in taking them but OTOH, no need to take them either.
    Don't expect most GPS to know that,though.

Nothing here fwiw but I get plenty/practically daily exercise, mucho sun and eat lots of fruit and veg, donīt hardly ever eat pre-prepared..and Iīm only 46. But everyone has different needs and requirements.
    Anyone know what the whole multi Vit for the masses "industry" is worth annually?

Going to have to call you out on that one. Petal (she of the excellent diet and outdoor life) has just had tests for something unrelated and they reported her D level as "insufficient but not deficient" frankly I can scarcely see how anyone could have a more balanced diet or reasonably spend any more time outdoors than her.
    Last edited by catch21; 24th February 2017 at 18:28.

Have you become a pill popper?

http://www.fremontnaturaldentistry.c...dontal-health/

This was sent to me by a patient, for me I think they are trying to turn what should be a healthy lifestyle choice into a medical need that can be billed as a treatment. I advised her to eat her salad for lunch outside.

At a recent professional course the speaker advised we tell all our "high caries" patients to consume 10g of xyletol a day as this will disrupt how oral bacteria will interact with regular sugars in the diet. This translates to either constantly chewing gum or sucking sugarfree mints which will give you a TMJ problem to treat and probably chronic diarrhoea
    Last edited by MarkO; 24th February 2017 at 21:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Nothing here fwiw but I get plenty/practically daily exercise, mucho sun and eat lots of fruit and veg, donīt hardly ever eat pre-prepared..and Iīm only 46. But everyone has different needs and requirements.
    Anyone know what the whole multi Vit for the masses "industry" is worth annually?
    In your case,the risk comes from consuming copious amounts of a particular coolaid:-) 😜

Master
    Blog Entries
    diahorrea...is that a correct version of the spelling? I always spell it diarrhoea.

I'm not sure chewing chewing gum is a major cause of TMJ dysfunction syndrome. At least not in my experience & not in the way that nocturnal bruxism & clenching is. In my experience more people are clenching & grinding their teeth at night than aren't. Not that many of them think they do or believe they do even when they are advised.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    In your case,the risk comes from consuming copious amounts of a particular coolaid:-) 
    Hehe lolīd, no-oneĻs perfect.

Iīve just begun consuming a very pleasant red from Jumilla at the moment:)Salud.

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Going to have to call you out on that one. Petal (she of the excellent diet and outdoor life) has just had tests for something unrelated and they reported her D level as "insufficient but not deficient" frankly I can scarcely see how anyone could have a more balanced diet or reasonably spend any more time outdoors than her.
    Then it is something she may want to investigate. From what you are saying she might get her vit D from one only of the 2 common sources despite an appropriate diet and exposure to UV B.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Hehe lolīd, no-oneĻs perfect.

Iīve just begun consuming a very pleasant red from Jumilla at the moment:)Salud.

I am on a Nuits Saint Georges 1er Cru "Les Pruliers" 2013.

I take about eight prescription medications every morning plus five every night. Oh, and two different vitamin tablets.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    http://www.fremontnaturaldentistry.c...dontal-health/

This was sent to me by a patient, for me I think they are trying to turn what should be a healthy lifestyle choice into a medical need that can be billed as a treatment. I advised her to eat her salad for lunch outside.

At a recent professional course the speaker advised we tell all our "high caries" patients to consume 10g of xyletol a day as this will disrupt how oral bacteria will interact with regular sugars in the diet. This translates to either constantly chewing gum or sucking sugarfree mints which will give you a TMJ problem to treat and probably chronic diahorrea.
    The recommended Xylitol intake here is 5g per day. That translates into one or two lozenges or a couple of minutes of chewing gum after each meal. Surely not something to cause diarrhoea or TMJ.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    MDMA, CRACK, IBUPROFEN, ASPRIN,

rinse and repeat

75mg aspirin and a multivitamin.

Opiate based pain meds for a long term shoulder injury which I probabily never come off :(

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    75mg aspirin and a multivitamin.
    I'm thinking of a daily dose of half of a normal aspirin
    What's the recommended dose ?
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    I'm thinking of a daily dose of half of a normal aspirin
    What's the recommended dose ?
    Andy
    Whatever your doctor suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Whatever your doctor suggests.