closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Persistent Cough

Persistent Cough

I have just come down with this virus that causes a persistent, very long lasting cough. The majority of the adults in the school have been suffering, some since before Xmas. The cough just doesn't seem to go away for long before it's back. Goodness knows how many doctors' visits have been racked up between us all.

Can anyone shed any light, especially the sort you find at the end of a tunnel? I've been trying lemon and honey which seems remarkably effective if only for a few hours at a time.

Anything would help, it's really getting some of the staff down.
    Last edited by catch21; 24th February 2017 at 10:20. Reason: grammar

Mine has come back at some point every week since Boxing Day, along with a headache and various other flu type symptom. In fact I felt awful when I woke up this morning.

As its viral then theres not much you can do other than to get as much rest as possible and generally look after yourself.

Its a real bugger.

I have been using Allens honey & pine syrup - which is revolting (tastes like toilet cleaner and makes me gag) but does bring some relief especially at night.
    Last edited by Velorum; 24th February 2017 at 10:20.

Master
    Go to the GP, there is a lot of this going around.
    I popped in to one for a travel vaccination last week, half the people in the waiting room were coughing a lot.
    Wasn't nice but so far I haven't caught anything.
    Hope you get better soon.

Master
    Why does anybody go to the Doctor anymore when they can ask a bunch of watch nerd?

A good strong whisky always works for me.

I've just finished one hell of a cold. Try rubbing Vicks on your feet. Almost sleep upright in bed loads of cushions. Use menthol crystals an hour before bed. Eat as much citrus fruit as you can. Limit your activities, take a few days off! Good luck

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakir Khaja View Post
    Go to the GP, there is a lot of this going around.
    I popped in to one for a travel vaccination last week, half the people in the waiting room were coughing a lot.
    Wasn't nice but so far I haven't caught anything.
    Hope you get better soon.
    Don't clog up the doctors surgery with it unless you have a serious underlying medical condition, there is little they can do as its a virus. Just keep hydrated and turn down the central heating (this played havoc with mine at night)

I've has it twice so far, before and after xmas and lasted about 5 weeks for each. Its sucks and isn't pleasant but you just have to wait for it to go.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've had it & was advised by my GP that the Respiratory Syncitial Virus is doing the rounds. I was advised to drink plenty of fluids

The kids and I go through bad spells of these now and again and cough so bad sometime I wretch....

Things that work:

Fisherman's Friends
    Chilli sauce (Anything hot and spicy will provide temporary relief)
    Night nurse
    Covonia linctus
    Cut a large onion in half and place on your bedside table

plenty of sleep, fluids etc...

Thanks for the thoughts. Very helpful, especially knowing it might be five weeks coughing, some respite, five more weeks coughing, gone. At least you can prepare for that. It sometimes seems like it's never going away.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    The kids and I go through bad spells of these now and again and cough so bad sometime I wretch....

Things that work:

Fisherman's Friends
    Chilli sauce (Anything hot and spicy will provide temporary relief)
    Night nurse
    Covonia linctus
    Cut a large onion in half and place on your bedside table

plenty of sleep, fluids etc...
    Whats the theory with onion?

Quote Originally Posted by LuBee View Post
    Whats the theory with onion?
    Load of old tosh.

I thought the old-wives tale was it had to be under the bed. Equally tosh BTW.

Lady in the office next to mine has had hers for 7 weeks now, including the three she had off sick leave because it was so bad. Sounds like she's trying to clear cement dust out of her lungs :( Again, she's been told it's viral and not bacterial infection so there's very little they can do for her except wait for it to clear off naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Load of old tosh.

I thought the old-wives tale was it had to be under the bed. Equally tosh BTW.
    Not so - I've tried it and it works - works especially well on the kids too - been doing it for years and last time I checked I was not an old wife...
    perhaps it just doesnt work for you - not going to work for everyone is it now.
    Used this week on one of the kids for three nights in a row - last night no coughing... then again kids seem to get better quicker than us oldies.

Eating onions, (red especially) is well know to be good for the Pleura...
    Breathing in the onion fumes helps thin the mucus, plus they are meant to absorb pathogens, therefor you must discard the onions and not use them in a salad the day after them being on your bedside table.
    Last edited by Xantiagib; 24th February 2017 at 13:01.

Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    Why does anybody go to the Doctor anymore when they can ask a bunch of watch nerd?
    Some of us are health professionals, well I was until they got all nit pick with their silly 'gross clinical incompetence' carry on.

Mark my words, a good bread poultice is the real answer for leg fractures. That chap would have lost his leg anyway I don't see why I had to get the blame.

I've bee the same and I've found a salt pipe helps control the cough.

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/sho...FYgy0wodG1kC6w

Quote Originally Posted by Barton Red View Post
    I've bee the same and I've found a salt pipe helps control the cough.

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/sho...FYgy0wodG1kC6w
    Nice simple little device, add some chopped onions and you're laughing

Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    Not so - I've tried it and it works - works especially well on the kids too - been doing it for years and last time I checked I was not an old wife...
    perhaps it just doesnt work for you - not going to work for everyone is it now.
    Used this week on one of the kids for three nights in a row - last night no coughing... then again kids seem to get better quicker than us oldies.

Eating onions, (red especially) is well know to be good for the Pleura...
    Breathing in the onion fumes helps thin the mucus, plus they are meant to absorb pathogens, therefor you must discard the onions and not use them in a salad the day after them being on your bedside table.
    Does it suck the pathogens out of the body?

I have just got shot of it, it took 3 months in total.
    Seemed to go away, came back slightly different, chest cold, head cold, constant cough etc.

It gets to the stage that you cannot remember what it was like to feel well.
    Nightmare.

I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Had this virus on and off since Boxing day and seems to have now mutated into a hacking cough - ruddy awful.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

A lot of undiagnosed persistent cough is acid reflux. It was in my case. Zantac in the short term and a change of diet longer term fixed it.

My son is particularly striken with it, too (my wife a bit, but not so bad).

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Some of us are health professionals, well I was until they got all nit pick with their silly 'gross clinical incompetence' carry on.

Mark my words, a good bread poultice is the real answer for leg fractures. That chap would have lost his leg anyway I don't see why I had to get the blame.
    Quack! Everyone knows leaches are the answer to, well, everything!

M.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    Seemed to go away, came back slightly different, chest cold, head cold, constant cough etc.

It gets to the stage that you cannot remember what it was like to feel well.
    Nightmare.
    I am relieved, mine is at 3 weeks and counting. Had to take 4.5 days off, turned up for work and was told "stop infecting the rest of us get lost"!
    Coughing out great globs of brown/green phlegm especially in the morning. Feel like shite all day, take 2 cocodamols at night, the codeine helps with the cough anyway! Friday night don't even feel like having a drink! Goodbye cruel world!

This is how the Zombie Apocalypse starts, mark these words.

Blog Entries
    Get it checked! A cough like this can turn into bronchitis or even pneumonia. I had pneumonia 10 yrs ago - which had started as a cold & cough. Took me two months to recover. I wasn't allowed to work and I didn't want to: every physical strain caused a lot of coughing.

Do think easy about it.

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by LuBee View Post
    Don't clog up the doctors surgery with it unless you have a serious underlying medical condition, there is little they can do as its a virus.
    Indeed, a visit to a pharmacist in this instance should suffice for initial advice. I had something like this around about this time last year, lasted around 6-7 weeks in total, had cold symptoms as well so just took the occasional paracetamol and Berroca - not on professional advice, I might add.

Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    100 day cough...is there pertussis going around again this year?

I would say he's had it long enough to warrant a trip to the Dr's.
    You may need some antibiotics!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    I've been lucky, despite a tendancy to suffer from chest infections that goes right back to childhood, I've escaped this winter. However, I've had 3 bouts of the so-called winter vomiting virus since November (wifey had it twice too). The last bout was followed by a heavy lingering head cold so I ended up feeling shit for a full 3 weeks. Still suffering the after- effects, been to the gym twice this week but still not feeling great.

It's like playing snakes and ladders; just started getting fit again with gym sessions and running, all's going well, then the bloody winter viruses kick in and it's back to square one!

Roll on summer.........and hay fever

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by carlt69 View Post
    I would say he's had it long enough to warrant a trip to the Dr's.
    You may need some antibiotics!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Who? The OP has been there.

When i thought i I was going deaf, I tried to get an appointment, but gave up after 3 weeks. Not a chance. Finally got one of the ent guys I work with to see me, although it was informal.

No no wonder people clog up A and E
    Last edited by sestrel; 25th February 2017 at 16:03.

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    When i thought i I was going death, I tried to get an appointment, but gave up after 3 weeks. Not a chance. Finally got one of the ent guys I work with to see me, although it was informal. No no wonder people clog up A and E
    "Envy of the world."

If it persists after two months, make sure you go and see your GP.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Good luck

- - - Updated - - -

Good luck

Master
    I've had a cough for over a week. I normally get over these sorts of things in a few days. Went to the GP and he wasn't much help other than giving me a prescription for an inhaler as it would help keep my air way open and allow what he thinks is a cold to pass.

Master
    I started with the cough at Xmas, mid Jan turned to chest infection.
    Course of antibiotics & still got cough but almost gone finally.