closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Peckforton LR Experience

Master
    Blog Entries

Peckforton LR Experience

We did the LR Off road in beautiful Cheshire yesterday driving the Discovery 4, we had it has a freebie when you buy a LR. As soon as the D5 gets delivered to the centres they are dropping the D4 so time was of the essence to do it in arguably the best Off Roader on the market. My daughter has driven my D4 on the road but nothing prepared her for the experience out on the course, her face when we got to a sheer drop and be told when we start the decent just steer the car on to the tilting bridge then creep forward till it drops, all this and the electronics will control everything. The electronic traction wizardry is nothing short of sheer brilliance.

Paul

Master
    Blog Entries
    I did one of those in an ML at Mercedes Benz World.
    Good day out.

You've reminded me to book my day there, ta. Hopefully they will still be using the Disco 4....

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    You've reminded me to book my day there, ta. Hopefully they will still be using the Disco 4....
    Hi Kirk
    The manager was adamant that when the D5 gets delivered which is middle of March they are dropping the D4 straight away, so if you want to do it in the D4 I would book now.

Paul

I won a day there in a LR charity bash I was invited to. The closest thing they had to my G-WAC was a Defender, so I did it in that.
    It was a while back; before the fire. Great fun.

Well the storm has made the track to our Welsh holiday cottage somewhat interesting...glad I was driving the Disco!

I just rang Peckforton but their systems are down, they are calling me back. If they are replacing the Disco 4 with 5 in March I might be in the newer version, but that's not the end of the world!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes Kirk but its just nice to do it in the car you drive

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Yes Kirk but its just nice to do it in the car you drive
    Agreed Paul mate. Hopefully I'll get a 4.

I tried to book last year but there was a long lead time and I forgot to ring them back.

We'll probably end up with Disco 5 in 2 years time in any case.

Master
    My cousin recently bought an Evoque so we're going to go to one of these events. I've done something similar and really enjoyed it so looking forward to it. I recently started driving my dad's older RR Sport and I love it, so all this 4x4 thing has become of major interest al of a sudden. Loving the Discovery 4 above as well; definitely a car I'd consider in the future.

My old man got a new Disco in September so got a invite.

Yes very nice we done the Peckforton Castle several months ago, food in the hotel superb.

Having done the MB one and a couple of LR ones previously before the LR ones are definitely better.
    Last edited by Snoodles; 23rd February 2017 at 23:21.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoodles View Post
    My old man got a new Disco in September so got a invite.

Yes very nice we done the Peckforton Castle several months ago, food in the hotel superb.

LR ones are def better.
    Because it's done in proper 4x4😉

Because it's done in proper 4x4
    Possibly although could be argued a hand built G Wagon is Superior..

Quote Originally Posted by Snoodles View Post
    Possibly although could be argued a hand built G Wagon is Superior..
    They are very good. Superior? I'd have to see the evidence...

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would very much doubt the Electronic wizardry of the Merc is anywhere near as good, it's said that the LRs off road traction telemetry box of tricks, call it what you will is the best on the market, and after Tuesday I am inclined to agree. I agree the Merc G Wagon is a fantastic bit of kit but it's a bit old school now

I would very much doubt the Electronic wizardry of the Merc is anywhere near as good, it's said that the LRs off road traction telemetry box of tricks, call it what you will is the best on the market, and after Tuesday I am inclined to agree. I agree the Merc G Wagon is a fantastic bit of kit but it's a bit old school now
    That's the thing, the Mercedes doesn't really rely on electronic wizardry but 3 locking diffs instead - old school tech as you say

http://www.arrowheadmb.com/blog/how-...erential-lock/
    Last edited by Alex L; 24th February 2017 at 08:52.

I agree the Merc G Wagon is a fantastic bit of kit but it's a bit old school now

You make that sound like a bad thing.

I've done the course at the LR factory in Solihull and it really makes you appreciate what LR's are capable of!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    That's the thing, the Mercedes doesn't really rely on electronic wizardry but 3 locking diffs instead - old school tech as you say

http://www.arrowheadmb.com/blog/how-...erential-lock/

This. We regularly tow heavy trailers, off-road, on snowy alps. Defenders and Range-Rovers have both disappointed but the G-Class with its three locking diffs (you decide when, not the computer) is very impressive.

Blog Entries
    If you are going to go to places where your life might depend on the reliability of your vehicle, then a mechanical system will beat an electronic box of frogs any day.

Just spotted this on Pistonheads today http://www.pistonheads.com/features/...defender/35821

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    If you are going to go to places where your life might depend on the reliability of your vehicle, then a mechanical system will beat an electronic box of frogs any day.

I can recall at least three occasions in the desert having to rescue RRovers from the sand but no discos or basic LRs.

Also one range rover on West Kirby beach - with a pickup ( almost standing at 45 degs on the pull :-)

There is only one in my book that I would trust my life with and that's the older land cruiser or the 4WD pickup.

To be fair though I never saw a Gwagon while I was there.

B

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    There is only one in my book that I would trust my life with and that's the older land cruiser or the 4WD pickup.

B
    There isn't much that can beat a well prepped 80 series Landcruiser as an expedition vehicle. The older Hilux models are pretty good too.

There is simply too much electrickery in most modern vehicles to be reliable and/or repairable in the field.

It's easy to knock the electronics (and I take on board reliability concerns) but until you experience them in extreme conditions it's hard to appreciate the sheer wizardry and black magic they create. The new course at Peckforton is awesome too.

Blog Entries
    I'm certainly not knocking the latest electronic wizardry and have experienced it first hand in both newer LRs and Landcruisers. It is just that when they show a fault, it's difficult to fix without a visit to a dealer and getting plugged into a (very expensive) diagnostic system. Not very helpful in the middle of a desert or the outback......which doesn't mean that the tech isn't impressive.

For 99.9% of owners this isn't an issue as they will rarely venture off the tarmac - a muddy field or track might be the most difficult terrain they ever experience.

Master
    Blog Entries
    One thing about the electronic wizardry is it can make us novices very much an expert off road driver (said tongue in cheek).

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    There isn't much that can beat a well prepped 80 series Landcruiser as an expedition vehicle. The older Hilux models are pretty good too.

There is simply too much electrickery in most modern vehicles to be reliable and/or repairable in the field.
    That is why I stick with the ancient old G-WAC Disco. I don't want any vehicle that I can't repair myself.

Blog Entries
    One thing about the electronic wizardry is it can make us novices very much an expert off road driver (said tongue in cheek).
    You may have said that tic but ain't that the truth - I would certainly consider myself more towards the novice end of the spectrum than expert. The new systems give you so much confidence as they do all the thinking for you and make covering even quite difficult terrain seem easy. As I said, the tech is impressive.