closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Brits

Craftsman

The Brits

What a load of shite!

I really can't remember the last time I watched this program/event but how amateurish is it?

Where to start, how about Andrew Ridgeley, looking like George Michaels dad, and who's idea was it to put Chris Martin forward to sing a tribute to George Michael, the guy sounded like a bad karaoke singer, poor George must be spinning on his anal plug! Little Mix, has there ever been a more uglier girl band? Robbie Williams receiving the 'prestigious' icon award, previous winners include, Elton John and Bowie?!?! Then there's Katy Perry trying to make a political statement.....again, this is the bint who's so smart, she married Russel Brand!

Finally if the awards mean 'so much' to the recipients, how come they can't be arsed to show up?

Rant over!!!

I never watched it, I wouldn't watch it and I agree it's a complete load of TV pap and Dermot O'Leary is a gobshite too, sorry !

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    Where to start, how about Andrew Ridgeley, looking like George Michaels dad
    Yeah, how dare he grow old. Mind you, he was hardly going to look like he did in the 80's.

Little Mix, has there ever been a more uglier girl band?
    Spice Girls?

Then there's Katy Perry trying to make a political statement
    Nothing new - Fine Young Cannibals refused their awards because of something to do with Thatcher, Chumbawumba drenched Prescott and Bowie included the Scottish independence referendum in his acceptance speech.

What a load of xxxxx!
    Ah, on that we can agree. Succinctly put, sir. Although not necessarily G&D language...
    Last edited by StackH; 23rd February 2017 at 09:24.

The wife was watching it, so I saw Chris Martin's performance, i thought it was very diappointing indeed (and I really like him/ Coldplay).

I saw reports on Facebook that the event was possibly hacked, with messages flashing on the screen - it sounds like a publicity stunt to me!

Craftsman
    Browsing through the TV Guide last night I found myself thinking "Hmm... I haven't watched the Brits in years, maybe they'll actually be putting on live music now instead of lip-synced rubbish?" Boy was I wrong.

I don't agree with the idea that Little Mix are an 'ugly' girl group, but they're certainly not talented. And if they do indeed write their own music (doubtful), then they're hypocritically pushing feminism by having lyrics about being strong women AND about faking orgasms in bed?

Coldplay... well, i'd hate to guess how much post production goes into their albums in the studio, because they're frankly rubbish live. Chris Martin can't sing, he just can't.

Ed Sheeran was... ok? I'm not adverse to his music, but it is starting to sound a bit samey.

And why on earth are One Direction STILL getting awards even after they've been long broken up? They've been broken up so long that ex member Zayn was up for one of the same awards as them?

One thing that the BBC Music Awards has going for it is the lack of ad breaks.

Oh and thanks BRITS for pushing diversity and slipping in three awards to three non-white artists (Drake, Beyonce and A Tribe Called Quest) but hey, let's not spend too long on them! Afterthought much?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by .olli. View Post
    I saw reports on Facebook that the event was possibly hacked, with messages flashing on the screen - it sounds like a publicity stunt to me!
    I had a brief moment of 'WTF' when The 1975 were playing, but apparently it was all set up - it was indeed publicity. Apparently they like to show negative comments about them and their music during their performances as a sort of 'stand up to bullying' thing.

Quote Originally Posted by doebag View Post

Oh and thanks BRITS for pushing diversity and slipping in three awards to three non-white artists (Drake, Beyonce and A Tribe Called Quest) but hey, let's not spend too long on them! Afterthought much?
    This has been a constant problem with the Brits - this year was meant to be where they (finally) started recognising Grime and appreciating it as a genre that contributes significantly. Alas nothing. Very disappointing.

What a load of shite!

I really can't remember the last time I watched this program/event but how amateurish is it?
    Well, WHY did you watch it?

AND... you don't recall Fleetwood & Fox?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRTzgZagCrc

M

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    This has been a constant problem with the Brits - this year was meant to be where they (finally) started recognising Grime and appreciating it as a genre that contributes significantly. Alas nothing. Very disappointing.
    I wonder if Skepta was supposed to perform the radio friendly version of Shut Down and then performed the explicit version as a middle finger to the Brits?

He was up for British Male Solo Artist which he was never going to get when facing David Bowie. But he was also up for British Breakthrough Act which he would have gotten (and deservedly so) had Rag N' Bone Man's first single release not been so appropriately timed - I read that the label pushed it early to get him on the radar for this year's Brit noms.

Sad - i'd say 'there's always next year' but I don't know if i'll be bothered to watch next year!

My niece was one of the boxes dancing for Katy Perry, not sure which one though.

A couple of years ago she was one of the candles for Ellie Goulding. Couldn't tell which was her then either!

Relax. There's always the Eurovision contest. Oh, hold on...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    My niece was one of the boxes dancing for Katy Perry, not sure which one though.

A couple of years ago she was one of the candles for Ellie Goulding. Couldn't tell which was her then either!
    Hopefully she wasn't the box that fell off the stage!

Blog Entries
    Chris Martin singing Different Corner was awful - he was blown into the weeds during the duet by George Michael on video and he would have sounded even better had he been there live (no pun intended). Embarrassing.

May have been better getting Martin to sing an early WHAM number?

Oh and I hate Little Mix - can't stand them.

I wonder if Skepta was supposed to perform the radio friendly version of Shut Down and then performed the explicit version as a middle finger to the Brits?

He was up for British Male Solo Artist which he was never going to get when facing David Bowie. But he was also up for British Breakthrough Act which he would have gotten (and deservedly so) had Rag N' Bone Man's first single release not been so appropriately timed - I read that the label pushed it early to get him on the radar for this year's Brit noms.

Sad - i'd say 'there's always next year' but I don't know if i'll be bothered to watch next year!
    I think Skepta or Stormzy would have been worthy winners. Having said that Rag N Bone Man is great - I met the chap last yr after a small gig here in NL and genuinely a nice fella. The only thing which annoys me is how obvious he's being pushed to be 'big'. A bit too forced.

Ha, good point! Though I think it was a male dancer, so she maybe ok ;)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Well, WHY did you watch it?

AND... you don't recall Fleetwood & Fox?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRTzgZagCrc

M

I watched it because and I'm sure I'm not in a minority here, I don't have the authority to switch channels in the household when she is in the room.

Besides, I were quite happy fawning over Emma Willis.

Craftsman
    Oh and can I just say, i'm fed up with everybody bumming Adele about how shes such a 'great British talent' except any time she's given a British award (be it Brit, or BBC Music or w.e.) she never seems to be available in person to accept it!

Master
    It's an award show with showbiz people giving showbiz people awards. It's hardly meant to be entertainment just fodder for people who crave seeing a famous 'pop' person/s. best thing is not to watch it.

I watched it because and I'm sure I'm not in a minority here, I don't have the authority to switch channels in the household when she is in the room.

Besides, I were quite happy fawning over Emma Willis.
    Ah, the truth will out!

M

I missed it this year because I am not in the UK. I have been once and it was fun, but it's a mixture of industry jolly and sales promotion, and they are always a bit of a cringe if you are an observer from the outside. Half the fun is in the power plays and bragging rights between the labels and the other half is at the after parties. I feel sorry for the some of the artists because it's huge for them and they put their all into it, the newer ones anyway, let alone if they win an award, but it's not really for them.

As for Chris Martin singing A Different Corner, it sounds like a nightmare to me. But as he is probably launching a solo career, and his record label is linked to George Michael's publishing company, maybe there is some logic to it.

Harsh to write off a group of young women working as hard as they can, with a bit of success, as 'ugly'. Fair play to them I say, even if I wouldn't buy their stuff.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I saw bits and pieces in between doing stuff.

As expected,the presenting was cheesy (although I agree the sight of Emma Willis helps). I saw the 1975 performance....the lead singer was crap to say the least and is obviously full of opinionated rubbish. And that nonsense with all the 'disparaging' comments flashed up whilst performing.pfah.
    I flicked on to see the ultra boring Coldplay being...well....boring.Chris Martin is a good advert for studio recording.
    I also flicked on when Simon Cowell ,and someone who looked like Scherzinger after being thoroughly electrocuted,were presenting that nonsense award to a band who have done nothing for well over a year.
    Rubbish.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Last time I enjoyed the Brits was prob in 1995, didn't bother last night and prob never again!

Williams up there with Bowie says it all!

What a load of shite!

Little Mix, has there ever been a more uglier girl band?
    It was terrible and Chris Martin was truly awful. However your comment about Little Mix is totally out of order, I'm certainly not raising my kids to comment on or judge people on their looks. Bad form.

I didn't watch, can't remember the last time anyone decent was on it.

Saw a precis on the news today and it looked pony, but what can you expect when the pinnacle is stuff like Little Mix.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    However your comment about Little Mix is totally out of order, I'm certainly not raising my kids to comment on or judge people on their looks. Bad form.

When was the last time any teenager's especially girl's professed their undying love for a pop idol, based on their singing/music ability?

Well given that old farts like us aren't supposed to like whatever the current pop music is, I'd say it's alive and well and doing its job very well.

Also, never forget that The Brits are Britannia Music, that awful mail order outfit, for whom 'best' means 'best selling'.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Also, never forget that The Brits are Britannia Music, that awful mail order outfit, for whom 'best' means 'best selling'.
    That awful mail order outfit went bust. The Brits is part of the Brit Trust, helping young people get into music and The Brit School of performing arts which was attended by Adele and Amy Winehouse.

Master
    Stone me to death if you like but I quite enjoyed it. Ed Sheeran was excellent, and I'm not usually a fan.

Katy Perry can do one - tone deaf and not an interesting thing to say, and Chris Martin was an embarrasment with his George Michael tribute, but otherwise I thought it was good fun.

What's the negativity towards Robbie Williams? Again, his music isn't my cuppa but is the consummate entertainer, he's been turning out songs for a quarter of a century now and while most of it is generic pop stuff he does seem to experiment with genres and write some fairly interesting lyrics. More BRIT awards than any other artist and more albums sold than any other British solo artist (living or dead). Is it the Take That link that people can't let go of? Give it 20 or so years (or maybe after he pops his clogs) and he'll be revered in the same way George Michael and Bowie are now.

Little Mix aren't ugly, they just have those horrible "duck pout" faces (that kids think look "sexy and smouldering", but really look like duck pouts), and an inch of make-up. Probably not their fault, they seem like a fun bunch. I presume it's down to their styling team - I sincerely doubt they have the slightest say in what they look like.

And Skepta as "breakthrough artist"? Seriously? I was watching him a decade or so ago supporting The Streets with KANO. He's been about longer than dust.

I've not seen the Brits for a few years. It was decent, I could take it or leave it it, but I wasn't raging mad like some of the posters on here - most TV's come with a little portable box with buttons on...when something comes on my telly that I don't like, I prod the buttons until something better turns up...

Talking of this, what's the story behind the less-than-complimentary captions that kept appearing when one of the acts were onscreen last night? SWMBO asked me if it was some form of hacking, but given the lack of comment here I'd guess not?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Talking of this, what's the story behind the less-than-complimentary captions that kept appearing when one of the acts were onscreen last night? SWMBO asked me if it was some form of hacking, but given the lack of comment here I'd guess not?

R
    My post at #6 - it's an anti-bullying thing apparently?

Blog Entries
    I knew it was meant to be and not a hack, however IMHO it didn't work. When you're being self-deprecating in such a blatant and with specific and focused comments, it has the negative effect IMHO - IYKWIM. They might as well have been boasting......

I won't read from post #1 but let me guess - middle aged men find it load of s***e?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    I knew it was meant to be and not a hack, however IMHO it didn't work. When you're being self-deprecating in such a blatant and with specific and focused comments, it has the negative effect IMHO - IYKWIM. They might as well have been boasting......
    The crazy part was when the lead singer of the 1975 accepted their award and said something about not staying in lane and making the most of any opportunity you have to use the stage to talk about social issues... and then WALKED OFF!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I won't read from post #1 but let me guess - middle aged men find it load of s***e?
    In one - what a shocker eh?

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Stone me to death if you like but I quite enjoyed it...

M

Ah, thanks. If it was an anti-bullying message then it was lost on us.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

My highlight was spotting Ed Sheeran's PP

When was the last time any teenager's especially girl's professed their undying love for a pop idol, based on their singing/music ability?
    Ed Sheeran is very popular with teenage girls and look at him !

Yeah but we're adults.

I can't think why there's even a thread about this nonsense on the forum. Shame on you.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Yeah but we're adults.

You wouldn't think it reading some of the posts on here.

Grand Master
    Reform the KLF and issue them live ammunition!

p.s, didn't watch it, but guessing it's like any other award thing, long and drawn out with little actual good stuff, that's just the nature of award shows.

You wouldn't think it reading some of the posts on here.
    Ha ha, true, but we are and we have to set the standards for our yoofs.

I can confirm that she wasnt

Deleted
    Last edited by Analogue; 11th September 2017 at 03:03.