closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My small collection of old Omegas

Master

My small collection of old Omegas

screen capture windows

Hi everyone,

I first found this forum when I was looking into getting a nice watch for my wedding a couple of years ago. The bug bit, and I ended up hanging around and trying to teach myself a bit about watches. I quickly realised a couple of things - firstly the thought of wandering around with a £10k piece of metal on my wrist probably wasn't for me, and secondly those bits of metal are sometimes so enormous I doubted I'd be able to lift my arm anyway. So, I ended up slowly falling for older watches.

Here is my little Omega story. Paul Walker helped me out initially, and ended up selling me the little 9ct gold Geneve. It's difficult to believe it's four decades old - it's almost perfect, with an unblemished dial and keeps perfect time. I wore this on my wedding day, and will never part with it. I then picked up the Speedmaster reduced from Daney here (although by the sounds of it she's been owned my almost everyone here at one time or another). It's a bit battered and bruised, with plenty of little scratches and dinks, and had to be sent back to Omega under warranty because of very patchy timekeeping initially (see http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-my-experience), but beyond that I've thoroughly enjoyed owning it. The third one I picked up was the blue dialled Geneve from the father of a good friend of mine. It wasn't working, so off it went to Brendan who got it going again. It is 42 years old and completely original, but unfortunately the dial has been scratched by a careless watchmaker at some point in the past. Finally, I received Ian's 52 year old Seamaster yesterday. Again, completely original and running strong thanks to a recent service from Brendan.

In total, I've spent approximately two grand on these four watches and they bring me much pleasure. I think (for me) part of that pleasure is the fact they have survived a few decades, and seen a bit of life. The only one of the four I can see myself letting go is the blue dial, and then only to the original owner if he changes his mind and wants it back.

So if you've made it to the end of this thanks for reading. I've been around here for two years now and have really enjoyed the forum and learning a bit more about watches.
    Last edited by Peck; 22nd February 2017 at 11:41.

Journeyman
    Really nice collection with some great sentiment attached to it. The vintage Speedy still looks as up to date as a new one! To my ignorant eyes anyway.

Craftsman
    Great collection. Just ratifies my need to add a vintage omega to my small collection. They are timeless class.

Master
    A lovely collection. It's inspired me to dig mine out.

Just added a vintage Seamaster to my collection a few weeks ago and haven't worn any of my other watches since.

Ryan

Master
    Lovely background story and a lovely collection. Like NOODLES25, I think I might dig my old Omega out for an airing tomorrow as well.

These watches are pure class and, in fact, I much prefer them to most modern Omegas.

Thanks for showing.

Regards

Gary

Master
    Here's one of mine, dating from the first world war era:-

Mike

Journeyman
    Lovely collection you have there. Hoping to add a Speedy to my collection too.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Journeyman

omega watches

loverly collection, i`ve a few myself ,nothing like the chrono.
    some are still awaiting parts ,ive a dial on its way from Australia at the moment.
    i`m wearing a stainless steel cased cal 266 at the moment

Lovely group with interesting background to each.

Thats a great collection mine says hi

A great little collection and great stories, I love the fact you wore the Geneve on your wedding day!
    A keeper, for sure. Thanks for posting.

Cheers Martin