closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Repairing a modern Pulsar watch – hour hand not moving

Repairing a modern Pulsar watch – hour hand not moving

This is my cheap and not so cheerful daily wear watch. Less than a year old, and already on its second battery change. When setting the time after changing the battery, I noticed that the golden surround around the date window was sitting proud of the window opening and that the minutes and hour hands were catching on it.

After finding a tutorial to remove the stem and crown, I was able to pop the mechanism out and to gently push the golden surround back in its window. The minutes hand is working normally now, but the hour hand does not move. The seconds hand is working.

Instead of buying a new watch to replace the pulsar, I’ve signed up to the forum for advice and will spend the money getting the Tissot serviced. (see my other thread)

As for the pulsar, I will try to fix it myself – As its movement seems to be quite common, it should be a good one to practice on for my first try at anything more involved than changing a battery or a strap.

What should I do next?

Thank you for the advice,

Remi

Hello again Remi :).

First I have to say, to be honest, I would have taken the watch back to the shop to be repaired under guarantee if it was less than a year old. But credit to you for figuring out how to fix it.

I am not a watch expert but have managed to fix a much older quartz watch by trial and error (funnily enough a Tissot).

My only guess to try would be to see if the hour hand has come loose from its pinion. If the rest of the mechanism is working then maybe the movement is OK. If you wind the crown as if setting the time, all the way round 24 hours, does the date move? If so, maybe the movement is OK.

Good luck if you have to change the movement. If you do, you will have to remove the hands anyway so worth checking that the hour hand isn't loose.

Craftsman
    I would remove the hand ands dial myself to see why this is happening.

Without doing this I would imagine the problem is the hour wheel lifting off the minute wheel so pushing gently on the hour hand boss would reset it. It may not reset it to the correct place though and the hands would be out of alignment and date change would be off.

So after all that hands off and movement off to check. Get a presto style hand remover off eBay if you don't want to buy a Bergeon one.

Hello Alfat33, thank you for your answer.

The watch was bought online, heavily reduced. I would rather enjoy taking it apart and learn from it than start another paperwork battle with a faceless large organisation.

The date moves as expected when setting it - I should have mentioned that in my post.

Right, I need to learn about loose hands next.

Thanks!

Hello me32dc,

I've found the presto hand puller on ebay, and payday is tomorrow :)

I guess I need to find some online tutorials next, to keep me busy until the hand puller arrives.

Thank you for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by remifrommontpellier View Post
    I would rather enjoy taking it apart and learn from it than start another paperwork battle with a faceless large organisation.
    Makes sense, good luck.