closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boiling water Taps

Suffice to say, if even a drop spilled onto your bare todger, you'd be thru the roof like a Polaris missile so wise man say "never brew up in the buff, never" !

Grand Master
    It's not tea unless it has bits floating in it! (Hull is in Yorkshire and has pretty much the hardest water on earth...you get used to it!)

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Agree with the tea comments, soft water is essential for a good pot of tea. If you live in a hard water area it's essential to filter the water to get the calcium salts out ........thankfully living in Yorkshire this isn't a problem .

When I travel overseas I don't even try to make tea; Bottled water often has a high mineral content so it doesn't work for me.

It's essential to make tea with freshly boiled water that's literally at boiling point.......if it's not boiling the tea won't taste the same. Thst fact alone kills the boiling water tap for me, it may be 90degrees but that's not boiling and it does make a difference!

Paul
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    See link for:
    Does a hot water dispenser actually boil the water?

A hot water dispenser does actually boil water, but we have found that by the time it's dispensed into the cup it's no longer at boiling point.

Water dispensed into a room-temperature mug from a hot water dispenser is 91°C. We repeated the same scenario with a freshly boiled kettle and the temperature of the water was 96°C once it was poured into the mug.

In a hot water dispenser, pipes connect the heating chamber to the dispensing nozzle. Heat can be lost between boiling and travelling through these pipes, so by the time the water has dispensed it has cooled by a few degrees.
    You are confusing hot water dispensers (typically costing under £80) with hot water taps (which probably cost £1000+). A decent one (like Quooker) provides water at 110°C which is boiling at 100°C as it leaves the tap (so probably hotter than a kettle).

Grand Master
    Thst's even worse! Hot water under pressure at 110 deg............not in my kitchen. Had enough of pressure reactors when I worked with the damned things.

I guess they're OK if installed correctly and made from the right materials, but to me it's like solving a problem that doesn't exist. My kettle will boil enough water for a mug of tea in 45 seconds, that'll do for me.

Paul

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    It's not tea unless it has bits floating in it! (Hull is in Yorkshire and has pretty much the hardest water on earth...you get used to it!)
    Jon, you're not supposed to sup seawater.......maybe it's a local delicacy!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    The Drinking Water Inspectorate publish a map showing water hardness in E&W, it is also linked from their leaflet.

Your local water company publish water quality assessments online that will more closely identify the source of your tap water.

Craftsman
    The Quooker is very good. The design means you can't dispense boiling water by accident, as it has a separate action from the hot/cold tap, needing to double tap and turn a separate bit on the tap from the normal dispenser.

When the boiling water comes out it fizzes and splutters (best way I can describe it) so it sounds like it's boiling, and really tells you not to stick your hand under it!

I agree it's an unnecessary expense when you can have a kettle instead, but like an expensive watch it may be unnecessary, but I still think mines cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    You are confusing hot water dispensers (typically costing under £80) with hot water taps (which probably cost £1000+). A decent one (like Quooker) provides water at 110°C which is boiling at 100°C as it leaves the tap (so probably hotter than a kettle).

... image...
    You're right...I was. My apologies.

In my defence, the term 'boiling water tap' is applied to both variants on the net.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    You're right...I was. My apologies.

In my defence, the term 'boiling water tap' is applied to both variants on the net.
    Fair enough!

I haven't got one myself but can't understand the antipathy towards them, especially the argument that they are just unnecessary. The same could be said of things like lights that can be controlled by phone/voice but they seem quite popular on TZ!

Blog Entries
    We have them at work. Best invention ever.

I've got one. It's on the max setting and makes tea ok.

It's also great for soaking dirty dishes and for cooking quickly.

Didn't really want it but it was in the house when we moved in. When the tap washers broke (not replaceable) we missed it and paid up for the replacement. It very occasionally drips at full heat which means that limescale inside is stopping the correct expansion within the boiler so that will need replaced in a year or so too.

Budget about an additional £50 a year if my experience is anything to go by.

We have one of these http://www.argos.co.uk/product/2263034, works well, does need descaling once a month, you can chose the water temperature. We opted for this after the hot water tap in the office kept breaking and thought it was safer with kids too.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    I would avoid buying one having arranged for few to be fitted in new builds.

Expensive to maintain and can be temperamental at times, can make tea taste a little strange too.

Save your money and put it towards a watch.

B

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    Quote Originally Posted by bomberman View Post
    I would avoid buying one having arranged for few to be fitted in new builds.

Expensive to maintain and can be temperamental at times, can make tea taste a little strange too.

Save your money and put it towards a watch.

If you do buy one, make sure you put a filter on the water supply.

B

Craftsman
    Thanks all, I'm defiantly swaying towards a regular tap

But consider the water softener if you have hard water. I wouldn't hesitate to have a new one immediately if it failed (which is quite unlikely)
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by J3w3ll3r View Post
    Thanks all, I'm defiantly swaying towards a regular tap
    That's the spirit!

Master
    I love this conversation. This is what community is all about.

We have "nearly hot" taps at work which are simply not hot enough

Which is why I wouldn't have one.

Clearly there are better options which may or not be better

Let the arguments continue

:-)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Master
    I invested in one when i built my current house, over 3 years or so use dwindled so we switched it off, tangible reduction in the elecky bill. In the 5 years since we haven't missed it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Thst's even worse! Hot water under pressure at 110 deg............not in my kitchen. Had enough of pressure reactors when I worked with the damned things.

I guess they're OK if installed correctly and made from the right materials, but to me it's like solving a problem that doesn't exist. My kettle will boil enough water for a mug of tea in 45 seconds, that'll do for me.

Paul
    We've got one of these, it has different temp. settings and boils water very quickly, I don't see the need for anything else....

http://www.johnlewis.com/kitchenaid-...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Craftsman
    Where I used to work we sold loads of quooker taps. I think they fall into the same category as any other luxury item. Great quality, poor value for money, essentially its a large vacuum flask with an element. As has been said before it heats above 100degrees under pressure and the water boils as it leaves the nozzle at normal atmospheric pressure.

I'm pretty sure quooker have the patent on this system. It's not easy to accidentally dispense boiling water because of the operation needed to use it. They also do a scale filter that pretty much makes it service free and quooker will sell you a service kit that you can use at home should you need to service it.

Where I work now we sell AEG ones which in my mind are inferior in every way, insinkerator are just useless and don't reach tea making temperature.

With all that in mind I use a one cup kettle that I brought from Amazon and wouldn't go back to a normal kettle purely from an economic point of view even without the safety issue of not moving around a kettle full of boiling water.

The only exception I can think of would be if you had an island as quooker do a model that will dispense normal, boiling and hot (65deg c) which means you only have to run a cold supply to the island.

If you can afford it buy a quooker. If you can't don't bother even then it depends on how much you value that little bit of worktop.
    And whether you mind filling up the unit under your sink with canisters and manifolds.

Hth

Martyn

Craftsman
    Thanks for all your input

It was never about saving money or making tea more the convenience, 1 less thing on the work top and almost future proofing the kitchen

However I have read much here and elsewhere and decided on a plain simple high quality tap and kettle

Thanks again

Stephen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Posts stating "I/work had one and it was always breaking down" are rather pointless without naming the brand. Rather like saying my car was always breaking down, don't buy one.