closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boiling water Taps

Craftsman

Boiling water Taps

Morning all

Just embarking on a new kitchen and was thinking of a Boiling water tap, prob one that does chilled water as well

Does anyone have any experience of these, some pictures and kitchens I see have 1 main tap only others seem to have the main tap plus a smaller Boiling water tap, it was my intention to just have 1 tap

Been looking at the the Vellamo instant hot and cold tap with filter

This is all a little weird as I don't don't drink hot drinks although everyone else does but it in my mind I think all new modern kitchens should have one, a bit like ordering a car with Sat Nav, most decent cars should have it IMO regardless of the fact I hardly ever use it

Any thoughts appreciated

Cheers

Stephen

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I don't see the appeal, spend money on electric to continually heat water JUST in case you want a cuppa??!!!

just boil the bloody kettle once.

mike

Possibly ok for coffee but AFAIK the water is just below boiling so they would not make good tea. I'd stick with the kettle.

We're speccing a kitchen at the moment and haven't considered one though we drink much more coffee (from a bean to cup machine) than tea.
    Other than that I'm not sure when we'd need instant hot water e.g. if I'm making a pasta sauce I've got loads of time to flick the kettle on for water for the pasta.
    Unless anyone tells me differently they're a fad that will require maintenance in a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Unless anyone tells me differently they're a fad that will require maintenance in a couple of years.
    Agree with that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Possibly ok for coffee but AFAIK the water is just below boiling so they would not make good tea. I'd stick with the kettle.
    Why do you say that?

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    There is one these new fangled taps where I work and newly installed in a new building. It has not worked for 6 months and has been replaced by a supermarket kettle. Despite an army of men visiting, no one can fix it.

Master
    I had a new kitchen put in late last year and got one of these:

http://www.wrenkitchens.com/insinker...d-steel/550848

It was really expensive and has already gone wrong twice so I am not sure that I would bother if I had my time again. It is quite cool having boiling water on tap and filetred water but more of a gadget if I am being honest. As others have said I would imagine it will need fairly regular maintenance so after the warranty has run out I will probably have it replaced (the tank takes up a lot of room in the cupboard below as well which is a pain!)

Even dedicated boiling water dispensers require significant maintenance.
    In your case it will only be convenient if you hardly use it.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

If you live in a hard water area I would not bother
    They fur up in no time and are a pain to descale. To prevent this you would need to install a water softener, which is another thing to maintain
    Even if you live in a soft water area I would advise against as they need a fair bit of maintenance anyway. (Filters replacing, Coils burning out etc)
    I PM corporate fit outs for a living and most we have fitted have eventually been taken out as they are more trouble than they are worth.

John

Some bright spark decided to install one in our work office kitchen, as we were killing kettles at a rate of one a month.
    Not the best idea they've ever had
    1) It does not boil the water, only heats it to 85deg or so, so no good for tea
    2) Our water supply is apparently from a bore hole, potentially not safe to drink unless boiled, so we've been told not to use it, we now have a new decent quality kettle, instead of cheapo £5 jobs
    3) The little spindly handle on the tap (it only has 1 that turns tap on and selects between hot and cold) snapped off after a month.

That was £2k well spent by our 'continuous improvement manager'

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Why do you say that?
    You're obviously not a tea drinker. Tea needs boiling water poured onto the leaves to release the full flavour.

Blog Entries
    I drink instant coffee and have one of these
    http://www.breville.co.uk/breakfast/...er-dispensers/

for tea we use the kettle you need boiling water and i fill the Breville with filtered water from the Brita in all honesty to spend a couple of K for a "novelty" is a nice indulgence if you can afford it and if you live in a hard water area it's better spent in a water softener.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    I don't see the appeal, spend money on electric to continually heat water JUST in case you want a cuppa??!!!

mike
    A friend of mine has a fairly high end joinery company and from time to time they are asked to fit these. A couple of years ago he mentioned that a good one and I mean the one's that actually delivers "boiling water" are very expensive i.e over a grand.

Master
    One of the companies I work for has one in their (very plush) kitchen.

It's constantly failing, and engineers are in and out of the place replacing bits on a monthly basis. It's a bit like Trigger's broom now, but a whole lot more expensive.

Seriously, just buy a kettle

Craftsman
    I've had a quooker tap for the last 9 months. It gets a lot of use for coffee and boiling water for cooking. Briefly stopped working once but just hit the reset button on the cylinder and it fired right back up.

I think its fantastic, and no-one has ever complained about the tea I make with it either!

Quote Originally Posted by nellyh View Post
    I think its fantastic, and no-one has ever complained about the tea I make with it either!
    Your friends are being polite. I bet you inflict a dunked-Typoo-bag mug of warm liquid on them.

Ive had a boiling water tap at home for over 5 yrs - never had a problem and no maintenace required so far - its a Quooker one

Master
    You're obviously not a tea drinker. Tea needs boiling water poured onto the leaves to release the full flavour.
    Not quite ;) And fyi I have worked for a fine tea company so am well versed in infusion temperatures and times for various types of tea. Boiling water is frowned upon, burns the leaves, and you reduce the dissolved oxygen level in the water. Although if wer're talking a PG tips teabag, then it doesn't matter what you do to it, it'll still be naff.

But you are correct, I'm not a tea drinker. Nasty stuff.

mike
    According to the Quooker website, standby usage costs just 3p/day. Kettles must waste far more than that.

It is boiling: -

"When the water flows out of the boiling-water tap, the water cools from 110˚C to 100˚C and boils. Limescale conversion ensures that there is no film on the tea, for instance."
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 21st February 2017 at 12:33.

Blog Entries
    Another vote for a straightforward decent kettle!

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Not quite ;) And fyi I have worked for a fine tea company so am well versed in infusion temperatures and times for various types of tea. Boiling water is frowned upon, burns the leaves, and you reduce the dissolved oxygen level in the water.
    Black tea and herbal teas are best brewed at full boil temperature.

As for dissolved oxygen in the water, the wisdom holds that dissolved oxygen is significantly reduced if you boil it twice, giving a metallic taste to the tea, hence the advice to always boil freshly drawn water. However, the science refutes this theory as dissolved oxygen levels remain the same before and after boiling, so everyone is just wasting water and energy by emptying half-full kettles, refilling and re-boiling.

What were you doing at the tea company – stacking shelves?

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    However, the science refutes this theory as dissolved oxygen levels remain the same before and after boiling, so everyone is just wasting water and energy by emptying half-full kettles, refilling and re-boiling.
    This is simply not true, boiling removes dissolved oxygen (and other gases). The solubility of oxygen in boiling water is zero.

Master
    We've had one for circa 9months, so here's a couple of things.

1). We love it & use it a lot.

2). Easily hot enough for tea, according to the wife & she is a total tea snob.

3). Running costs are broadly similar.

4). Its our only kitchen tap & this is a mistake, which I plan to rectify. How do you wash your hands when your only options are cold/boiling?

5). Ours has just broke down in that it constantly boils over. So we've turned it off & called service support & setup an appointment for an engineer to visit easily enough.
    Last edited by paulpsz008; 21st February 2017 at 16:25.

Got one in the office - handy if you're in a rush, but if you can't spare 2 minutes for your kettle to boil at home, you need to assess more than the colour of your units! I think they can be quite costly for a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    This is simply not true, boiling removes dissolved oxygen (and other gases). The solubility of oxygen in boiling water is zero.
    True, I meant more that in the case of a kettle boiling and being turned off at the point of the boil, the change in DO is tiny. The levels of DO in the water are negligible in the first place and are quickly replaced as the 'power' is cut and the water cools.

I'm basically saying that the theory of dissolved oxygen, or lack of, affecting the taste of tea is a myth with no scientific proof.

Had one for a couple of years.

Had no problems with it, it's a Quooker. Not a big tea drinker so not too bothered about that. Just find it miles more convenient and it takes away having another bit of clutter on the work top as no kettle.

Malc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    were they originally designed for an industrial/commercial setting?

I use one on a regular basis at a work place I visit. Tea tastes horrible so I suspect that its not hot enough.

On the other hand a friend of mine has one and the tea made with this is fine. He said that it was an expensive.

Personally I will stick to cheap and disposable kettles from Amazon.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, but are the users really telling me it's as cheap to run daily as a kettle?, let's say for 3 cuppa a day?

Tea needs boiling water poured onto the leaves to release the full flavour.
    Not quite. Tea needs water at a certain temperature depending on the leaves to release the full flavour. Water boils at 93°C here which isn't great for herbals but fine for oolong and okay for black teas. We use a temperature controlled kettle for setting the lower temperature for steeping green teas.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Black tea and herbal teas are best brewed at full boil temperature.
    I worked for a tea company and it's at least their guidance to NOT use boiled water. From the Twinings website:

"Once your kettle is boiled with fresh water you need to leave it for a few minutes to cool down.

Some of you may read this and think 'but I love my tea piping hot?' Leaving it for a few minutes will still produce a very hot cup of tea and will give you better results.

Our top tip is that you should never pour boiling water over a tea bag or loose tea. The reason for this is because the boiling water will burn the tea, it scalds it and therefore, the tea doesn't release all of its maximum flavours."

It says a "few minutes" but surely that would make the tea lukewarm?

Anyway, we have one of those zip things at work and it's a bit of a hassle. Kettle FTW

Journeyman
    I thought tea-heads insist that you don't boil tea?

we have a ZIP tap at work, boiling (well 95 deg) and chilled filtered water. can be flaky from time to time. needs regular filter changes, but i suspect that is more to do with our water supply and the level of use.

its not small, it takes up the better part of a standard 1800 under sink unit.

its not cheap.

steve

Master
    Sorry, but are the users really telling me it's as cheap to run daily as a kettle?, let's say for 3 cuppa a day?
    My electricity bill has stayed reasonably constant throughout, however, there have been other living changes throughout the which may also affect.
    Generally, the wife is drinking more tea, I'm having less toast, new washing machine, etc...

Blog Entries
    We had one fitted just before Christmas in our office and nearly everyone took a scalding. Human habit to start a tap running and put your hand under it.

We are use to it now but not the same as water out of a kettle

Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by amalgam786 View Post
    Ive had a boiling water tap at home for over 5 yrs - never had a problem and no maintenace required so far - its a Quooker one
    Me too, a Quooker for 5 years, we are in a hard water area and only maintenace remove the nozzle every now and then to descale it.

Not noticed any change in electricty consumption, lot of unused water gets boiled in a kettle.

On the tea brewing temperature question, I don't make green tea at home. I either use a blended breakfast type tea or a pure Assam, always use a teapot and at least half the time use loose leaf tea - when I resort to bags it is only better quality ones. The advice here (http://www.therighttea.com/assam-tea.html) is

Bring water to boiling point, you may even let it cool a bit down to 95ºC (203ºF). As these are black tea leaves there is a lower risk of ruining the tea by using boiling water than with other types of tea.
    I'll stick with the way I've always done it.

Grand Master

mike
    +1....and I have a concern that a boiling water tap is an accident waiting to happen. Reduce the risk of accident to zero by eliminating the hazard.....don't have one.

It's also something else to go wrong a few years down the line. We get sucked into spending a lot on kitchens with everything built in, a few years later the nice shiny built-in items fail and they're costly to replace.

There's a good case for keeping things simple sometimes.

Paul

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by amalgam786 View Post
    We have an Insinkerator one and it's been absolutely fine. Tea, coffee, pasta, anything that requires boiling water really .

Journeyman
    On the tea brewing temperature question, I don't make green tea at home. I either use a blended breakfast type tea or a pure Assam, always use a teapot and at least half the time use loose leaf tea - when I resort to bags it is only better quality ones. The advice here (http://www.therighttea.com/assam-tea.html) is

I'll stick with the way I've always done it.
    Do you have any recommendations for decent black tea that isn't out of a bag?

Quote Originally Posted by Samjowen View Post
    Until draughtsman gets back to you, take your pick: Drury black teas. I'm lucky enough to be able to drop in and buy whatever I need every other month. You'll find some more suggestions here: Loose Leaf Tea.

Sorry for the thread diversion, OP.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Until draughtsman gets back to you, take your pick: Drury black teas. I'm lucky enough to be able to drop in and buy whatever I need every other month. You'll find some more suggestions here: Loose Leaf Tea.

Sorry for the thread diversion, OP.
    Thanks for the swift reply mystery poster! :) I'll be sure to take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Samjowen View Post
    Lots. Bearing in mind I spend a fair bit of time in places where the water is horrible, there is a place in Malta where I get a "Valletta Blend" that makes the best cup of tea with the local water. I keep some in London tooo as London water is horrid (in Malta I only use bottled water and in London I use tap water after it has been through a Brita jug).

In other parts of Britain where the water is nicer like Yorkshire and the Isle of Man Betty's (as in Betty's Tea Rooms as frequented by Yorkshire ladies of a certain age) is pretty good but the best I've found is Jeeves & Jericho Assam.

Master
    We have one at work. It's packed up a couple of times. It wouldn't bother.

Grand Master
    Agree with the tea comments, soft water is essential for a good pot of tea. If you live in a hard water area it's essential to filter the water to get the calcium salts out ........thankfully living in Yorkshire this isn't a problem .

When I travel overseas I don't even try to make tea; Bottled water often has a high mineral content so it doesn't work for me.

It's essential to make tea with freshly boiled water that's literally at boiling point.......if it's not boiling the tea won't taste the same. Thst fact alone kills the boiling water tap for me, it may be 90degrees but that's not boiling and it does make a difference!

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 21st February 2017 at 20:19.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Agree with the tea comments, soft water is essential for a good pot of tea. If you live in a hard water area it's essential to filter the water to get the calcium salts out ........thankfully living in Yorkshire this isn't a problem .

When I travel overseas I don't even try to make tea; Bottled water often has a high mineral content so it doesn't work for me.

It's essential to make tea with freshly boiled water that's literally at boiling point.......if it's not boiling the tea won't taste the same. Thst fact alone kills the boiling water tap for me, it may be 90degrees but that's not boiling and it does make a difference!

Paul
    It's not 90 degrees, it's 100 so no difference.

Craftsman
    Thanks for all your replies, I'm still on the fence

Sounds as though it will create a liquid that is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    It's not 90 degrees, it's 100 so no difference.
    See link for:

Does a hot water dispenser actually boil the water?

A hot water dispenser does actually boil water, but we have found that by the time it's dispensed into the cup it's no longer at boiling point.

Water dispensed into a room-temperature mug from a hot water dispenser is 91°C. We repeated the same scenario with a freshly boiled kettle and the temperature of the water was 96°C once it was poured into the mug.

In a hot water dispenser, pipes connect the heating chamber to the dispensing nozzle. Heat can be lost between boiling and travelling through these pipes, so by the time the water has dispensed it has cooled by a few degrees.