closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Does amyone else find the Patek Philippe 'sports' watches really ugly?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    If we must categorise (which is a moot point in itself), then this sounds right.
    I think we should categorise in this case as it comes up once a week. In fact, I think we should have a sticky saying 'sports watch means casual watch, like sports jacket, they are not for playing sport!'

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren View Post
    Personally never liked the 'lug hole' design of the Nautilus range, never floated my boat.

The Ellipse, on the other hand, is an extremely elegant dress-watch.
    At least they have retained lug holes, forsaken by many manufacturers, sad to say.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I think we should categorise in this case as it comes up once a week. In fact, I think we should have a sticky saying 'sports watch means casual watch, they are not for playing sport!'
    I think I shall categorise this as a.......... yes, watch. Wear it as you please.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    At least they have retained lug holes, forsaken by many manufacturers, sad to say.
    Apologies, I meant 'Port Hole' design....

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren View Post
    Apologies, I meant 'Port Hole' design....
    😂

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I think they'd be better described as casual watches tbh.
    Riviera lifestyle: playing by the seaside by day, relaxing in a restaurant by night, one watch to cover it all

^^^ Yes that gold and diamond monstrosity looks great with a wet suit doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    ^^^ Yes that gold and diamond monstrosity looks great with a wet suit doesn't it?
    Its not looking much better with the jacket....

Unhappy Is that a real Patek advert?

If so, how cringe-worthy!! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Riviera lifestyle: playing by the seaside by day, relaxing in a restaurant by night, one watch to cover it all

Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    If so, how cringe-worthy!! :)
    Really? Why more so than any other brand advertising?

Chip, much?

Probably the people who do wear them as a "sports watch" (shudder) don't frequent fora like this and chuck them on the bedside table when they change to a dressy watch for an evening ashore from the yacht.
    F.T.F.A.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Really? Why more so than any other brand advertising?

Chip, much?
    Its advertising that is "of the era".
    As is this, which as you can see shares a very similar theme.

I think chip perhaps isn't too far away from the root of the issue.

Advertising gets horribly dated very quickly, doesn't it? What's interesting, comparing that advert with the theme they've been using for a while, is that the object of perceived aspirations has changed: loafing around by the seaside no longer has any social cachet, every skilled trader who's worked hard can do that. The current Patek advertising is puts the desire for upward social mobility right in the centre, with the various contexts used merely peripheral to the idea that owning a Patek marks you as having moved you into a preppy, pseudo-Landed Gentry caste.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Probably the people who do wear them as a "sports watch" (shudder) don't frequent fora like this and chuck them on the bedside table when they change to a dressy watch for an evening ashore from the yacht.
    Hmm I do wear both the Aquanaut and Nautilus as sports watches to go swimming, snorkelling, paddle boarding etc in fact they are both very good as a general purpose holiday watch.
    The Aquanaut in particular works very well in tropical climates.
    As others have commented photos do not bring out their full qualities and in particular how their multi-faceted metal surfaces in different finishes catch the light with movement.
    However, these features are also a drawback as they do attract scratches and scuffs easily much more than say a Rolex would.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Advertising gets horribly dated very quickly, doesn't it? What's interesting, comparing that advert with the theme they've been using for a while, is that the object of perceived aspirations has changed: loafing around by the seaside no longer has any social cachet, every skilled trader who's worked hard can do that. The current Patek advertising is puts the desire for upward social mobility right in the centre, with the various contexts used merely peripheral to the idea that owning a Patek marks you as having moved you into a preppy, pseudo-Landed Gentry caste.
    Yeah, I was watching greatest British cars of all time on TV yesterday and the E-type and others were featured and all you were hearing was how these can get you girls, girls, girls! Imagine blatantly sexist gold-digger adverts like that now, would be so cringe.

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    Hmm I do wear both the Aquanaut and Nautilus as sports watches to go swimming, snorkelling, paddle boarding etc in fact they are both very good as a general purpose holiday watch.
    Doesn't wearing both at the same time limit your sportiness?

On topic: ugly? No.

I'm a huge fan of late 60's culture, think of the space station scene in 2001 and the clothes and styling.

I think the PP Nautilus is stunning and if I had a five figure sum to spare, I would buy one. Unfortunately I don't and will never likely have that disposable income to flash, let alone the security required, so I'm quite content with a homage. It's not that I want a copy of a PP or to give off the illusion that I own a five figure watch, but because I love the design and shape and if I'm rocking a particularly vintage look, it finishes the outfit off.

I think it's very much a marmite design, almost the horological equivalent of concrete brutalism.

I noticed a chap in my office wearing a fake Nautilus yesterday. It looked like the chronograph version but I could not get close enough to have a good look.
    This same chap has a fake Submariner and a fake Daytona. He is a very image conscious guy but I am not sure what image he is trying to project with a knock off watch on the wrist.
    Bizzare really.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    This same chap has a fake Submariner and a fake Daytona. He is a TOSSER but I am not sure what image he is trying to project with a knock off watch on the wrist.
    Fixed that for you.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    I fully concur...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I noticed a chap in my office wearing a fake Nautilus yesterday. It looked like the chronograph version but I could not get close enough to have a good look.
    This same chap has a fake Submariner and a fake Daytona. He is a very image conscious guy but I am not sure what image he is trying to project with a knock off watch on the wrist.
    Bizzare really.
    John
    Not so bizarre, really. Most people will not know the watches are fake and would not care even if they knew. They just look nice. That's all that matters to most people.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 27th April 2017 at 17:39. Reason: Fixed typo

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    +1. Spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I don't really like the look of them. I am sure they are impressive in any way, but for the price range there are many more appealing watches to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jancik View Post
    I don't really like the look of them. I am sure they are impressive in any way, but for the price range there are many more appealing watches to me.
    Agreed. Specifically, I prefer the original AP 15202 to any pseudo-sporty Patek.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Agreed. Specifically, I prefer the original AP 15202 to any pseudo-sporty Patek.
    So you mean the 5402? Think the 15202 is nicer given the matching date wheel and dial. Plus it has a sapphire case back with a decent looking movement

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Who reopened this pointless thread?🔈

Quote Originally Posted by crooky13 View Post
    So you mean the 5402? Think the 15202 is nicer given the matching date wheel and dial. Plus it has a sapphire case back with a decent looking movement
    I meant the originator of the genre in general, but yes, 5402s are of course lovely too.

I've come around to appreciating the contrasting date wheel, though. So the modern but uncommon 14802 is really the one I want. :)

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    I think that puts it very well. I'm not sure I would describe them as ugly, just not for me. A friend of mine has the moonphase Nautilus and I agree it's a beautifully made watch and I can absolutely see why people like it but it really does little for me.

The Aquanaut, however, I find completely perplexing, there I cannot see the attraction at all. Such a strange shape to my eyes.

However, I also dislike practically every Rolex, so I'm probably in a tiny minority ... ;)
    i guess the 5980A blue dial is the best looking of them all plus that chrono complication makes it a perfect watch in all aspects look sporty and complex