closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Steinhart GMT

Steinhart GMT

As a bit of a noob and purely because i'm going on holiday in april i was looking at this:

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/de/g...black-red.html

I've read mixed stuff about it. Some say it's just a rolex rip off, others love it. Advice much appreciated. I was drawn to it because it doesn't cost too much and could possibly be my "going away, not going to be the end of the world if it gets nicked, holiday watch" also i'd be using a gmt for purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ocean 1s are well made homages of rolexs subs and GMTs it will do you on your holiday iv never had a GMT so can not say how good they are as for rip off well that well go on for years iv had the OVM for years now and love it go anywhere do anything with it cost about £300 but with the look of £100.000 😊

Quote Originally Posted by relic View Post
    The ocean 1s are well made homages of rolexs subs and GMTs it will do you on your holiday iv never had a GMT so can not say how good they are as for rip off well that well go on for years iv had the OVM for years now and love it go anywhere do anything with it cost about £300 but with the look of £100.000
    Good grief...

Simon

Morning prof. Steinharts generally enjoy a good reputation on here, and whilst I don't have an Ocean 1 GMT I do own an Ocean 44 that I use as my holiday watch. The quality is excellent, they have good movements and mine has admirable timekeeping.

All in all I'd say it would be an excellent buy for you.

Yes the Ocean 1 is a homage - crucially in a bigger case than the Rolex ( which to my mind is a good thing, as I think Rolex Subs are far too small!).

Simon

Thanks Simon. I didn't want another Seiko (until i build up my collection i'm trying to keep it one watch per brand which is why i won't buy a bambino as a dress watch). Yeah i think I'll go for it. Plenty of time between now and April to squirrel the funds away.

Cheers,

Ed

Master
    I've had an Ocean 1. great watch for the money. Don't compare it to a Rolex because there is a reason for the price difference. but as a good everyday watch that isn't going to let you down the Steinharts are great value.

Master
    As the owner of 10 Steinharts.... Buy without fear of disappointment! Great value, great retention, v tasteful homages. Worst case scenario: an easy flip after the holiday.

Thanks for that. When i eventually get a rolex it would be a sub or a sea dweller so i wouldn't have room for a gmt and also i wouldn't want to take a four figure watch on holiday. The orient pro sat (yes i know you can get it way cheaper then four figures but it's very special to me) and Tudor would have to stay at home and my work seiko doesn't feel like holiday material. So i def reckon this is a good option... especially considering your endorsements.

If you had time on your side (no pun intended) you could pick up a used example of one of Eddie's (Timefactors) Dreadnought Voyagers for not a great deal more, they tend to go between £500 - £600. A do it all travelling/diving watch par excellence.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    If you had time on your side (no pun intended) you could pick up a used example of one of Eddie's (Timefactors) Dreadnought Voyagers for not a great deal more, they tend to go between £500 - £600. A do it all travelling/diving watch par excellence.
    Thanks buddy but I think the sweet spot with the Steinhart is that it's below £500. Anything above that and i'd worry about it when going on holiday. But I've never heard of those before... care to share a link?

Quote Originally Posted by professorfail View Post
    Thanks buddy but I think the sweet spot with the Steinhart is that it's below £500. Anything above that and i'd worry about it when going on holiday. But I've never heard of those before... care to share a link?

Top of every page, that big Timefactors logo.......... ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Top of every page, that big Timefactors logo.......... ;-)
    Lol. I'm on tapatalk on my phone. But i'll be sure to check it out ;-)

Next on my shopping list methinks

Master
    Yeah, they are great things. I have one of those!!! Yes, its a Rolex hommage but its a quality bit of kit in its own right and at a sensible price. Some other Swiss brands would charge you 3 or 4 times as much for a watch with the same movement. Most non-WIS people ignore watches, but I've never had so many people say how great the Steinhart looks - and not all of them say that because they think its a Rolex!

Settled then. Steinhart red&black gmt next purchase. Will have to get my friend to look in sales corner as i don't have access yet

Master
    Couple of Steinharts on SC now if you can see pics. Old style GMT (based on the Rolex GMT/McQueen) and a Divers watch.

Can't see pics but not ready to buy just yet buddy. Got my mate ghosty on the case cos i can't see SC yet. Thanks though.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Dont think you can go wrong with that steinhart GMT. Great looking watch.

Craftsman
    My gmt. Black ceramic bezel.
    To change the gmt hand you have to change the whole time.

Lovely.

Apprentice
    Nice watch.

I wish they would do a stainless steel version of the Ocean Ti 500 Premium. Not sure about buying a titanium watch.

Lovely.

Have you tried one on yet? With absolutely no lug curve (i.e. the lugs stick out at about 90º to the case) and a 42mm width they wear quite big. I've had plenty and had to move them all on because of the stupid lugs.

In the old days there was no denying the bang for buck value, but they seem to be going up in price and since Brexit they're not the bargain they used to be. Still quality watches though.

Have you considered the Squale GMT?

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...s-GMT-Ceramica

Or, dare I say it, a Christopher Ward Trident GMT? But never buy CW new, there's always a sale on and voucher codes for £100 off purchases over £500 is readily available.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    With absolutely no lug curve (i.e. the lugs stick out at about 90º to the case) and a 42mm width they wear quite big.
    This is also why I say that they are not quite as exact homages as many people seem to think. They only appear like pure Sub/GMT homages when seen straight on, in plan view. Seen from the side they are rather different.

In turn, this is why I say that one should consider the merits of the Ocean 1 in its own right, not as a homage. Do you like the watch? If so, buy it because you like it, not because it's a homage.

Other alternatives that are aesthetically similar are Marcello C and a Swiss company whose name I have forgotten (sorry!). In these cases too in my opinion, one should buy because one likes the watches, not because they are an ersatz Rolex.

If one the other hand you really want a Sub or GMT then get one. Yes, the prices are very different but so be it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Other alternatives that are aesthetically similar are Marcello C and a Swiss company whose name I have forgotten (sorry!). In these cases too in my opinion, one should buy because one likes the watches, not because they are an ersatz Rolex.
    Can anyone think of the company I mean? It's not Squale. The company in question does a range of Sub homages as well as other watches. They used to do a Yacht-Master homage (the platinum dial/stainless steel version). They now use ceramic bezel inserts.

Thanks for all the info guys i will give it some careful thought. But definitely not a CW. I hate the logo. Superficial I know but...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    I've had an Ocean 1. great watch for the money. Don't compare it to a Rolex because there is a reason for the price difference. but as a good everyday watch that isn't going to let you down the Steinharts are great value.
    This seems to be the general consensus on Steinharts - very good value for money but can't be compared to Rolex

Can anyone think of the company I mean? It's not Squale. The company in question does a range of Sub homages as well as other watches. They used to do a Yacht-Master homage (the platinum dial/stainless steel version). They now use ceramic bezel inserts.
    Davosa?

Journeyman
    The bronze steinharts have caught my eye somewhat, trying to find a comparison pic between the light vs the dark brown bezel is a nightmare though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_O View Post
    Davosa?
    That's it!

Thank you. :-)

Davosa?
    This one?

IMG_1325.JPG

This one?

IMG_1325.JPG

I meant as an alternative for the steinhart i'm looking at not the aforementioned yachtmaster homage.

I meant as an alternative for the steinhart i'm looking at not the aforementioned yachtmaster homage.

My reply of Davosa was simply to Mark trying to think of the name of the company. I've no idea which model he had in mind.

Thanks for all the info guys i will give it some careful thought. But definitely not a CW. I hate the logo. Superficial I know but...

Not superficial at all IMHO. My first rule of watch buying is that I have to like the look of everything about it, regardless of price or quality.
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries
    This one?
    My reply of Davosa was simply to Mark trying to think of the name of the company. I've no idea which model he had in mind.
    The models I was thinking of were the Ternos range. See here: http://www.davosa.com/en/gents/mechanical/ternos/

I see that the Yacht-Master homage (model 161.555.10) has reappeared in their product range and is just a Sub homage with a metallic/white colour scheme. ;-)

The models I was thinking of were the Ternos range. See here: http://www.davosa.com/en/gents/mechanical/ternos/

I see that the Yacht-Master homage (model 161.555.10) has reappeared in their product range and is just a Sub homage with a metallic/white colour scheme. ;-)
    They look lovely but after a gmt rather than a diver the argonautic looks lovely but perhaps a bit too close to a seamaster (in terms of looks rather than function), and that's my next "big" one so i think will stick with the Steinhart idea. Also slightly pricier (although could be wrong... no access to SC yet) and i want it as holiday watch/not quite a beater but wouldn't worry too much if anything happened to it. But i hadn't even heard of them so good for a noob like me to be aware ;-)