closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PO Replacement (Submariner Or Submersible) - Help me Choose Plz.

Craftsman

PO Replacement (Submariner Or Submersible) - Help me Choose Plz.

So after a lot of deliberation, I've narrowed down the replacement for my 45.5mm PO on the orange bezel to two watches.

I've put my name down on the waiting list for a Rolex Submariner Hulk from Watches of Switzerland. I've been advised that it will most likely be a couple of months before I get the call and I didn't ask about a discount as I know that's probably less than likely. Total spend would be £6600.

I also really like the Panerai Luminor Submersible which looks great on my wrist and retails at £5,800. I've negotiated a free strap of my choosing, valued at £260 or £100 off the watch but if I pushed, I'm comfident of securing both. The AD has one in stock and advised that the fact that it was number xxx out of 500 or 800, I can't remember, they are quite in demand but that could be sales talk for all I know.

https://www.watches-of-switzerland.c...minor/n-a-1508

I know that the Rolex will hold its value better but on looks, I feel like I love them both equally. I like the fact that I could mix and match straps on the Panerai but can't see myself doing likewise on the Rolex with it being on the bracelet from day 1.

Maybe the choice is obvious but I'm keen to hear from those of you who know far more than me when it comes to these brands. I've already had some advice via private messaging but keen to reach out to the wider TZ community.

*plz message me if anyone's interested in the PO as I'll be looking to sell at some point this year. Thanks.

Martin

Master
    The Hulk is a lovely watch and always popular should resale be required. A bit of a discount should be available or 2 yrs 0% + 20% deposit. Panerai are nice but they have their own devotees. think a Submersible was on SC the other week

Don't discount wearing the Submariner on different straps. It might be slightly different with the Hulk because of the colouring but I wear my 114060 on a RubberB, a tan leather Everest strap and a Nato for days when I want people to think I'm James Bond. I do wear it on the bracelet ~60% of the time but like a bit of variety.

I've tried on Panerai Subs but never owned one but my impression is that they're not a watch I'd wear every day as I would with my Rolex sub or a simpler Panerai (e.g. 005).

Both good choices, but try to worry less about depreciation and buy the watch you will enjoy wearing the most.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    The Hulk is a lovely watch and always popular should resale be required. A bit of a discount should be available or 2 yrs 0% + 20% deposit. Panerai are nice but they have their own devotees. think a Submersible was on SC the other week
    Good luck trying to get a discount on a hulk, and even 0% finance.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by IMMY77 View Post
    The 0% is on the cards but I'm not taking advantage of it in this case. I assumed a discount wasn't likely given the waiting list.

I haven't had a chance to try a sub and at 40mm it appears to be a tad smaller than my previous Tudor Black Bay which I felt was too small...the Panerai is significantly bigger, which I like. I might need to source a sub just to make sure that the size isn't going to be an issue for me!

Craftsman
    When you try them both on which one feels better? They are both great choices...hard to go wrong either way.

Craftsman

suppose

It boils down to personal choice in the end but I'd have the Submariner over the Panerai.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Submariner.

Craftsman
    Not sure why, but quite a few of the ADs on the Panerai website don't seem to advertise any or have them in stock. WOS in Glasgow today advised they no longer sell them but hope to again in the future. Harrods and Selfridges aren't showing any and neither is a dealer listed in Dublin. Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by MTM84 View Post
    WOS in Glasgow today advised they no longer sell them but hope to again in the future...
    Laings have been the Panerai AD in Glasgow since November 2014, having taken over the brand from WoS.
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    I had a Panerai Sub a few years back. Was most excited when it arrived. Put it on, wore it for 24 hours and promptly sold it.

The Hulk is my 'keeper'.

For me Panerai are great on other people, but I just don't like them on me, plus I personally find them a bit 'look at me'. They are so obviously different - which for some is what they want, but for 24/7 for me is too much.

The Hulk on the other hand generally goes unnoticed. I disagree with comments re colour reducing it's flexibility. It's the 21st Century, anyone can where whatever they want whenever they want - e.g. you 'could' wear the Panerai with a DJ if you wanted.

Given what you currently wear and your comments I would definitely counsel to try the Rolex for size. I reckon it will be fine compared to the PO, but just in case..... If the Rolex feels too small then you might consider the ExpII - in black, which is a bit of a hybrid between the Panerai and the Hulk looks wise and works very well on a Rubber B if you want strap.

Re straps, I have tried various Rolexes on straps, inc Rubber B, but I always find that bracelet is best.

Enjoy the process of choosing.

Craftsman
    Nice dilemma, think overall it would be the Rolex for me. Just more wearable I think.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Laings have been the Panerai AD in Glasgow since November 2014, having taken over the brand from WoS.
    Laings is the dealer I've spoken to. You would have though Panerai would update their website.

Master
    For me a PAM Sub is a 10th watch, worn infrequently when I want something different. A Rolex Sub is a much better day to day watch, though I hate the green/green ceramic LV.

If you go for the pam in 10 years time you will wish you went for the sub, but they are both cool watches.

Craftsman
    Re size, I've had both PO XL and the sub, found the sub a more wearable everyday size. But then I did find PO a tad on the large side with a suit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 8500 xl and while in my AD tried on a sub, felt far too small, while I was there I also tried on a Pam 389 and it was lovely, not sure if a SD wears bigger I was going to try one next

Easy choice. Sub.

Master
    Sub for me too. It's a classic in every respect.

Submariner all day long. The Hulk is exceptional and when it catches the sunlight, what a sight it is. The black one is more versatile, maybe, but do we really co-ordinate watches with clothes? I know I don't, I'd have no idea where to start.

Master
    I suspect the sub will hold its value better if this is a factor ? Personally, I think the Pam is a better looking watch though and cannot see the appeal of the Hulk at all. Others clearly do !

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PamFan View Post
    Why are you moving on from the PO?
    I love my PO but I'd like a change.

Dare I say it, I think I prefer he looks and size of the Panerai but I'll await the Hulk call, try it on at the AD and then make my decision...

Interesting reading everybody's thoughts though.

Definitely the Panerai for me. Can't see the appeal of the Hulk at all, odd to have a green watch as a daily wearer too. Ad you say, you'll find it too small if you found the Black Bay too small, unlike the Panerai.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Definitely the Panerai for me. Can't see the appeal of the Hulk at all, odd to have a green watch as a daily wearer too. Ad you say, you'll find it too small if you found the Black Bay too small, unlike the Panerai.
    Plus 1, unless you're in this hobby for a 12 month investment.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by troymcclure72 View Post
    Plus 1, unless you're in this hobby for a 12 month investment.
    What do you mean re. a 12 month investment?

Having a Pam is like having an original mini or beetle,when a fellow owner sees it on ya ,he's all over ya like ya best mate ,having a Rolex just isn't the same,and before the police come I do have both

Craftsman
    Can't wait for the call now to see if the sub will be big enough for me.

Craftsman
    I have the same PO as you. If I were in your position I would be looking at a Sea Dweller.

Quote Originally Posted by IMMY77 View Post
    Depends on the skills of the negotiator ;)

Schipol airport often have them in stock £5,200

Chris

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    I have the same PO as you. If I were in your position I would be looking at a Sea Dweller.
    I've just looked at that model having read your post. Nice enough watch but not as striking as the green sub for me and signficantly more expensive for the larger models. In all honesty, were the green Hulk not available, I would probably have bought the Panerai by now as none of the other models at that price point take my fancy.