closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any SPSS statistics experts here?

Master

Any SPSS statistics experts here?

Bit of a long shot, but am in need of a little advice in understanding how to include control variables in a (linear regression) moderator analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Bit of a long shot, but am in need of a little advice in understanding how to include control variables in a (linear regression) moderator analysis.
    No help at all but what degree are you doing? :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    No help at all but what degree are you doing? :-)
    Business management and psychology. The business side can be interesting, but the psych, not so much.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Have you made use of the linear regression analysis toolpak for Excel? very powerful little widget.

Nice to see some nerdy academia stuff on TZ :)

Sent from my MotoG3 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Samjowen View Post
    Have you made use of the linear regression analysis toolpak for Excel? very powerful little widget.

Nice to see some nerdy academia stuff on TZ :)

Sent from my MotoG3 using TZ-UK mobile app
    I've been strongly advised to use SPSS for my analysis instead of excel. It's all working fine so far, and I've no issue doing a linear regression with just the IV, DV's, and moderator. Just having a bit of trouble working out how to incorporate controls into a linear regression with a moderator variable. The university have basically said here is SPSS, good luck.

Could you provide a bit of context, i.e., what exactly is the problem? If you have managed to run a linear regression with a moderator variable, adding a few controls should not be an issue. If I understood your question correctly, something like this should do (remove the [] in the real application):

DATASET ACTIVATE [DataSet].
    REGRESSION
    ... [your options here]
    /DEPENDENT [DV]
    /METHOD=ENTER [IV1 IV2 IV3] [Moderator] [IV1*Moderator IV2*Moderator IV3*Moderator] [Control1 Control2 Control3].

Just add the controls as they are, the moderating effect is limited to the focal IVs.

If you use the GUI, than select your control variables in the "independent(s)" box as well. The difference between controls and IVs is more on the theory level (i.e., IVs are focal variables of your analysis, usually paired with a hypothesis regarding their effect on the DV; control variables are included to control for potential alternative explanations to the hypothized effect).

Cheers,
    Christian