closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying a watch you won't wear much

Buying a watch you won't wear much

Tell me I'm silly.

I'm thinking of selling a watch I wear a lot:

for one that I'll tuck away and be too careful to wear - a vintage 1601 on leather:

(Borrowed image.)

It would involve a large wad of cash, too.

Has anyone else considered buying a watch you just know you won't wear much? Please talk me out of it.

I have bought watches knowing I won't wear them much (especially a couple of pocket watches), but my most expensive watch is the one I wear the most.

There are a hundred reasons for buying a watch, it's up to you really. What will you wear often instead of the Nomos?

Craftsman
    Why wouldn't you wear the Datejust much? It's not that fragile is it?

It's mainly the acrylic, I suppose. Whenever I get a vintage piece I worry about marking it, then I do mark it, then I polish it and put it back in its box and regret having worn it. Then I sell it...

Craftsman
    The only solution here is to have both watches. There is no way you should sell the Nomos Club, a beautiful watch. Make another sacrifice in your life to make both watches affordable.

Master
    Watches are for wearing (unless it is ludicrously valuable, or has special sentimental value). For me, if you don't wear it, you shouldn't have bought it.

I have a small collection of vintage watches and modern watches I really enjoy and keep adding too,

I do not wear them that often, but when I do it is nice.

I spend a lot of my time working, and through that work a watch would take a lot of pounding and pick up a lot of battle scars quickly, so something in nice condition would not stay that way long.

So at work I wear G-shocks, do not have to worry about them they can take the abuse.

So I say if that is what you want to buy go for it, if it makes you happy that is all that matters.

I have worked with two chaps both who said they bought there one watch in the sixties, one has a Rolex explorer and the other has a submariner, both watches have are bashed to hell but that is pretty damn cool in my book. They could not understand why I would ever need more than one watch.

Something I can not explain, but I like objects.

we are all different, if you like watches, why not.

I like the nomos, it is cool but I think the Rolex is old school cool and in a different league.

I would wear that Rolex, just not in the workshop.
    Last edited by pastrana72; 19th February 2017 at 14:41.

I would be reluctant to buy any watch that I did not intend to wear - however, I don't consider myself to be a collector.

Keep the Nomos.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nitsy View Post
    It's mainly the acrylic, I suppose. Whenever I get a vintage piece I worry about marking it, then I do mark it, then I polish it and put it back in its box and regret having worn it. Then I sell it...
    Nooooo!
    Acrylic is ideal for daily wear. If you mark it then 5 minutes giving it a wipe over with some polywatch in front of the telly and it's back to perfect again. or just collect a few hairlines and polywatch every couple of months.
    I love it compared to sapphire.

Master
    Nice watch you are thinking about.
    To be honest get on and wear it. Vintage Rolex are sturdy beasts that can take a lot before they show any wear. I wear vintage Rolex daily and they look no different now form when I bought them. Ok I work in an office and do not wear them at the beach, working on bikes etc so I am 'appropriately' careful but still.
    Wear it !

Master
    I don't buy any watch that I don't think I will wear a fair amount. The only watches that I have which I don't really wear are those I inherited and so have sentimental value but aren't necessarily those I would choose myself! Most watches can be worn most of the time depending on your job etc perhaps you just need to be less worried about scratches!

Master
    In my view, keep the Nomos. It's a beautiful watch. I don't see any point of buying a watch and not wearing it.

Craftsman
    Personally, I'd keep the Nomos - it's a beautiful, understated watch.

Master
    I don't see the point in safe queens myself. I've always worn every watch I own, or sold it because I haven't wanted to wear it. Watches are for wearing and enjoying to me and if it's for investment reasons, I'd invest elsewhere (yes I know watches have done well lately but I wouldn't rely on it).

That said it depends on what you want. If you'd enjoy not wearing it much, but on the occasions you do, you really enjoy it, above your current one, then who am I to say what you should or shouldn't do.

I would though, as someone else has said, try and have both, if that's at all possible :-)

I agree with the others that suggest keeping the Nomos, seems crazy to me to sell a beautiful watch that you enjoy wearing to replace it with something you'd be afraid to wear.

You'd doubtless get alot more comments on forums with that Rolex,but would it really give you more enjoyment than the Nomos that you can wear daily relaxed?

Each to their own but I only buy watches in happy wearing without being a nervous wreck about damage or worse still attracting unwanted attention from potential theives.

I usually keep special watches for special occasions, so they still get worn, but less often and in lower risk circumstances.

Personally, I'd keep the Nomos, far nicer IMHO.

A vintage Datejust is a lovely thing and I would do the trade you're thinking of.

I traded a regular wearer for something I knew I wouldn't wear much (but really wanted) last year and I don't regret the trade.

However, I have now bought another watch to fill the regular wear job, but that's the way of this hobby I guess.

But if you sell the watch you wear a lot for one you will not, what will you wear? I think you'll get more pleasure having a watch you'll wear often than one seldom, unless you can afford both.

Personally I much prefer the Nomos and can see why you wear it.

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm leaning towards getting the datejust.

The Nomos isn't my only daily wearer though, which I should have made clear. But I do wear it without worrying.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nitsy View Post
    Thanks for the comments guys. I'm leaning towards getting the datejust.

The Nomos isn't my only daily wearer though, which I should have made clear. But I do wear it without worrying.
    Push yourself to wear the date just a lot when (!!) you get it and you will soon find yourself not worrying :)

The Nomos is fresh and contemporary. The Rolex looks like an old bloke's watch.

Its likely one of them has a lot more miles on the clock than the other, even after allowing for the better engine.

Master
    I'd try and find a way to atretch and have both if one was my main wearer.

I can understand selling a watch that is worn once or twice a week for another that is kept for more special occasions, but I can't see why you sell one that gets the lions share of wrist time though.

I once bought a watch I knew wouldn't get much wear - a small 9ct gold vintage Longines, beautiful but not exactly versatile. I knew that all the time I wasn't wearing it I would still be enjoying owning it. It's a little treasure and the scarcity of reasons for wearing it doesn't diminish it in my eyes.

Around the same time I bought a cheap vintage Seiko, intending to wear it plenty as a kind of beater. Unfortunately it turned out not to be very readable, so I scarcely wore it, and it just became a purposeless annoyance.

Two watches, worn about the same amount, but it was the much cheaper purchase that I regretted. However, I didn't sell anything to buy them, and I suspect that that detail is the most important.

I have plenty of watches I virtually NEVER wear, so I'm not going to dissuade you.

For me the real question is, why would you sell a watch you like wearing? Are you planning on not wearing a watch at all most of the time if you get the Rolex?

M

Grand Master
    I`d buy the Rolex if it was on the correct bracelet and in good condition, but I don`t like to see these on leather straps because they were never designed to be worn that way. The bracelet ends up scrap because it's worn out and the watch head ends up on a bit of leather.....just doesn`t work for me at all.

Ignore the stupid comments about 'old bloke's watch', it's a pathetic opinion and frankly I find it an insult. As I`m getting older I can`t stand ageist shite like that.

Paul

Useful comments, chaps.

I do have various other watches; the Nomos isn't my only easy wearer - it's just the one that would most likely be on the block to help fund the datejust.

Re datejust bracelets - I have to admit I would probably keep it on leather, despite the lack of finish on the case between the lugs. I just prefer the look and feel of leather on all watches I own.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Ignore the stupid comments about 'old bloke's watch', it's a pathetic opinion and frankly I find it an insult. As I`m getting older I can`t stand ageist shite like that.

Paul
    How does 'unwanted inheritance' grab you Paul?

Peter

Journeyman
    I personally wouldn't buy a watch I wouldn't wear; or keep one, for that matter.

Incidentally, I recently sold a Rolex I wasn't wearing any more and ordered a Nomos Club, so I couldn't help smiling when I saw your thread.

Re: Ignore the stupid comments about 'old bloke's watch', it's a pathetic opinion and frankly I find it an insult. As I`m getting older I can`t stand ageist shite like that.

Paul

Whole heartedly agree.

Indeed - If you like it, who cares what someone else thinks?

Personally, it's not a design I've ever liked

It's not that it's an "Old man's watch" (otherwise I'd have to start considering it), it's just that (to my eyes) it's old fashioned and a bit fussy with that crinkly bezel.

M

Craftsman
    Conversely I really like the fluted bezel. My first Rolex was a 36mm datejust bought when I still young and sporty with too many diver/chrono watches. It was a nice change so easily slipped into rotation with other watches and was my automatic go to watch if I had to put on a suit.

I say buy it. Occasional wear is still enough to justify a different style in my book.

Master

We all do it!!

Ive done it loads and to be honest it makes me appreciate it more when I do!! I have though flipped a few that stressed me out wearing due to value so I have a natural limit on what I personally deem as acceptable for me to spend now so that I will wear them more!!
    There's something really special about a watch you only get out a few times a year for really special occasions!!

Chris

Both are great looking watches. Definitely try to keep and wear both.

Master
    Clearly, getting the vintage 1601 is something you should do if you fancy it. It is a lovely piece.

Regarding letting the Nomos go, I would do this if it were a watch that could be easily replaced if you missed it. If not, or you would suffer a big financial loss, then I would keep the Nomos.