closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any structural engineers?

Any structural engineers?

Seeking some advice from any of our resident structural engineers if poss.

We are in the process of sorting a house extension - planning approval has been sorted and building control have been informed via a Building Notice.

I am looking at getting some calculations done for some steelwork in the new roof of the extension that ties into the existing house. Been given some strange prices (albeit verbally over the phone) and am wondering what the ballpark figure is for working out a ridge beam and 2 purlin sizes?

Any pointers greatly received.

TIA
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

£ 250 should nail that, easy.

I agree with reggie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys - sounds more sensible.

Are the online calculators worth considering?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Thanks guys - sounds more sensible.

Are the online calculators worth considering?
    NO

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    NO
    Ah, ok....lol

Journeyman
    I've had a terrible experience with this lot so far, hope yours goes smoother!

I ended up attempting to contract 4 separate S.E.'s, each one failing to give timely responses and, worse, stringing me along for weeks (pretty much a month per engineer, so massively delaying the work).
    Having moved on and contacted the 5th one (a recommendation from a neighbour in the building industry), he was fine for the initial couple of contacts but has now been the same as the previous lot, never replies to emails/messages and I'm even getting letters from building control now due to his lack of diligence. And I'm not cheap-skating either, it's a UK-wide firm costing nearly £1K for 2 straight-forward structural alterations. Interesting industry, where the norm seems to be treating customers like shit!

This was partly why I posted - I am finding that they are happy to do the big stuff under the umbrella of who they work for mainstream but the small stuff (like mine) I have had either 'too busy' or daft prices.

Pretty poor TBH.

Quote Originally Posted by chrig View Post
    I've had a terrible experience with this lot so far, hope yours goes smoother!

I ended up attempting to contract 4 separate S.E.'s, each one failing to give timely responses and, worse, stringing me along for weeks (pretty much a month per engineer, so massively delaying the work).
    Having moved on and contacted the 5th one (a recommendation from a neighbour in the building industry), he was fine for the initial couple of contacts but has now been the same as the previous lot, never replies to emails/messages and I'm even getting letters from building control now due to his lack of diligence. And I'm not cheap-skating either, it's a UK-wide firm costing nearly £1K for 2 straight-forward structural alterations. Interesting industry, where the norm seems to be treating customers like shit!

I assume you have a working drawing (a plan) Chris ?

I assume you have a working drawing (a plan) Chris ?
    Yes mate, 2 sets of plans. ! set for planning, second set for building control. Having exchanged e-mails with out local BC guy he suggested we do this via a building notice, which I have done and paid for, but we do not have the structural calcs. for the steelwork as previously mentioned.

The planning friend who did the drawings suggested that at 3.8 metres projection from the house (6 metres on the ridge) that we were borderline on using timber. My builder agrees (he is is very meticulous). and suggests we go for steels. I am no way trying to cut corners but I object to being messed around or being over-charged. More than happy to pay the going rate but I want to assure my builder and the BC guy that we have the correct structure.

Ok Chris, If you wish, I'll speak to our nominated struccy on Monday, there's a strong chance he'll be able to do it for you.
    Once I've put you onto him and you can deal direct, emailing him scans/copies of the plans and elevations.
    His name is John O'Rourke and he's been at it for donkeys years.

Ok Chris, If you wish, I'll speak to our nominated struccy on Monday, there's a strong chance he'll be able to do it for you.
    Once I've put you onto him and you can deal direct, emailing him scans/copies of the plans and elevations.
    His name is John O'Rourke and he's been at it for donkeys years.
    Mate, that is so kind - I have PDF's of plans etc.

My Planning mate who did the plans has tried to put me in contact with a mate of his but I have heard nothing as yet.

Happy to pay him etc.

Happy to pay him etc.
    I'm sure he'll be happy to accept too haha

He'll advise of the cost once he's seen it. You can then decide whether or not to go with it, obviously.

Master
    I'm having a nightmare with structural engineers myself at the moment. My usual guy is too busy with bigger projects and I'm on the forth guy now who like the others has gone quiet. It's becoming a real issue as I've got about six or seven domestic projects requiring structural input and I just can't find anyone. My clients are starting to get cheesed off.

Chris, PM me your contact details and email etc and I'll pass them over

Greg

Chris, PM me your contact details and email etc and I'll pass them over

Greg
    Thanks Greg - will do.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    I'm having a nightmare with structural engineers myself at the moment. My usual guy is too busy with bigger projects and I'm on the forth guy now who like the others has gone quiet. It's becoming a real issue as I've got about six or seven domestic projects requiring structural input and I just can't find anyone.
    Sounds all too familiar! Researching on the net, these small domestic alterations aren't even time consuming. As I'm sure you'll agree, it's each one stringing you a long for a few weeks before going quiet that's really frustrating!

Master
    Exactly, I'd rather them be up front and say I'm too busy / it's too small a job.

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    Exactly, I'd rather them be up front and say I'm too busy / it's too small a job.
    This really is the issue - most are busy with big projects. My relatively 4m x 7.5m 2 storey extension will take them next to no time to provide advice on but they don't seem interested at all.

My bro in law is an SE, he covers London, Herts, Bedsfordshire. Due to the nature of the job he has has to do a site visit so work further afield is tough.

Jobs can be worked out if architects drawing can show wall construction, and existing loadings but most architects won't want to take on the liability of providing this.

If the job is large enough he does travel further afield , or if there is enough to warrant a visit.

If you need his details pls drop me a PM

This really is the issue - most are busy with big projects. My relatively 4m x 7.5m 2 storey extension will take them next to no time to provide advice on but they don't seem interested at all.
    Just had some plans done for a kitchen-diner knock through. Cost £200 for the structural engineer. I'm in north Leeds, so not too far from you. Let me know if you want his details and I'll ping them over. He said that much of his work is from "smaller" jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by josep View Post
    Just had some plans done for a kitchen-diner knock through. Cost £200 for the structural engineer. I'm in north Leeds, so not too far from you. Let me know if you want his details and I'll ping them over. He said that much of his work is from "smaller" jobs.
    Thanks for that - I'll see what comes from Greg's contact and drop you a PM.

Big shout out to the guys that have helped me out - all sorted.

Many, many thanks - much appreciated!!.

Journeyman
    I have 3 tame engineers depending on my needs, be it one for std beam calcs (charges £75 per beam), one who's better for project work, and one for ducking big jobs who usually charges in the £k's... it's a balancing act but usually I expect a 2-3weeks standard turn around...

If anyone is really struggling I don't mind passing their details on, but they'll need to have decent drawings otherwise it's a ball ache...

Ps if your being told to do it on a notice rather that a plan submission it's either because the drawings are insufficient and/or it reduces the LABCO's liability.... if they didn't see it, they didn't know it was wrong... notices should be avoided as much as possible...

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by TrussHugger View Post

Ps if your being told to do it on a notice rather that a plan submission it's either because the drawings are insufficient and/or it reduces the LABCO's liability.... if they didn't see it, they didn't know it was wrong... notices should be avoided as much as possible...

Richard
    And there's me thinking the Fees I pay the Local Authority to send out a DBS to check this stuff actually serves a purpose.

(I guess being on first name terms with the consultant struccy in our council helps...)

Not being 'told' to do anything - our BCO suggested we do the development via notice as it's a small project. He is happy to work with us and my builder is very meticulous and wants to see the options so when we get to that part of the build and are at the site meeting stage we have calculations to back up what we are doing.

Please do not suggest this is a corner cutting exercise - it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by TrussHugger View Post
    I have 3 tame engineers depending on my needs, be it one for std beam calcs (charges £75 per beam), one who's better for project work, and one for ducking big jobs who usually charges in the £k's... it's a balancing act but usually I expect a 2-3weeks standard turn around...

If anyone is really struggling I don't mind passing their details on, but they'll need to have decent drawings otherwise it's a ball ache...

Richard

Journeyman
    Not being 'told' to do anything - our BCO suggested we do the development via notice as it's a small project. He is happy to work with us and my builder is very meticulous and wants to see the options so when we get to that part of the build and are at the site meeting stage we have calculations to back up what we are doing.

Please do not suggest this is a corner cutting exercise - it's not.
    Not at all, if there was sufficient detail on the drawing it would have been suitable for a plan submission (which do actually cost less). If a detailed specification with construction details are provided it sets the basis of exactly what the contractor is expected to undertake, this is scurtanised by the BCO prior to the works being undertaken with any question asked before the works start... where as a notice is just that, there is rarely a detailed specification, the contractor gerenally does what he always done ( it's amazing how many dodgy thermal bridging details I see) and as the officer isn't there to oversee it the majority of the time it gets passed off with defects... fast forward a few years and the contractor won't take responsibility as 'it's been signed off' and the BCO won't as 'they can't be expected to be there 24/7. A proper building regulations submission at least sets the basis of how the works should be undertake giving the client recorse against said contractor if required.

It also allows contractors to compared with relative accuracy, being that you have a spec to work with and what is expected... one step away from a tender spec...

It's not about cutting corners, it's covering your arse!

Journeyman
    And there's me thinking the Fees I pay the Local Authority to send out a DBS to check this stuff actually serves a purpose.

(I guess being on first name terms with the consultant struccy in our council helps...)
    They can't check everything... and given that the fees are so low due the competition with AI's, and that they are generally understaffed, the amount of time on site is limited....

I don't envy their position...