closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some activity at LTF Tower

Some activity at LTF Tower

It's been an interesting couple of weeks for me, with a couple of longish quests resolved and an error put right. Anyway, for anyone interested here's a quick summary...

Omega Railmaster

Back in 1957, Omega paved the way (unknowingly, I imagine) for the brand to become one of the major watchmaking powers for decades to come. In response to both the completion's activities and the niche that they saw in the market, three new "technical" models were released in a short space of time. These were the CK2913, CK2914, and the CK2915 - better known as the Seamaster, the Railmaster and the Speedmaster.

Each watch in the Omega Masters Trilogy sought to fill a specific need. However, whilst the Seamaster and Speedmaster continue to this day, the Railmaster, other than in a brief, confusing re-issue as part of the Seamaster collection, has vanished into history.

The Railmaster was designed for scientists and engineers exposed to strong magnetic fields as part of their everyday work. This magnetism would seriously affect the timekeeping of ordinary watches, often stopping them completely, and Omega solved this problem by surrounding the movement with a soft iron inner case and a thicker dial plate, creating a Faraday cage. This internal protection was complemented by Omega’s Naiad crown system and armoured crystal, giving a water resistance of 200ft.

Unfortunately, not enough technicians needed (or wanted) the Railmaster and, because it lacked the general appeal of a dive watch or chronograph, it's production run ended in 1963. Consequently, the CK2914 is a rare piece today, much sought after by collectors. It was a lovely watch, too - here's an image of a Mark I (courtesy of Jack Wong)...

There's a massive amount of history and detail from 1957 to 1963 which I won't go into here, but moving on to more modern times - and as mentioned above - Omega decided to reissue the Railmaster in 2003 (and then again with the XXL in 2012, in fact). This is what Omega had to say about it at the time:

The original OMEGA Railmaster was first launched in 1957 – the same year as the now legendary Speedmaster model – as the successor to a watch created for the British Royal Air Force in 1953. Designed specially for scientists, technicians, electricians and railway workers, or anyone else working in or around powerful electric currents, it had a special double antimagnetic case to protect the watch movement from the harmful effects of these electrical fields. The outside case was made of Staybrite stainless steel, with a polished bevelled bezel, polished solid enveloping lugs, reinforced crystal and a screw-in back with O-ring gasket to ensure water resistance. The inside case consisted of a protective cap, a casing ring and a 1mm thick dial (as opposed to the 0.4mm for a standard dial) made of soft iron, which formed a screen against magnetic fields of over 900 Oersted in any position, as opposed to 60 Oersted for a conventional antimagnetic watch.

The contemporary Railmaster retains the exterior look of the original, with a matt black dial bearing four luminous Arabic numerals at the quarter hours together with luminous triangular hour markers and central Railmaster inscription. The facetted Dauphine-style hands (with arrowhead minute hand) also have luminous inserts, ensuring excellent legibility in all light conditions. A more up-to-date domed, anti-reflective, scratch-resistant sapphire crystal kept in place by the Aqua Terra's simple polished stainless steel bezel rounds off the pure lines of the watch. The interior of the new Railmaster is a different story, however. The original calibre 30SC T4 created in 1955 (a derivative of OMEGA's world-renowned 30mm calibre) is replaced by a new version of OMEGA's revolutionary Co-Axial Escapement movement. The latest incarnation of this movement, OMEGA calibre 2403, displays the hour, minute and central seconds on a sober yet tidy dial. The Co-Axial movement is self-winding and chronometer certified by the COSC (Official Swiss Chronometer Testing Institute). It has a power reserve of 44 hours and an intricate finish of Geneva wave décor and circular graining with gold-plated engravings. The innovative technology of the OMEGA Co-Axial Escapement reduces friction in the watch's drive train and thus offers better long-term accuracy.

The Railmaster models are available only with the new Co-Axial movement and hence only in the 41mm and 38mm case diameters. A choice of steel bracelet with safety clasp and brown or black leather straps with foldover clasp provides for a total of six models in this collection. Like all Aqua Terra models, they are fitted with a screw-in crown and case back that ensure water resistance to 150 metres, the latter fitted with a scratch-resistant sapphire crystal that guarantees a view of the watch's unique movement that will always be perfect.
    So, all in all an interesting watch, and one that I'd been trying to hunt down for ages. I wanted what I believed was the 39mm version, and which is sold as 39mm - this despite the suggestion above that it's actually 38mm (if anyone can shed some light on that I'd be grateful). In any event, I eventually found one being sold as unworn and NOS, all the way over in Sydney. In fact, that's the watch that my DHL thread was about. It duly arrived, fortunately, and upon inspection it certainly did look to be unworn, with the now-removed bracelet still protected by stickers. The cal. 2403 Co-Axial movement is ticking away within 1 second per day (amazing for an unworn watch some 13 years old) and it's now on a brown rally strap whilst I wait for another option that's on the way from the US.

I have to say that I'm delighted with it, despite it being almost ordinary in it's stealthiness. I kind of see it as an alternative to an Explorer, as an all-purpose watch with some proper history behind it.

Aerospace Night Mission

It seems like months ago that I posted a WTT on here, offering my LE cobra dial Night Mission for the standard Volcano Back version plus some cash to balance. I did love the LE but found that it was difficult to actually wear it with anything; conversely, the standard black dial - which I'd tried on a few times - seemed just perfect. Anyway, nobody seemed to be interested in my proposed trade, so I ended up swapping for a brand new watch from a Breitling AD (with a bit of help from a mate on here, I hasten to add). Now, I appreciate that not everyone might have done the same thing, but considering how much I now wear the replacement I know that for me if was the right thing to do. In fact, I love this watch so much I really can't ever see myself selling it.

Breitling B-1

The final piece in the jigsaw was the replacement of the B-1 I sold a while back, having convinced myself that I didn't need two Breitling ana-digis. I was right, of course, but my mistake was in failing to take account of the fact that I want two Breitling ana-digis; fundamental error, now corrected! Anyway, this one is the black dial, and I can now understand why that seems to be the preferred configuration - the digital display windows are far, far less obvious. The other good thing is that it's just come back from a full service and is like new (including the bracelet, which I'll likely never wear). All in all, a great result.

Right, that 's it, I'm afraid
    Last edited by learningtofly; 18th February 2017 at 20:51.

Congratulations, the railmaster is incredibly nice

Wonderful Tony, especially the Railmaster. I'd have the 36mm version if I could find one!

Isn't the railmaster going to be re-introduced at Basel this year?

Blog Entries
    Greats pics as always. The Railmaster is lovely and as you know quite a rare watch to get hold off.

Absolutely loving the Railmaster - not one that I was aware of so thanks for the detailed history.

Interesting and rare. Great find.

Lovely stuff.
    Would take the Railmaster over an Explorer any day.
    B-1 is lovely and nothing wrong with having two Breitling Ana-digits but the Aerospace doesn't do it for me.

I agree, the Railmaster is a lovely thing

Aerospace would be my choice - pick up and go !

I have always lived the Railmaster, and would have the 36mm in a heartbeat if I could find one. Your beautiful pics are just making me obsess about an Ana-Digital Breitling though!

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    Congratulations, the railmaster is incredibly nice
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Wonderful Tony, especially the Railmaster. I'd have the 36mm version if I could find one!

Isn't the railmaster going to be re-introduced at Basel this year?
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    Greats pics as always. The Railmaster is lovely and as you know quite a rare watch to get hold off.
    Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post
    Absolutely loving the Railmaster - not one that I was aware of so thanks for the detailed history.

Interesting and rare. Great find.
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I agree, the Railmaster is a lovely thing
    Thanks, all. I've just put it on a black Brady sailcloth and it loos the dog's dangleys.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Lovely stuff.
    Would take the Railmaster over an Explorer any day.
    B-1 is lovely and nothing wrong with having two Breitling Ana-digits but the Aerospace doesn't do it for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    Aerospace would be my choice - pick up and go !
    PMSL :)

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I have always lived the Railmaster, and would have the 36mm in a heartbeat if I could find one. Your beautiful pics are just making me obsess about an Ana-Digital Breitling though!

Dave
    Look at me as an enabler, Dave!

Nice one Tony!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Lovely watches and photography as usual Tony. I too have a Railmaster although it's the 41.5mm version. Out of interest what other strap are you ordering? I've got mine on a brown alligator which is fine but I have a hankering to try something different.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Nice one Tony!
    Thanks mate!

Quote Originally Posted by David r View Post
    Lovely watches and photography as usual Tony. I too have a Railmaster although it's the 41.5mm version. Out of interest what other strap are you ordering? I've got mine on a brown alligator which is fine but I have a hankering to try something different.
    It's actually just arrived - a black Brady sailcloth. I think it looks great and will post a photo later.

Master
    Great right up Tony thanks. I think we all empathise with not needing but certainly wanting!
    I'm wearing your old 1965 Bulova hummer today, I put a new battery in to it last night which was a piece of cake as I have all the instructions and Bulova tool in the set.

Very nice indeed, before I read it properly,I thought for a heart stopping moment you had bought a amazing looking original
    Great photos Tony.

They all look fantastic tony. I'm now seriously looking at the 36mm Railmaster (hen's teeth!!!) and the 40mm Aerospace!

Mmm, I can feel some ana-digi envy coming on, Tony 

I bought my first Aerospace this week, but the B1 looks to have more prescence, and will be spot on for my gorilla wrists.

Oh dear, another incoming that I need to hide from the boss !

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

It's actually just arrived - a black Brady sailcloth. I think it looks great and will post a photo later.
    Please respect the Railmaster. It deserves a better strap.
    The only good thing about the Brady sail cloth is the self release spring bars.
    To me it feels cheap and artificial even if it doesn't look bad in pics.
    The rally strap in your pics is not half bad.
    Do let us know how you get on with the Brady strap.
    OTOH, Aerospace and Bradybstrap would be a match made in heaven:-) ����
    Last edited by RAJEN; 18th February 2017 at 16:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post
    Great right up Tony thanks. I think we all empathise with not needing but certainly wanting!
    I'm wearing your old 1965 Bulova hummer today, I put a new battery in to it last night which was a piece of cake as I have all the instructions and Bulova tool in the set.
    Lovely watch, and that patina!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Very nice indeed, before I read it properly,I thought for a heart stopping moment you had bought a amazing looking original
    Great photos Tony.
    I did find one, but you know how fussy I am with vintage

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    They all look fantastic tony. I'm now seriously looking at the 36mm Railmaster (hen's teeth!!!) and the 40mm Aerospace!
    Two great choices. The 39mm Railmaster doesn't wear big, though, and is easier to find.

Quote Originally Posted by W124 View Post
    Mmm, I can feel some ana-digi envy coming on, Tony 

I bought my first Aerospace this week, but the B1 looks to have more prescence, and will be spot on for my gorilla wrists.

Oh dear, another incoming that I need to hide from the boss !
    For me, the B-1 is the king of ana-digis. People do seem to hang on to them, though, so it can take a while to snag one.

Please respect the Railmaster. It deserves a better strap.
    The only good thing about the Brady sail cloth is the self release spring bars.
    To me it feels cheap and artificial even if it doesn't look bad in pics.
    The rally strap in your pics is not half bad.
    Do let us know how you get on with the Brady strap.
    I think you're being a bit harsh on the Brady, Raj... it's on now and looks nice, but I have plenty of straps and might even try it on a Zulu

i dont want to upset you, but I've just put one on my FF too...

i dont want to upset you, but I've just put one on my FF too...
    Blasphemy,I tell you!
    Am not a huge fan of BP FF Kevlar/fabric strap but you just need to hold it next to the Brady to see the difference.
    One is nice and supple,the other is like cardboard.
    I know the guy who markets this straps. Hope am not being unduly harsh.

Blasphemy,I tell you!
    Am not a huge fan of BP FF Kevlar/fabric strap but you just need to hold it next to the Brady to see the difference.
    One is nice and supple,the other is like cardboard.
    I know the guy who markets this straps. Hope am not being unduly harsh.
    Unduly harsh? That's not like you

Unduly harsh? That's not like you
    Thank you, I thought I was being diplomatic😜

Thank you, I thought I was being diplomatic
    Well, you'll be pleased to know that the Railmaster is now on a superb black alligator strap, and is looking a lot better for it. I think I'll try the Brady on my 5513 now, though

Master
    Great photos as always Tony and for me that Railmaster is gorgeous it really is, also I am not a fan of any Breitling at all BUT that Night Mission is just fantastic I just love it as it is so understated without any of the normal shiny bling I want one! Damn did I just say I want a Breitling!!!! :)

Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    Great photos as always Tony and for me that Railmaster is gorgeous it really is, also I am not a fan of any Breitling at all BUT that Night Mission is just fantastic I just love it as it is so understated without any of the normal shiny bling I want one! Damn did I just say I want a Breitling!!!! :)
    Hah! Another success

Well, you'll be pleased to know that the Railmaster is now on a superb black alligator strap, and is looking a lot better for it. I think I'll try the Brady on my 5513 now, though
    Good job but looks like I will have to designate the Strap police to a round the clock duty at the LTF tower! Too many egregious combos:-)

Master
    That rail master really is a beauty. I can certainly see myself having one at some point should one come up.

Master
    Lovely watch Tony and it must be a very satisfying outcome after the DHL concerns.

Ian

PS 1st dibs when the time comes pls

Quote Originally Posted by ism123 View Post
    Lovely watch Tony and it must be a very satisfying outcome after the DHL concerns.

Ian

PS 1st dibs when the time comes pls
    You know I never flip my watches, Ian

(Interest duly noted, though!)
    Last edited by learningtofly; 18th February 2017 at 23:17.

When compared to Omegas' latest offerings , there's something so... honest... about that Railmaster - functional, unpretentious, legible, a good size, but not insecurely steroidal.
    A great addition to the stable.

Love the Railmaster and the Night Mission....................and the stunning photography! Tony, have you ever thought of running a photography 'workshop' over a weekend specifically for watch photography? I'm sure many here would love to improve their skills or, in my case gain some skill from a starting point of zero! I'm sure you wouldn't buy a meal, beer or Aspirin all weekend!
    Last edited by Skier; 18th February 2017 at 22:41.

Craftsman
    Really enjoyed reading the Railmaster history and as always wonderful photos of all three watches.
    Thank you.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very nice Tony. I've recently bought an Aerospace Evo myself and it has become a firm favourite. Out of idle curiosity, was the AD in Ruislip? They've got a LE Cobra dial in their second hand section.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Very nice Tony. I've recently bought an Aerospace Evo myself and it has become a firm favourite. Out of idle curiosity, was the AD in Ruislip? They've got a LE Cobra dial in their second hand section.
    Yes, that'll be the one, Dave. Small world.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes, that'll be the one, Dave. Small world.
    Thought so. It's sat next to my Emergency in the window!

Master
    Both the Railmaster and the Night Mission look great. If there's a waiting list for the Railmaster then please put me on it. I've just sold an Annual Calendar Aqua Terra as decided to look for something plainer (by which I mean Explorer, IWC petit prince, Railmaster or even older blue AT quartz) as a regular day to day office wearer.
    The 36mm versions do seem to be fairly rare.....

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    When compared to Omegas' latest offerings , there's something so... honest... about that Railmaster - functional, unpretentious, legible, a good size, but not insecurely steroidal.
    A great addition to the stable.
    Yes there is, although I have to say that I'm something of an admirer of quite a few if the current models. Thanks :)

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Love the Railmaster and the Night Mission....................and the stunning photography! Tony, have you ever thought of running a photography 'workshop' over a weekend specifically for watch photography? I'm sure many here would love to improve their skills or, in my case gain some skill from a starting point of zero! I'm sure you wouldn't buy a meal, beer or Aspirin all weekend!
    i hadn't really thought of that, but I'm bloody flattered that you did! Maybe I'll give it some thought, and thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by storm9 View Post
    Really enjoyed reading the Railmaster history and as always wonderful photos of all three watches.
    Thank you.
    Much appreciated, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Both the Railmaster and the Night Mission look great. If there's a waiting list for the Railmaster then please put me on it. I've just sold an Annual Calendar Aqua Terra as decided to look for something plainer (by which I mean Explorer, IWC petit prince, Railmaster or even older blue AT quartz) as a regular day to day office wearer.
    The 36mm versions do seem to be fairly rare.....
    Noted!

Master
    Hahaha great context and story as always. Really happy for you mate!

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Hahaha great context and story as always. Really happy for you mate!

Thank you. I'm actually really delighted to have the B-1 back in the fold, so here's a gratuitous photo of it :)

After looking for one of these for a while I was lucky enough to find this 39mm example over the weekend.

Couple of questions about the (very nice) Aerospace: -

The dial looks bluish in your photo, it is the standard black dial isn't it?

And, how does this 'black titanium' wear - will it show scratches badly and can it be refinished?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Couple of questions about the (very nice) Aerospace: -

The dial looks bluish in your photo, it is the standard black dial isn't it?

And, how does this 'black titanium' wear - will it show scratches badly and can it be refinished?

Thanks!
    Yes, the AR coating gave it quite a blue tint and I don't have a circular polariser for my (new) Sony gear to eliminate it... I had to give it a tweak in Photoshop instead. Anyway, it's "Volcano Black"... not sure if that's the standard black or not but it's definitely a more matt finish than I've seen before.

The finish seems very durable - more so than standard Ti, if anything. I've worn it a lot and the only signs of use are on the strap.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 19th February 2017 at 22:01.

Beautiful arrivals Tony. I've never been a Breitling fan but your Aerospace is one of the best looking watches I've ever seen; case, dial and strap are simply perfect together.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Beautiful arrivals Tony. I've never been a Breitling fan but your Aerospace is one of the best looking watches I've ever seen; case, dial and strap are simply perfect together.
    Thanks mate

Some activity at LTF Tower

The night mission is even lovelier than the normal titanium. It's just such a lot more ££, and I'm fugal :(

D

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    The night mission is even lovelier than the normal titanium. It's just such a lot more ££, and I'm fugal :(

D

Fraser Hart at One New Change had one at 25% off for weeks, and it finally sold last week. I went inside to buy it at least half a dozen times, but thought two Night Missions was one too many. (This was obviously before I traded the Cobra dial.)
    Last edited by learningtofly; 2nd March 2017 at 22:22.

Master
    The railmaster looks super classy and works really well with the rally strap.
    I'm sure that picture will have a few people looking at these now.Me included.

Journeyman
    That aerospace really looks neat!

Nice. The aerospace is the pick of the bunch for me. Are the 43mm? How does it wear.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57