closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Homage or copy of fifty fathoms

Homage or copy of fifty fathoms

Quote Originally Posted by PamFan View Post
    I wonder how many IP infringements that business involves?
    Any more than this?

There are times when people love a certain watch that they'll never be able to purchase so there will always be a market for those that look similar. I don't see an issue with that at all so long as they're not putting the original branding on it (and therefore it's a fake) or making the material or performance claims of the original.
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 18th February 2017 at 12:38.

I wonder what the movement in the Reef Tiger really is. No mention of ETA, Miyota, SeaGull etc. That puts me off.

It does look good from the pictures. But as above I wouldn't want to buy it without seeing some actual feedback from others first. I would love a Blancpain but one might be a little way away yet. 😔

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Any more than this

There are times when people love a certain watch that they'll never be able to purchase so there will always be a market for those that look similar. I don't see an issue with that at all so long as they're not putting the original branding on it (and therefore it's a fake) or making the material or performance claims of the original.
    Not an apple to apple comparison. We don't need to rehash the whole debate but making homages to old models no longer in production and making blatant copies of current models are two totally different things.
    Homages are different to copies and fakes.

Master
    I was sceptical of these watches until I saw that this one has the old faithful "Reef Tiger RT7901 Automatic Movement"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    I was sceptical of these watches until I saw that this one has the old faithful "Reef Tiger RT7901 Automatic Movement"
    There's also this :

Aurora Deep Ocean watches are the most sturdy and durable wristwatches

That's me convinced then

This thread has reminded me of these

http://www.aramar.nl/index.php?item=...n#.WKhe9DzfWEc

Aramar used to have a link with Steinhart but that link has long been severed.

Looks to be a cheap way to try a 'Patrick Philip' style watch.
    The PVD looks to be applied more professionally that the recent Bamford highlighted on the forum.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Timelord View Post
    I wonder what the movement in the Reef Tiger really is. No mention of ETA, Miyota, SeaGull etc. That puts me off.
    24 jewels, 21.6K vph – seems very likely to be the SII NH35A (value version of the Seiko 6R15).

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Any more than this?

That pic has reminded me that I should have bought one of those while Eddie still had them in stock. Lovely looking watch.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    24 jewels, 21.6K vph – seems very likely to be the SII NH35A (value version of the Seiko 6R15).
    If so, that would be a bonus.

Master
    A brief Google search revealed on the Watchuseek site in 2012 ......................"Swiss Reef Tiger Watch is incorporated in Switzerland" (which may or may not be true, I don't know) but at the bottom of the website it says: "Reef Tiger Swiss watch brand exclusive license to Guangzhou YiMi Trade Co., Ltd." Note: In 2017 they no longer quote this link, but also don't declare a physical trading address.

Pretty sure the watch would have a Seagull or similar Chinese 21600 bph movement inside

If you are happy to have your watch made of genuine Chinesium feel free to crack on.
    Last edited by UKMike; 18th February 2017 at 20:04.

Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    A brief Google search revealed on the Watchuseek site in 2012 ......................"Swiss Reef Tiger Watch is incorporated in Switzerland" (which may or may not be true, I don't know) but at the bottom of the website it says: "Reef Tiger Swiss watch brand exclusive license to Guangzhou YiMi Trade Co., Ltd." Note: In 2017 they no longer quote this link, but also don't declare a physical trading address.

Pretty sure the watch would have a Seagull or similar Chinese 21600 bph movement inside

If you are happy to have your watch made of genuine Chinesium feel free to crack on.
    I think that at the final stage of assembly, someone with a Swiss passport pushes the crown in therefore it's a Swiss watch. Right?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    I think that at the final stage of assembly, someone with a Swiss passport pushes the crown in therefore it's a Swiss watch. Right?
    Yes, no different from much of main stream branded production. Even all but the exception for case blanks p.e.
    Remember Daddel's thread on the OEM Omega bracelet?

I am not sure if it is this outfit but the name sounds familiar which had a LW look-a-like that the conclusion (from the LW branded strap) was they are either the "legitimate" outlet of a fake factory or possibly buy up fakes which don't sell and re-brand them.

Of course they could be a simple hommage and they built again from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    These are available to buy on Amazon UK at around £350.00, and Amazon clearly identify them in the description as having a Seiko NH35A movement....

Simon

It is more about blatant copying rather than where they are made,regardless of the SwissMade claim.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Not an apple to apple comparison. We don't need to rehash the whole debate but making homages to old models no longer in production and making blatant copies of current models are two totally different things.
    Homages are different to copies and fakes.

It's a very complex area given that depending on where the watching being homage is being made (and I'm only speaking about older models) and when the trade dress was protected - it might actually be perfectly legal to make a homage that is a fairly identical to the origin.

Quote Originally Posted by 5avvy View Post
    That pic has reminded me that I should have bought one of those while Eddie still had them in stock. Lovely looking watch.
    I had one and sold it to buy something else (another watch). I can't remember what that 'something else' was and I almost certainly don't still own it. I wish I'd kept the PRS-50.

It is more about blatant copying rather than where they are made,regardless of the SwissMade claim.
    I'd be interested then in where you stand on the Steinhart Ocean 1, Raj? (not sniping, genuinely interested...)

Steinharts have a generally very good reputation on here and the Ocean 1 appears to be widely accepted as a classic (one-of-many) hommage to the Rolex Submariner Date. However the 116610LN is a current model, and as near as dammit the Ocean 1 is a straight copy of it.

I absolutely agree that the Reef Tiger appears to be pretty much a straight copy of the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms... I suppose my question is; is that any different to something like the Ocean 1?

Personally I see it as a dead cheeky copy/hommage. I don't think it's a fake as it doesn't use the brand or model names. I'll leave any issues of patent infringement to the lawyers.

I must confess to being quite drawn to this one...

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    It's a very complex area given that depending on where the watching being homage is being made (and I'm only speaking about older models) and when the trade dress was protected - it might actually be perfectly legal to make a homage that is a fairly identical to the origin.
    Lunchtime drinking?

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Lunchtime drinking?
    Typing on the run - but I think you understand what I was getting at?

But just in case:

It's a very complex area given that due to different IPR laws across the world, a homage being made in country X might actually be perfectly legal depending on when the original IPR (such as trade dress) was registered (and where it was registered).

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    These are available to buy on Amazon UK at around £350.00, and Amazon clearly identify them in the description as having a Seiko NH35A movement....

Simon
    If they have the Seiko movement, they are a bargain IMO and worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I'd be interested then in where you stand on the Steinhart Ocean 1, Raj? (not sniping, genuinely interested...)

Steinharts have a generally very good reputation on here and the Ocean 1 appears to be widely accepted as a classic (one-of-many) hommage to the Rolex Submariner Date. However the 116610LN is a current model, and as near as dammit the Ocean 1 is a straight copy of it.

I absolutely agree that the Reef Tiger appears to be pretty much a straight copy of the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms... I suppose my question is; is that any different to something like the Ocean 1?

Personally I see it as a dead cheeky copy/hommage. I don't think it's a fake as it doesn't use the brand or model names. I'll leave any issues of patent infringement to the lawyers.

I must confess to being quite drawn to this one...

URL]

Simon
    Perfectly valid question and I have said before Steinhart makes too many 'copies' for my liking
    I own several microbrand watches that can be regarded as copies.
    In general I am more comfortable with homages rather than copies.
    I don't think I would dismiss people who buy the copies as fake lovers and as long as they are clear in their mind, it is their prerogative.
    I am just surprised the Swiss companies don't seem to take action.

Blog Entries
    It looks like a really solidly built homage and very nicely done font - I hope it does well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Steinhart do a good job doing it , debaufre , Marcelo c , squale

All good micro brands

I think the only people who hate it are purists , snobs and Archie luxury who of course puts Invicta in the same category as Squale and Steinhart!?

Homage or copy of fifty fathoms

Perfectly valid question and I have said before Steinhart makes too many 'copies' for my liking
    I own several microbrand watches that can be regarded as copies.
    In general I am more comfortable with homages rather than copies.
    I don't think I would dismiss people who buy the copies as fake lovers and as long as they are clear in their mind, it is their prerogative.
    I am just surprised the Swiss companies don't seem to take action.
    To your last point... maybe it's not so surprising. Think of all the hommages/copies of the Rolex Sub (Steinhart, Grovana, Marcello C etc etc). They are bought in the main I imagine by people who would buy the real thing if they had the money... I suspect a proportion of those owners will ultimately convert to a Rolex later on. Ironically that makes the whole copy/hommage scene a kind of extended PR campaign for Rolex. So maybe it pays them to be sanguine about it.

Not that Panerai have been even remotely sanguine about it - in their case their lawyers have gone after offenders like junkyard dogs, even when the misuse of 'Marina Militare' on the dial wasn't involved!

Simon

Last edited by mycroft; 20th February 2017 at 00:20.

I think if people want the look for a fraction of the price there´s nothing wrong with it at all, providing of course theré´s no logo copying, brand infringement etc.
    If there´s folk willing to spend their hard earned on essentially very similar performing timepieces at 10 or 15 times the price, good luck to them and the companies that satisfy that market sector.
    Plenty of room for both and no need to be dismissive providing no law is broken.

I thought the Reef Tiger name rang a bell somewhere....they do a blatant lookey likey copy of some Grand Seiko models too.
    So in answer to your question - copy not homage.

In the interest of forum research decided to give it a try.
    My impressions- as one can imagine it is a blatant copy.
    A decent one but the differences are obvious.
    While the lines are smooth on the original,here they feel sharp and harsh.
    Bezel action is decent and so is the crown action and lume.
    The strap is very stiff but copies the look well- better than a Brady strap for sure.
    One good part about it is something that is original- the dial has a mild sunburst effect that works well with PVD.
    Time keeping seems to be decent.
    For the price,not bad and if it weren't such a blatant copy,might have gotten some wrist time. I would be very uncomfortable wearing this much as it is- not meant to be a criticism of those who would.
    Some quick pics

windows print screen

When I got the package, was kind of worried what was in the package as it looked like this

upload image online
    Last edited by RAJEN; 4th March 2017 at 15:00.

Very good of you to try one out Raj.

I couldn't see anyone buying one as a stepping stone to the real thing.
    It's just a matter of time...

I have 2 brady sailcloth straps en route for my prs-50, a bit gutted now :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    I think if people want the look for a fraction of the price there´s nothing wrong with it at all, providing of course theré´s no logo copying, brand infringement etc.
    If there´s folk willing to spend their hard earned on essentially very similar performing timepieces at 10 or 15 times the price, good luck to them and the companies that satisfy that market sector.
    Plenty of room for both and no need to be dismissive providing no law is broken.
    But without the Blancpain, this watch would not exist. The may not have put the logo on, but it is a blatant copy, and only depends on whether blancpain have protected their design on whether there is an IP / brand infringement.

I would actually say the opposite of good luck to them. They could try and create something original rather than copy another brand - this is what blancpain did 282 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    I am probably being too harsh on Brady straps.
    I think there are plenty of happy customers here on the forum itself.
    For some reason, they have never done it for me as I found them very synthetic looking.
    One good feature is the quick release spring bars.

I am probably being too harsh on Brady straps.
    I think there are plenty of happy customers here on the forum itself.
    For some reason, they have never done it for me as I found them very synthetic looking.
    One good feature is the quick release spring bars.
    Thanks, I will give them a try

Blog Entries

Feels good to have the original on the wrist. ;)

I bought a Seiko off David (Takethecannoli) mainly because the package included a Brady strap. It arrived this morning and is very comfortable. It looks like a well put together piece of kit. I haven't tried the release mechanism yet. A few photos.

I bought the watch really to get the strap having read stories of people waiting weeks and weeks for them to turn up from the US and I am also sick and tied of getting stung for import duties. My intention is to pop it on this FFF that arrived yesterday. By the way the Seiko is a nice watch, which will look even better on its original SS bracelet.

Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 4th March 2017 at 21:20.

Quote Originally Posted by yonsson View Post
    Feels good to have the original on the wrist. ;)
    That is one stunning watch, the bezel insert is a work of art on its own. If only...

They are quite thick. I have a 55 Fathoms and it is a cheerful watch if you don't expect too much - doesn't hack, manual wind and not a great power reserve but I enjoy wearing it. I will pick up the 50 version at some point as they are really nice !

Popped the FFF on the Brady strap this morning. So easy to fit, you don't even need a tool. If only all straps had a similar fitting mechanism. Job done, I think it looks much better than on a SS bracelet.

I would't worry at all. I currently have my Navitimer World on a blue Brady sailcloth (first time I've ever tried one) and I really like it. I think it's good quality, comfortable although quite thick, I like the pattern on it and in this particular case I think it really brings out the blue of the dial.

Breitling purists willl now be reaching for their scythes and pitchforks of course, but that's not the point - I think you'll like them when they arrive...

Simon

Thanks everyone, I received two brady straps, one 22mm at full price with QR springbars and one bargain basement/close out strap (20mm blue with normal springbars) that I wanted to try on my SMP

The blue one split in a couple of places after first ten minutes on the wrist but felt comfortable enough, the black/gold is much better quality and I love it on my 50

Journeyman
    There is a bloke in Belgium who does Seiko based 55 tributes as posted above. I think these are the 'right way' to do a homage, cheap and custom not from a copy-cat company.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    They are quite thick. I have a 55 Fathoms and it is a cheerful watch if you don't expect too much - doesn't hack, manual wind and not a great power reserve but I enjoy wearing it. I will pick up the 50 version at some point as they are really nice !
    Just in case someone thinks this applies to all 55 Fathoms (modded or otherwise), the later movement both hacks and hand winds.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    This thread has reminded me of these

http://www.aramar.nl/index.php?item=...n#.WKhe9DzfWEc

Aramar used to have a link with Steinhart but that link has long been severed.

Looks to be a cheap way to try a 'Patrick Philip' style watch.
    The PVD looks to be applied more professionally that the recent Bamford highlighted on the forum.
    Thanks SL. I have wanted a 5711 homage for a while, never managed to bag one. Ordered one of these now. Homage be damned!

A pic on new brady (discussed below)