closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cracked Plexi

Master

Cracked Plexi

I have a small crack in a plexi crystal which has a tension ring fitted. My question is rather tha fork out for a new armourlite crystal, can the crack be repaired? If so, what can I use.

Thanks.

Craftsman
    Replacement is easier, but if you get super glue and carefully put it in the crack to fill up to the surface, then sand it back flat and polish it up. Superglue has a similar refractive index to perspex and isn't easily visible if done properly.

Do this with the glass out of the watch and completely clean so nothing else is in the crack.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by me32dc View Post
    Replacement is easier, but if you get super glue and carefully put it in the crack to fill up to the surface, then sand it back flat and polish it up. Superglue has a similar refractive index to perspex and isn't easily visible if done properly.

Do this with the glass out of the watch and completely clean so nothing else is in the crack.

Ta very much. I will give that a go.

Grand Master
    Every day's a schoolday.....I wouldn't have thought of trying the superglue trick.

However, if the crystal has to come out surely it makes sense to fit a new one?

Paul

Journeyman

Armoured glass.

A new lens/ glass won't cost much, so easy to get someone to do it, or have a go yourself.
    Go for it.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Definitely wiser to replace. These glasses shrink at the edges over time and once out don't seal properly again.

Sent from my SM-G900F using TZ-UK mobile app

I concur. New crystal will be a few pounds at most. Fitting is a doddle.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    I concur. New crystal will be a few pounds at most. Fitting is a doddle.
    Disagree! If you find it so easy I must be doing something wrong when I fit them.

Sometimes they just don`t want to go in. Even after measuring the original carefully you can end up buying three. They're sold in increments of 0.1mm, I`ve ended up buying the 'correct size' the next one up and the next one down. Find the one that fits snugly. That's why it's easier buying the genuine manufacturers item, but even then I`ve known them be v. tight. Ideally, you keep a stock and you always have the right one to hand, but on my scale it isn`t worth it. Sods law states that you very rarely have the one you want.

Fitting plain acrylic crystals is a whole lot easier, the tension ring crystals can be a challenge. If it goes in using thumb pressure only it's not tight enough and it'll probably leak; Brenden's comment is correct, they do shrink slightly when they're old.

Paul

Master
    The super glue trick did not work at all. If fact it made it worse. I have since ordered a couple of new one's.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
    The super glue trick did not work at all. If fact it made it worse. I have since ordered a couple of new one's.
    I have used it before on irreplaceable ones that can't be custom made as very unusual shapes, I would always replace if possible.

Did you test the glue first? Not all superglues are the same and will have varying RI's and curing finishes.

Do you have a press for fitting the dome?

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    A press is essential

Sent from my SM-G900F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    New acrylic arrived and sitting very pretty in the Roamer. Thanks for all the suggestions.