timefactors watches

Thread: Cracked Plexi

Master

Cracked Plexi

I have a small crack in a plexi crystal which has a tension ring fitted. My question is rather tha fork out for a new armourlite crystal, can the crack be repaired? If so, what can I use.

Thanks.

Journeyman
    Replacement is easier, but if you get super glue and carefully put it in the crack to fill up to the surface, then sand it back flat and polish it up. Superglue has a similar refractive index to perspex and isn't easily visible if done properly.

Do this with the glass out of the watch and completely clean so nothing else is in the crack.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by me32dc View Post
    Replacement is easier, but if you get super glue and carefully put it in the crack to fill up to the surface, then sand it back flat and polish it up. Superglue has a similar refractive index to perspex and isn't easily visible if done properly.

Do this with the glass out of the watch and completely clean so nothing else is in the crack.

Ta very much. I will give that a go.

Grand Master
    Every day's a schoolday.....I wouldn't have thought of trying the superglue trick.

However, if the crystal has to come out surely it makes sense to fit a new one?

Paul