closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Decent bathroom / kitchen suppliers?

Master
    Blog Entries

Decent bathroom / kitchen suppliers?

Evening,

I'm having an extension / house refurb at the minute and have turned my attention to the bathrooms and kitchen. I've started to punt about for prices of units and wondered if there were any recommendations for suppliers?

Not looking to spend an arm and a leg but something that'll see me past Christmas would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

There is a lot of threads on Pistonheads in the forums about kitchens, use the search function and you don't need to be a member.

I have been a manager for Howdens.B and Q,Magnet and Wickes. To tell you who to use would be unfair and biased but what I can say is don't use B and Q.

The IT ranges are shocking and the Cooke and Lewis units just lack quality.After sales is poor also.

Well worth the drive and a visit (no affiliation) we just ordered one after 2 months of looking ad deliberating.

http://www.diy-kitchens.com
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Journeyman
    I would recommend Wickes kitchens.

We installed one last year and cant complain ( 3rd wickes kitchen ive had). They're all a rip off when you consider what they are made from, where ever you buy from make sure you get a good deal.

I have a Howdens account and used a comparable quote from there to get the price down at Wickes. Went from something like 17k down to under 10k with a bit of negotiation..

We got a Ikea kitchen in around 5 years ago, quite happy with it, just don't use their install service, we did and they just sub it out to a local firm who subbed it out again to a independent installer, we got chatting and he was getting paid a small fraction of what I paid Ikea, that galled a lot, lesson learned, did a great job though.

Howdens or Homebase kitchens are well made, may be worth asking the local homebase what's happening. they have been bought by Bunnings and the kitchen suppliers are changing in a couple of months...the missus works for them.

We used Benchmarxs for ours, which is the trade version of Wickes good service and aimed at trade. Think you need to be trade to get a price.

Factory-made chipboard... fine if that's what floats your boat. At my place in London I used some cupboards made to order by the Olive Branch in Wetherby, Yorkshire. Solid wood, made to measure (consider exactly what the word means when people refer to their mass-produced kitchen cupboards as "units"), painted in your choice of Farrow and Ball colours and remarkably good value.

Master
    We used a local firm for the kitchen - design, supply and fit and can't fault it. After sales has been good too for the very few occasions we have needed it. We compared with Howdens, Wickes etc but found we couldn't get the style and range that we wanted. Price was competitive and really good to have it all from one place, including the worktops.

To contrast, we have my mother in laws kitchen done a while back and need up with a B&Q one. Quality is ok, but not great. Design is pure pants and doesn't work well or make good use of the space. Found the same with Wickes when we did my mums kitchen. Quality is better but the design is still not great.

Bathroom wise we used Slough Bathrooms - extnsive range, good prices and range of quality options.

Good luck.

Craftsman
    Whatever you do, don't use kitchen compare to check prices - the guy who owns/runs it has (or had) a desk in the head office of the largest of the DIY retailers........

We fit kitchens and bathrooms,we have accounts at magnet and Howdens,there's not much difference in price and quality,for bathrooms we generally use a company called Plumco which are really a trade company,not really sure if there national,drop me a pm you can use the accounts to get some discount if you like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Well worth the drive and a visit (no affiliation) we just ordered one after 2 months of looking ad deliberating.

I've heard good things about this place!

Reviews seem to back it up

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Master
    After going around most of the suppliers in Nth London. Benchmarx, Howdens, Wicks, B&Q etc we went with Magnet Trade and our builder fitted it. This was mainly as the style/look we wanted was best suited from their range. We sourced the work surface separately from Roma Marble. A glass splashback was later sourced from Deco Glaze again via Magnet as they don't deal direct. That was cheaper than via JL though who also use them. All new appliances I sourced myself elsewhere. The bathroom fittings we got from Chris Stevens and they order in whatever you want.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thank you all. I'll have a punt around those suggested.

Apprentice
    Recently purchased a kitchen from Wren. Highly recommendable, both after sales and quality of kitchen.

Was a bit reluctant initially as i was researching into the company and customer feedback/testimonials weren't great but i took a chance. Have had a few conversations with their customer services after sale and have been quite pleased.

Built some good rapport in the showroom. Off the record, they advised not to use their fitters. (This is where it all goes wrong apparently).

I wasn't afraid to walk away from negotiations to dwell on things. I suggest using this tactic anywhere you end up looking. Its such a competitive, over crowded market. They all know it and eventually prepared to cut a deal.

Bought all bathroom supplies from Wickes or Flush Bathrooms.

Best of luck with your plans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Used a local joiner/fitter that I have used for other work to replace the fronts on some of the existing units and add a fair few new ones. Design was easy as the space gave very little options.
    Has worked out well but as mentioned key thing is to get a decent price. I ended up with B&Q who had a 40% sale on then managed to get another 20% through and uncles trade account. Made it very reasonable in the end.

Craftsman

Decent bathroom / kitchen suppliers?

I have just ordered a kitchen from these people, my brother is a kitchen fitter and highly recommended them, and being as he's fitting it, seems the sensible thing

Had a quick look at the reviews as well and seemed all in order

27 units £3700, don't know if it's cheap or not but was less than Wren quoted and that's for a solid wood unit painted in the colour of your choice pretty much

However the money comes in when you add the new appliances, glass splashback all the way round the kitchen, granite tops, new lights, Amtico, boiling water tap, move the boiler.....

Www.kitchencollection.co.uk

Craftsman
    For bathrooms in Leeds I use City Plumbing.
    I would imagine there are plenty of branches in the south as they are owned by Travis Perkins.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Factory-made chipboard... fine if that's what floats your boat. At my place in London I used some cupboards made to order by the Olive Branch in Wetherby, Yorkshire. Solid wood, made to measure (consider exactly what the word means when people refer to their mass-produced kitchen cupboards as "units"), painted in your choice of Farrow and Ball colours and remarkably good value.
    This sounds like just the kind of thing I'd be interested in for my house in London as I wasn't happy with the quality of Wren at my last place and the fact that you are stuck with standard size units. Could you possibly give a rough idea of cost and do you have any photos? PM is fine if you prefer, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post

We are just having one installed from their Luca range. Look good quality for the price. As good quality as some far more expensive German stuff.

Their show room is very good - and if you are lucky, you may get a free lunch....

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    This sounds like just the kind of thing I'd be interested in for my house in London as I wasn't happy with the quality of Wren at my last place and the fact that you are stuck with standard size units. Could you possibly give a rough idea of cost and do you have any photos? PM is fine if you prefer, thanks.
    Good evening Sir,

I'm an appalling photographer and overseas for the next 3 weeks but a cursory sift through my phone has found a few not-very-good pics which I will happily WhatsApp or iMessage to you if you PM me a phone number.

The flat is an occasional-use pied a terre so it only has a small kitchen but it has to be functional as I like to cook. It has an extra-deep Belfast sink cupboard with two large undersurface cupboards either side, and a run of 3 floor cupboards with a dresser-top affair above comprising a pair of wall cupboards and shelves/ small drawers between. Worktops are sealed thick pine.

For a regular use kitchen I'd not use the pine tops, I have iroko worktops in another home which are miles better. But then at my place in Malta the kitchens were handmade by a local carpenter/joiner with a corresponding step up in quality and price.

For the little kitchen in London I got change from £3k including delivery, around 4 years ago. I was happy with that.

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by josep View Post
    We are just having one installed from their Luca range. Look good quality for the price. As good quality as some far more expensive German stuff.

Their show room is very good - and if you are lucky, you may get a free lunch....
    Most impressed with the range and quality - we managed free drinks and croissants - they also had a sale on so we got 10% discount.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........