closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Upscaling Bluray Player - Yes or no

Craftsman

Upscaling Bluray Player - Yes or no

We're about to upgrade our TV to a 4k model and I'm going to need a Bluray player. The question is do I need to pay for an upscale or not. Two shops I've been to say yes, the player will upscale and the TV will then "fill in" to maximise the quality with its up scaling technology. Another shop told me not to bother, let the TV do the upscaling and buy a cheap player or if I really want quality buy a 4k player and play 4k discs.

So I'm a bit confused and any advice appreciated

I was always under the opinion that a TV will do a better job of upscalling. So my advice is not to bother with an upscalling bluray player.

I have no real evidence to substantiate this, just personal preference.

Master
    Its a tricky thing to answer . The process is the same whether the player or the TV does it . There are few technical idiosyncracies as to whether if its done in the player the flaging is then correct on the output to ensure the Tv doesn't further mess with the image.

Also the output and input colorspace and chroma subsampling ratio is important .

Ultimately if you are into this stuff enough you will do some research and probably buy a new TV and player.

I am into this and I still have a 1080p plasma and BD player. When I go bigger (again) I'l probably be more concerened about HDR than resolution .

I bought a 4K LG OLED before Christmas and have kept my old blu-ray player, relying on the TV to upscale. It's worked fine. Do you already have a blu-ray player? If you do, use that initially. If not, buy a cheap one from Amazon and try it out. If you don't like it, you can always send it back.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I bought a 4K LG OLED before Christmas and have kept my old blu-ray player, relying on the TV to upscale. It's worked fine. Do you already have a blu-ray player? If you do, use that initially. If not, buy a cheap one from Amazon and try it out. If you don't like it, you can always send it back.
    I don't at the moment current TV is HD ready !! Good plan thanks for that

I guess it will depend on what tv you have bought, if its at the lower price bracket it won't make a lot of difference v a good 1080p set, but if you bought a top of the range set with all the bells and whistles it will pay to buy a 4k bluray player.
    I have a full backlight array Panasonic dx902 and it makes full use of 4k discs.

Same question second time around! This is what people were asking with upscaling DVD players when HD TV came out about 15 years ago. The TV will upscale everything anyway (probably with better silicon to do it) so probably no point in getting a budget player to do a worse job. A 4k TV will not upscale a 4k input signal, but it can process it to make it look better (if you buy good quality TV of course).
    My 4k Sony makes DVDs look much better than expected, but thats because Sony TVs generally have good quality processing for any image. Samsung are probably as good these days though.

Craftsman
    I went through this dilemma a couple of months ago. Got a good deal and went for an upscaler DVD player, also consider the number of connections and other good reviews such as cd play back for music etc.

I do notice a slight difference in quality but we also got a new TV 4K as well, so that might have made some differences. Hard to tell and very subjective. Old DVD films do seem better in playback.

Apart from reading up and watching reviews I went out and looked at the kit I was interested in. Not that easy to test quality but you get a better idea of the quality of the items.

I was also keen to get a better sound system but both of us didn't want the hybrid of speakers, in fact that was a no, no for her. But at Xmas, well before, as I wanted her to agree the better sound Or return I got a Panasonic sound box about £120 and looks nice. The reviews online were mixed and I'm into fairly good hifi but very pleased with the sound box for films and to a certain extent music. Certainly more powerful than the TV speakers but not overpowering.

Hope this helps. Good luck as its a bit of a nightmare as it seemed to me less mags dealing with this stuff so the Internet is the main option. If it helps your quest I found the Panasonic options the best and I'm happy with the results. Oh, I have no relationship with the makers or sellers, just my experience. Good luck.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by Naesuk; 18th February 2017 at 17:20.

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the suggestions. However went for a final look at a new TV with higher management yesterday and decided we weren't wowed enough to replace the current set, given the type of stuff we watch. I don't think it helped I watched last night's game on BT Sport and the picture on our current telly was pretty good. I guess it's a bit like when you read car reviews which say this is the real McCoy but after a test drive you don't really feel the love, even if the perceived wisdom is against you.

However if anyone is looking to buy quickly I was offered a Samsung 49ks7000 plus the Samsung UHD player with 5yrs warranty on the TV for £849 from Hughes TV & Audio if it helps

Quote Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions. However went for a final look at a new TV with higher management yesterday and decided we weren't wowed enough to replace the current set, given the type of stuff we watch. I don't think it helped I watched last night's game on BT Sport and the picture on our current telly was pretty good. I guess it's a bit like when you read car reviews which say this is the real McCoy but after a test drive you don't really feel the love, even if the perceived wisdom is against you.

However if anyone is looking to buy quickly I was offered a Samsung 49ks7000 plus the Samsung UHD player with 5yrs warranty on the TV for £849 from Hughes TV & Audio if it helps
    Thats not a bad deal, but it's worth noting that there's not a big difference in 1080p and 4K performance at that screen size, 4K comes in to it's own as the screen size goes up.

Craftsman
    The TV will upscale, so for me it would be a 4K player or a cheap one, not an upscaling one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk