closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Polished concrete floors

Craftsman

Polished concrete floors

Does anyone have any experience of installing polished concrete doors in their house?
    We are completely refurbing (back to brick) our kitchen/living/dining room and are considering polished concrete floooring with wet Under floor heating.
    Interested to know of people's experience and rough idea on cost (we are looking about 40sq metres of floor.)
    Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Ive done a few, but not for a while, for the slab,not prep,insulation and UFH i think 6k nett vat sealed. its been a while.Poured in one hit.

Journeyman
    Interestingly i've always edged away from concreting over UFH systems, generally it's either a dry mix or propriatry screed (both having no course agrigates acting as binders). My only concern would be cracks from thermal expansion on large areas, which if your polishing will be highly visible, the way around would be to put thicker concrete (which would take longer to warm up, or use glass fibre reinforced concrete, though I don't know how that will affect the finish...

Regards

Richard

Wouldn't expansion joints be the answer to the cracking risk?

Here in Malta one of the traditional floor finishes is encaustic cement tiles- often using coloured cement and involving intricate patterns. I have several such floors and I would urge you not to underestimate how much more work they are to seal and maintain compared to hard porcelain tiles. The same will apply to any cement based floor. They stain easily which may be fine if you are looking for an "industrial" appearance but less so if you want it to look clean and pristine.

An alternative you might want to consider which may be an easier proposition compared to a poured floor over underfloor heating is polished terrazzo tiles. Actually one of the biggest suppliers is here in Malta- HalMann, whose customers include Transport For London (you'll see their tiles on the floor of Woolwich Arsenal DLR station for example). They are very hard wearing and depending on colour of cement and aggregates can give that polished concrete look, albeit with grout lines. Personally I'd prefer the grout lines to cracking but that's just my OCD!

Craftsman
    Thanks for the replies, I think I'm edging towards tiles, but will look for large concrete tiles based on the responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk