closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Booking a trip to New York

Journeyman

Booking a trip to New York

I know some of you have been to New York from reading various previous threads about recomendations for places to stay and things to do. Now it is many years since I last went to the USA and as there is a significant birthday coming soon I am looking at booking a long weekend for me and the other half.
    I was wondering who you booked with? Did you use someone like Virgin or did you use something like Expedia or similar to book? Tbh the missus usually deals with booking holidays and hotel stays etc but as I want to surprise her I do not want to let the cat out of the bag by asking questions about who she usually books with.
    The last time I did something similar I used Thomas Cook, but thought they were quite expensive. I could have saved money by booking the flights and hotel directly but as I am lazy I took the easy option and just walked in and asked them to sort everything out.
    My thinking this time is the more I save on the flight and hotel the more we will have for excurions, sightseeing and goodies etc.
    Any tips and pointers will be greatly appreciated, thanks

Went a few years ago for my birthday, booked flights with BA, and hotel with Expedia from recollection. Got Quidco cash back with the hotel booking which was worth having.

Stopped at the Andaz on 5th. Highly recommend the place if you like small boutique type hotels, complimentary wine at 6pm as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Last two times used Expedia and then booking.com for both flights and hotels

Craftsman
    I booked separate Virgin flights (trying to make use of miles to not much avail!!), then booked to stay in the Soho Grand hotel which is a cracking hotel.

If I was going for the first time again (not possible), then I might have stayed closer towards Central Park, as I seemed to spend a lot of time 'uptown'.

Greenwich village was great for craft ales, pizzas and comedy night, very pubby and Soho was great for shopping and people watching.
    All the best,
    James

Master
    I would just see what Virgin etc are quoting for a package you like and then see if you can get something better as a combined deal with Expedia or similar. The first time I went it was with a Virgin package IIRC and last time I arranged it independently.

Also worth doing a Skyscanner search for flights and then looking at the hotel only sites as can work out cheaper that way.

I've been quite a few times, most recently I booked with Southall Travel. They were a lot cheaper than the big boys.

In my younger days I stopped at the Pod 51, which had very small (but very clean) rooms.

I've also stayed at the Paramount which was, meh.

In November I stayed at the Langham, which was fantastic. So well located, too.

Journeyman
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Just what I thought, I will look at packages and then compare with booking seperate flights and hotels. I will have to review the previous New York threads and compare hotels and locations.
    Once again thanks for the replies!

Master
    Booked our trip there through Trailfinders and very satisfied with them, they seem to be one of the few tour operators that are knowledgeable about destinations. Highly recommended, especially if you have a branch near you, although they're equally as enthusiastic over the phone if not.

http://www.trailfinders.com

I'd always go to Expedia/Kayak just for the price options.
    There's a ballpark price if you choose the option.
    Flying and buying in NY isn't as good as it used to be.
    Good luck.

Blog Entries
    My wife is off to NY in April. United Airlines' business class from Amsterdam to NY is silly cheap: less than 600 € more for the total trip both ways. She uses AirBnB for an appartment near Central Park. Near Times Square quite a few nice tourist hotels

Craftsman
    I booked flights and hotel from BA (seperatley). Got a cracking deal on the intercontinental berkely, recently refurbished and great location

I always use Skyscanner, kayak then compare with Expedia who do a bit more discount when you book flight and hotel together. If using BA and youre not fixed on dates + - a day or two then prices vary a lot. BA site shows the prices over a week. Last time we went stayed at the Knickerbocker on Times Square, Good location, hotel disapointing tbh. Enjoy

Craftsman
    My advice would be to stay 5-10 mins walk from Times Square for best location. I personally hated time square itself, everyone is just harassing you trying to rip you off.

Craftsman
    Our first stop is always Expedia, never had a any problems.
    Sometimes we book everything through them but we have just booked up for a weekend in Nice and found that the flights were cheaper through Expedia but the hotel was cheaper direct. Expedia gives you a starting point.
    We always pre book our airport transfers and excursions through viator.com and again never had a problem.

Enjoy your trip and if you find the Mid Town top end restaurants a bit pricey head over to Hell's Kitchen where there are some great eateries.