closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: AP repair advice needed

Hybrid View

AP repair advice needed

The crown and stem on my AP diver decided to detach itself from the watch this morning. I asked Watchfinder if they could fix it, only because I am in Maidstone this afternoon. Their response is that, as it's an AP, it needs to go back to AP and they can't help. Which kind of gets me wondering why they advertise themselves as being an authorised AP service centre!
    Anyway, does anyone know if this is a simple fix or will AP insist on the sale of a vital organ to fund a full service of a watch which has always had impeccable timekeeping? Also, any alternative recommendations to going back to AP? Many thanks.
    Last edited by Danstone; 17th February 2017 at 16:47.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    The crown and stem on my AP diver decided to detach itself from the watch this morning. I asked Watchfinder if they could fix it, only because I am in Maidstone this afternoon. Their response is that, as it's an AP, it needs to go back to AP and they can't help. Which kind of gets me wondering why they advertise themselves as being an authorised AP service centre!
    Anyway, does anyone know if this is a simple fix or will AP insist on the sale of a vital organ to fund a full service of a watch which has always had impeccable timekeeping? Also, any alternative recommendations to going back to AP? Many thanks.
    Yeah and on the AP website watchfinder is listed as a service centre!!

Fingers crossed that the stem has just come loose and it just needs putting back in and the securing crew tightening. I'd personally take it back to the AP service department in London just off Bond St. Ring first though as its appointment only.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Yeah and on the AP website watchfinder is listed as a service centre!!
    Which leads me to wonder what it actually takes to become an authorised AP service centre. I would have thought that an AP certified watchmaker, the correct polishing equipment, and a parts account would be a necessity. It seems that Watchfinder must fall short on at least one of these if they can't even perform a simple repair "due to the complexity of the watch".

Anyway, the watch will soon be winging its way to trusty Brendan.

Grand Master
    Maybe give AP London a quick email, they used to have a watch repairer on site who could do minor stuff, if it does require a return to Switzerland at least you've handed it over there, and yes it will probably cost a fortune if that option occurs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    Maybe give AP London a quick email, they used to have a watch repairer on site who could do minor stuff, if it does require a return to Switzerland at least you've handed it over there, and yes it will probably cost a fortune if that option occurs.
    If you wanna send it to AP, contact the AP service centre in London, they are fantastic to deal with.

Blowers have a very good watchmaker who can potentially do this. They looked at my AP diver (date wheel issue) but decided ultimately it needed to go back to AP but apparently their guy will fix "routine" issues.

Might be worth a try?

Craftsman
    Same thing happens to my rose gold 44mm, the whole stem just came out, I delivers it back to AP in London there was a guy called Allister very helpful,but I believe he has left now, any way it went back to AP took about 8 weeks as it needs pressure testing after the repair, fortunately mine was under warranty as it was only 6 months old, so I would recom you take it there.
    Good luck
    Tony