timefactors watches
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: AP repair advice needed

  1. #1

    AP repair advice needed

    The crown and stem on my AP diver decided to detach itself from the watch this morning. I asked Watchfinder if they could fix it, only because I am in Maidstone this afternoon. Their response is that, as it's an AP, it needs to go back to AP and they can't help. Which kind of gets me wondering why they advertise themselves as being an authorised AP service centre!
    Anyway, does anyone know if this is a simple fix or will AP insist on the sale of a vital organ to fund a full service of a watch which has always had impeccable timekeeping? Also, any alternative recommendations to going back to AP? Many thanks.
    Last edited by Danstone; 17th February 2017 at 16:47.

  2. #2
    Master kaiserphoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    London-Islington
    Posts
    3,417
    Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    The crown and stem on my AP diver decided to detach itself from the watch this morning. I asked Watchfinder if they could fix it, only because I am in Maidstone this afternoon. Their response is that, as it's an AP, it needs to go back to AP and they can't help. Which kind of gets me wondering why they advertise themselves as being an authorised AP service centre!
    Anyway, does anyone know if this is a simple fix or will AP insist on the sale of a vital organ to fund a full service of a watch which has always had impeccable timekeeping? Also, any alternative recommendations to going back to AP? Many thanks.
    Yeah and on the AP website watchfinder is listed as a service centre!!

  3. #3
    Fingers crossed that the stem has just come loose and it just needs putting back in and the securing crew tightening. I'd personally take it back to the AP service department in London just off Bond St. Ring first though as its appointment only.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Yeah and on the AP website watchfinder is listed as a service centre!!
    Which leads me to wonder what it actually takes to become an authorised AP service centre. I would have thought that an AP certified watchmaker, the correct polishing equipment, and a parts account would be a necessity. It seems that Watchfinder must fall short on at least one of these if they can't even perform a simple repair "due to the complexity of the watch".

    Anyway, the watch will soon be winging its way to trusty Brendan.

  5. #5
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    11,462
    Maybe give AP London a quick email, they used to have a watch repairer on site who could do minor stuff, if it does require a return to Switzerland at least you've handed it over there, and yes it will probably cost a fortune if that option occurs.

  6. #6
    Master kaiserphoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    London-Islington
    Posts
    3,417
    Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    Maybe give AP London a quick email, they used to have a watch repairer on site who could do minor stuff, if it does require a return to Switzerland at least you've handed it over there, and yes it will probably cost a fortune if that option occurs.
    If you wanna send it to AP, contact the AP service centre in London, they are fantastic to deal with.

  7. #7
    Master tiny73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Back in Blighty
    Posts
    2,196
    Blowers have a very good watchmaker who can potentially do this. They looked at my AP diver (date wheel issue) but decided ultimately it needed to go back to AP but apparently their guy will fix "routine" issues.

    Might be worth a try?

  8. #8
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Worthing, England
    Posts
    1,603
    Thats bad news, hope you get it fixed at a sensible price.

    Have you had it long? Will it be 'due' a service soon, if so it might be worth letting AP return to as new.

  9. #9
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Guildford
    Posts
    418
    Same thing happens to my rose gold 44mm, the whole stem just came out, I delivers it back to AP in London there was a guy called Allister very helpful,but I believe he has left now, any way it went back to AP took about 8 weeks as it needs pressure testing after the repair, fortunately mine was under warranty as it was only 6 months old, so I would recom you take it there.
    Good luck
    Tony

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •