closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Longines Legend Diver

Longines Legend Diver

Perhaps not the most vintage watch, but exceptionally iconic.. really interested in buying one, any thoughts on the watch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by scucivolo View Post
    Perhaps not the most vintage watch, but exceptionally iconic.. really interested in buying one, any thoughts on the watch?

I love mine. I always come back to it. You'll hear people talk about the lugs being long, which is about the only criticism you tend to read (other than the date window on the newer ones). Some people don't like the strap it comes with, but I like it although I wear mine in a USM NATO. I don't have massive wrists but it fits me just right.

Master
    As above, lug to lug is V long, makes the watch feel more like 44mm than the 42mm it actually is in my experience. The sailcloth strap looks and feels great but frays and shows wear very very quickly. Not sorry I got one but I don't really miss it either. The gloss dial and internal bezel look great but I began to feel that the bezel was a bit plasticy after a while.

I've got one on order at the moment following a failed attempt at buying an older model - ignore anything said about the old strap, all new models come with a waterproof rubberised strap that is miles better than the original sailcloth style one. Personally I love the versatility of the watch, it dresses both up and down but I certainly wouldn't consider it a watch to do diving with due to the lack of lume. However, I think it's an excellent allrounder that if you're after something in the £1k range is tough to beat. Have a browse of google image search for ideas of the different combinations you can pull off, but as mentioned it does have very long lugs (52mm) so you need to bear that in mind. I had no problems on a 7.25" wrist, but mine are particularly flat.

Craftsman
    I wasn't keen when I first saw the Baselworld photos but then one Friday in the weekly Friday thread someone posted a photo of theirs in just the right light and then I felt like I had to go and try one on. I popped into my local Goldsmiths that afternoon and tried one on, and sure enough it was lovely and comfortable and well styled. Worth £1400? I'm not so sure.

Craftsman
    Friend had one I he let me try it on for a bit, it was really pushing it on 7'' wrist, on his 7.5-8'' wrist looked absolutely perfect. Other than that truly beautiful and unique watch.
    AFAIK, the only complaint he had was that his sleeves tended to turn the crown for rotating the internal bezel, I don't know if that's common or not.

Quote Originally Posted by doebag View Post
    Worth £1400? I'm not so sure.
    Yeah, don't pay list on this - I've got mine for £1100 at 20% off ahead of the expected 5% increase coming next week on Swatch group brands. You can pick them up used at around £800ish.

Quote Originally Posted by caye031 View Post
    Friend had one I he let me try it on for a bit, it was really pushing it on 7'' wrist, on his 7.5-8'' wrist looked absolutely perfect. Other than that truly beautiful and unique watch.
    AFAIK, the only complaint he had was that his sleeves tended to turn the crown for rotating the internal bezel, I don't know if that's common or not.
    Maybe if it's been unscrewed but it does screw down.

I paid £1100 when they first came out. As said above, it's so versatile, looks great under a cuff or with a T shirt. Well worth the money I think.

Craftsman
    I had one but the parallax of the bezel and the dial really kicked my OCD in and couldn't stick it. Shame, as it was a fun watch and is one I miss.

Master
    This is mine - good VFM, and nice to try on different straps

Master
    I've had two of them in the past, with and without the date. The things that irked me were the bezel rotating on its own accord and the hands looked to be stamped poorly, i.e. they had slightly furry edges when viewed up close. Other than that, it hasn't stopped me from considering another....

Ant

Master
    Never had any problem with the bezel moving once I have screwed down the second crown to stop it

I believe there were instances of the bezel moving itself if the wrist took a knock - I'm sure I've seen a video of someone hitting their hand against a sofa to demonstrate the shift. I don't believe it's a problem with the current iteration, though. Sorry for so many posts, just been doing my research on them recently prior to buying so have trawled all the historic threads on the major forums!

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    That strap looks amazing!! nice touch :)

I'm glad to see that so many of you guys actually love this watch, now more than ever, i want to own one! what you guys think of the movement? i know longines uses ETA being part of the swatch group.. but i heard that longines "tweak" them to some extend

Master
    I'm glad to see that so many of you guys actually love this watch, now more than ever, i want to own one! what you guys think of the movement? i know longines uses ETA being part of the swatch group.. but i heard that longines "tweak" them to some extend

The tweak will be an engraved rotor and that is about it, not to say ETA is a bad choice. Indeed now Swatch have stopped supplying micro brands you could argue it is a plus on exclusivity grounds! In reality you are getting last gen Omega SMP tech at a similar price to the SMP in 2006-8. Longines has been placed in the market where Omega was 10 years ago before it shunted its prices up market by 50%

Nice strap. What is it and where did you get it please?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by halfpasttwothirty View Post
    Nice strap. What is it and where did you get it please?
    This is the Di-Modell Chronissimo.
    I got it from eBay, but easily available elsewhere

I've never owned one, but I think they are really cool looking watches.

I tried one on once and liked it, but not enough to buy at the time (To be honest, I was fairly idly browsing on a bored Sunday afternoon and more interested in one of their multiple complication watches at the time).

Some people find the thin, pressed hands a bit cheap looking, but that seems to be a bit of a Longines 'thing' as my Hydroconquest is the same.

M

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Some people find the thin, pressed hands a bit cheap looking, but that seems to be a bit of a Longines 'thing' as my Hydroconquest is the same.

M
    The hands are the only thing I don't love and that's what's stopped me a few times before no.

This one was mine. Wonderful watch which was looking good on many different straps. Quality and timekeeping was excellent, the only thing that bugged me was the misalignment of the inner bezel. I have noticed that on other examples as as well, date and no-date. Could not understand why Longines did not get that straight. Sold it partly because of that.

Journeyman
    I really like my no date version and it does get a lot of wear.
    As a few of the previous posters have said it does seem to dress up or down easily.
    It also seems to be complimented by a variety of straps.

Quote Originally Posted by Retep View Post

This one was mine. Wonderful watch which was looking good on many different straps. Quality and timekeeping was excellent, the only thing that bugged me was the misalignment of the inner bezel. I have noticed that on other examples as as well, date and no-date. Could not understand why Longines did not get that straight. Sold it partly because of that.
    When you say it doesn't align, you mean is genuinely misaligned or is it just a parallax effect?

When you say it doesn't align, you mean is genuinely misaligned or is it just a parallax effect?

My no date is aligned perfectly and I don't notice any parallax unless I'm looking at it from a really odd angle where it would be impossible not to have parallax error unless it was the same height as the face - unless I'm missing something!

I love my Legend.

I find it a classic cool diver. Among my favourites.

I find this review from WatchPaper spot on

http://www.watchpaper.com/2014/07/31...gets-reviewed/

Quote Originally Posted by sfl1979 View Post
    I love my Legend.

I find it a classic cool diver. Among my favourites.

I find this review from WatchPaper spot on

http://www.watchpaper.com/2014/07/31...gets-reviewed/
    I quite like the review, the guy sounds biased, but, how not to be if you owned one!

most of all i liked the term modern-retro.. i often find myself untested in this new-old pieces.. thanks for posting this review

This is the Di-Modell Chronissimo.
    I got it from eBay, but easily available elsewhere
    Thanks mate.

Master
    Just be aware that the Di-Modell Chronissimo comes in two length sizes, medium and short, the medium is quite long and you might find that the short is a better fitting strap, especially taking into account the length of the Longines.

Genuinely misaligned. When I put the triangle exactly on 12, the misalignment would show strongest at the 7 and 8 o'clock markers. To correct this I would put the triangle just a little after 12 o'clock so the misalignment was about even at all the markers.
    Last edited by Retep; 1st March 2017 at 12:29.

Here is another picture of the Legend Diver I had. The misalignment is clearly visible as the the triangle is now at 12 o'clock and the markers at 1 and 2 o'clock are spot on, and at 7 and 8 o'clock are off.

Quote Originally Posted by inthered View Post
    Just be aware that the Di-Modell Chronissimo comes in two length sizes, medium and short, the medium is quite long and you might find that the short is a better fitting strap, especially taking into account the length of the Longines.
    I have a Birkenstock strap which is very (like very!) similar to the Chronissimo design. A fair bit cheaper and the leather is very good quality too. Came from ebay somewhere....

Master
    Genuinely misaligned. When I put the triangle exactly on 12, the misalignment would show strongest at the 7 and 8 o'clock markers. To correct this I would put the triangle just a little after 12 o'clock so the misalignment was about even at all the markers.
    I had the exact same issue with mine, which was a shame as I liked the watch a great deal. The time keeping wasn't great on mine at around 10 seconds per day and the inner bezel used to move if I wore the watch when I was practicing on my drums.

Here is another picture of the Legend Diver I had. The misalignment is clearly visible as the the triangle is now at 12 o'clock and the markers at 1 and 2 o'clock are spot on, and at 7 and 8 o'clock are off.
    Thanks for posting the picture, and yes i'm amazed by how visible and clear the problem is.. i cannot understand how they managed to misjudge it so much

Yeah that's not great - maybe it affected some batches but they aren't all like that. My bezel doesn't move either.