closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: An old Hamilton watch which is damaged - advice

Journeyman

An old Hamilton watch which is damaged - advice

Hi

I have an old Hamilton which was bought as a gift many years ago. Soon after receiving it, it stopped.

Having just sent it to Hamilton for repair, they have informed me that they are unable to repair the watch as they cannot source the original parts.

Walking into a local watch shop, they informed me it could be around £100 to repair and I expect they won't use original parts.

Is it worth repairing?
    If it is £100 or £150 to repair, surely there are better watches to spend that money on?

Thanks
    Nick

Sent while on the move

The pictures haven't come up on my computer, how old is the Hamilton?

If it's a Hamilton Electric then Paul at Electric Watches is your man.

Journeyman
    Sorry for the poor photos

No, it's a manual I believe

Sent while on the move

Grand Master
    I find it incredible how people don' t ask for clarification when told something can't be repaired. I would want to know exactly what was wrong with the watch and why it couldn't be fixed; if this is a mechanical watch (OP doesn't seem sure!) it is highly likely it can be sorted out. However, this could be a load of hassle if parts have to be tracked down and some repairers won't want to get involved. Chasing parts takes time, time us money, it's unrealistic to expect someone to fix it cheaply if that's the case.

OP hasn't stated the age of the watch; that tends to have a bearing on these things!

Paul

I would guess mid 60s from the style and hand wound, without seeing the movement I have no idea on parts availability though.
    OP I don't mind having a look at the watch for you to see if we can't get a better idea of what is wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by nick w View Post
    Hi

I have an old Hamilton which was bought as a gift many years ago. Soon after receiving it, it stopped.

Having just sent it to Hamilton for repair, they have informed me that they are unable to repair the watch as they cannot source the original parts.

Walking into a local watch shop, they informed me it could be around £100 to repair and I expect they won't use original parts.

Is it worth repairing?
    If it is £100 or £150 to repair, surely there are better watches to spend that money on?

Thanks
    Nick

Sent while on the move
    The value of the watch is not fixed. In this instance, the facts that it's a vintage piece and that it was a present potentially add worth from your perspective. If, for you, they don't - and that's entirely your call - then yes there are better ways of spending your money.

From the one photo, the dial appears to be in good condition, so I would imagine that the chances of your finding someone who would give you something for it are high, especially if the watch is over 35mm wide. The money you've saved by not repairing it plus whatever you get for selling it will give you enough to buy a used modern mechanical which won't have any issues at all.

The money spent on repairs sometimes can be recouped when selling the watch, but I think those are exceptions? Probably depends on the brand I once bought a watch for £25, spent £100 on repairs, and sold it for £40, so from a financial point of view it was a waste of time. But it taught me that no one really wants a 33mm Seiko working or not....

PS is the case gold plated? And if so, how is the gold plating holding up?
    Last edited by Der Amf; 16th February 2017 at 10:21.

Journeyman
    Hi everyone

Please forgive my lack of watch knowledge.

Firstly. Thanks for all the feedback.

I have taken some more photos to help get some more information on my watch and what to do

I have taken some more photos to help.

I also tried to open the back but was unable to. To be fair I expected it to screw on, I couldn't unscrew it and expected there to be a tool to do the correctly

What's the best way to opening the back? I was worried about using too much force

Thanks
    Nick

Sent while on the move

Journeyman
    Animalone, very kind of you to offer. I'd be happy for you to have a look, I'm in Essex so happy to swing by.

Thanks
    Nick

Sent while on the move

Well to me that is worth fixing, pretty certain that will have a good movement inside.

Quote Originally Posted by nick w View Post
    Animalone, very kind of you to offer. I'd be happy for you to have a look, I'm in Essex so happy to swing by.

Thanks
    Nick

Sent while on the move
    "Happy to swing by" to Edinburgh!!! If you really want to its fine by me
    Post might be easier for you.

The case isn't too bad from the pictures, plating is worn through in a couple of places (edges of lugs and next to the crown) but most of the tarnish on the rest of the case should clean up quite easily.
    Overall it doesn't look too bad for its age, I think you would be really unlucky if the watch needed any major work (A lot of the brands automatically turn down watches over a certain age for repair so don't worry too much about Hamilton sending it back)
    Last edited by animalone; 16th February 2017 at 21:24.

Blog Entries
    Personally I'd pay to get that repaired. It's a nice watch by the looks of it. At the end of it I reckon it might be worth £100-£200 (higher end on a good day) but, to my mind and because I like watches, worth it.

Grand Master
    Cleaning the case, followed a by a very light polish with a rouge cloth, would work wonders for it. well worth resurrecting from the look of things.

Paul

Journeyman
    Ok. So it's a repair.

Thanks everyone.

Sent while on the move