closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cycling to Works Starts Again Next Week

Cycling to Works Starts Again Next Week

Looks like my winter cycling to work lull maybe over, given it's 12-14C and dry in the SE next week, and mornings are now getting lighter.

Hoping to lose the winter puppy fat and get back to my summer fighting weight.

Anyone else?

I was having the same conversation with a colleague this morning. He's going to start cycling again next week on similar grounds. I must be lucky as my bike works in both the dark and the wet.
    As it happens, that's not relevant as I live within walking distance or work.

Me too I'll start cycling again soon. Mine too works in the cold, dark and wet but unfortunately I don't - I've fallen off a couple of times this last autumn and I don't seem to bounce any more; picked up some nasty injuries.

Craftsman
    If you read my recent post about commuting by motorbike, you may have seen that I have decided to cycle instead. I expect to be cycling at least 20 miles per day, probably 2 or 3 times a week starting next week.

I am just back from a 15 mile shakedown ride after setting my CX bike up with road tyres and mudguards ready for next week.

I have been riding regularly over the winter, riding solo and on club rides every weekend bar three. In fact, due to the very mild winter this year, I have without doubt covered my pb winter miles.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Looks like my winter cycling to work lull maybe over, given it's 12-14C and dry in the SE next week, and mornings are now getting lighter.

Hoping to lose the winter puppy fat and get back to my summer fighting weight.

Anyone else?
    Oh no you fair weather buggers are going to fill up the bike sheds at work. I was enjoying my put it where I want experience!

As an aside, I am purchasing my new daily commute, should be with me middle of March:

Cube Editor 2017
    Gates Drive
    Alfine 11
    11.6kg

Craftsman
    Pussies, I've been riding mine all winter!

Having said that it has been a mild one this year.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvWatch View Post
    As an aside, I am purchasing my new daily commute, should be with me middle of March:

Cube Editor 2017
    Gates Drive
    Alfine 11
    11.6kg

That looks very quick, simplicity of enclosed gears, reduced chain wear. Enjoy

Hmm, I've opposite, I've been riding to work approx 20k each way 2-3 times a week since October, in April thou I will have to stop because it will be too hot.
    Them's the breaks I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post

But wet. Which is the worst as I'm boiling in my waterproofs. Certainly looking forward to some dry and warmer days.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    But wet. Which is the worst as I'm boiling in my waterproofs. Certainly looking forward to some dry and warmer days.
    That why I went Gore jacket this year. Couldn't face the sauna associated with a glorified bin bag over me.

Usually silly money, but with the Jan sales with a cyclescheme voucher, it meant the cost to me was around 25% of RRP.

Blog Entries
    3x week on a good old fashioned Dutch city bike; a RIH.

Rih produces hand built bikes. These models are fitted with more or less off the shelf parts, but all 'higher grade' parts. Rih is also known for their artisan, one off bikes - mostly used on Velodromes.

The workshop in Amsterdam (site in English): http://rihsport.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post

Really? I have really struggled to commute a couple of times this winter, - maybe its old age!

On the other hand, I am looking forward to warmer mornings and not worry about ice.

Its also nice to be able to run the canal path on the way home (well halfway) so away from the roads.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    No chain on this bike, so no wear or rust

http://www.gatescarbondrive.com/

Craftsman
    Yup, I'm back on it next week.

I would have been on it earlier but my route involves 5 miles of canal towpath which has only just been rebuilt due to severe flood damage. I'm not a fan of riding on the road, especially in such a rural location as this due to the terrible roads and lack of street lighting, although I still have to do several miles of road before I reach the tow path.

Master

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    That looks like a great bike. I wish my commute didn't involve negotiating some of the most dangerous roads in Birmingham which is why it's car only for me. Club rides at the weekend and turbo in the garage for me

Craftsman

funnily enough

I was considering the same thing, had an injury to my achilles/calf the other week which seems to be taking an age to settle down to the point where walking the dog was uncomfortable so broke out the cycle and realised I quite enjoy it again. I don't look good in lycra though!!

After the whole winter off, that was a bit tougher than expected

Blog Entries
    No chain on this bike, so no wear or rust

http://www.gatescarbondrive.com/
    One of my boys has a bike with a 'propshaft' Works like a dream:

That looks an interesting innovation - now changing the chain on my current bike, after a few weeks of rain it is past its best. Also the weather here is lovely and warm

Master
    Blog Entries
    Been riding my 10yo carrera mtb through the winter but not when its been chucking it down. Only 12mile a day though so pretty easy.

Blog Entries
    That looks an interesting innovation - now changing the chain on my current bike, after a few weeks of rain it is past its best. Also the weather here is lovely and warm

Here's the website - only in Dutch. http://brikfietsen.nl

The prop works with two angled drives. When riding the bike there's hardly any difference between the 'feel' of a chain driven bike and a 'prop' bike. Perhaps the idea is that the prop bike gives a more 'direct' feel when you put pressure on the pedals. Having said that: I think that the prop weighs a little more than a chain.

A YT movie

Looking at the end of that video it obviously allows you to free wheel; have they combined it with a dreaded coaster brake?