closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Gold Rolex: Is there a 'lead in time'?

Gold Rolex: Is there a 'lead in time'?

Gents,

Long story short I'm steadily approaching 50 and I'll be 'consolidating' some of my collection and effectively treating myself to a white gold Rolex, probably a Blue Sub' or a Pepsi GMT.

I know I can ring round the AD's but just wondered if anyone on here would know....

Are these models 'hard to get' so would need to be pre-ordered months in advance, or are they widely available at the bigger boutiques/flag-ship stores?

(I'll be buying new in the UK btw).

Also.... any idea of an achievable discount?

I bought two Sports Rolex from one particular AD years ago, and when I picked up the second they offered me -10% (and interest free credit) on a white gold Sub' with no prompting!

Thanks in advance for any pointers.....

Master
    They might not have a 116719 BLRO or 116619LB in stock at your chosen AD, but either would be sent out in a day or two for a customer wanting one.

Just among the few thousand of us here on tz, there is a discretionary discount which AD's are allowed to give on higher value models. You may be able to exceed that if you buy an unworn watch from Europe, which with sums of £20k or more could be a worthwhile saving.

Haywood

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    They might not have a 116719 BLRO or 116619LB in stock at your chosen AD, but either would be sent out in a day or two for a customer wanting one.

Just among the few thousand of us here on tz, there is a discretionary discount which AD's are allowed to give on higher value models. You may be able to exceed that if you buy an unworn watch from Europe, which with sums of £20k or more could be a worthwhile saving.

Haywood

Thanks Haywood......
    Very much appreciated.

Grand Master
    If you're going to go down the gold Rolex route the classic day/date is the only way to go, in yellow gold. Can't see the point in white gold, never understood the appeal.

Paul

I'd love a new yellow gold Submariner.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    If you're going to go down the gold Rolex route the classic day/date is the only way to go, in yellow gold. Can't see the point in white gold, never understood the appeal.

Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post
    I'd love a new yellow gold Submariner.
    Thanks for your comments Gents....

I've always fancied a white gold Sports model but must confess I'm recently developing an admiration for a yellow or even rose gold DayDate 40......

Must be an age thing I reckon!!

Next time I'm 'up in town' I'll hopefully find a few models to try on so I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.....

Master
    My dad wears a yellow gold sub. He had the previous model and last year bought the newer model, have to say it looks fantastic in the flesh, pictures don't do it justice. It's the sunburst dial I think.

I myself never see the allure of white gold either, though I love the blue of the white gold sub.

Haywood has a yellow gold sub for sale at a rather attract price indeed.

Master
    Yellow gold rolex is the future!

Master
    As far as the discount, you'll find yourself in a much better position if you find a shop with one in the window.

If an AD is putting a special order through Rolex UK you might find discounts a little bit stingy.
    If you find a shop with the same £20k+ gold watch gathering dust in their window they will likely be much more pliable and open to a strong discount.

Possibly worth picking up the phone and call around locally to see who has what?

Master
    Could be harder to get a discount if you have to order from an AD altho still push for 10-15%. See Chronext prices too 21% today on Smurf.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Paul
    Go for gold!!

I disagree with Paul, I prefer white gold.

For me, I'd rather others didn't know that I was wearing a gold Rolex!

White gold Pepsi in the window in the Canary Wharf Watches of Switzerland.

Would definitely go for the Pepsi over the sub.

If you're dead set on a gold rolex then get one that's... gold-coloured.

Significant savings can be made on silver-coloured rolex by buying a steel one - with the added advantages of them being lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post

Significant savings can be made on silver-coloured rolex by buying a steel one - with the added advantages of them being lighter.
    Not if you want a new Pepsi or day/date!

Master
    White gold - none of the visual appeal but with all of the scratches.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    White gold Pepsi in the window in the Canary Wharf Watches of Switzerland.

Would definitely go for the Pepsi over the sub.
    Confirmed. I was there beginning of the afternoon and spent some time admiring it. Sadly inaccessible for me.

I love my 41mm Day Date- although a gold Submariner would be nice I have to concede that the president bracelet seals the deal- spending that dollar on gold I really want the best bracelet made.....it's superbly comfortable.

Master
    I may be in the minority but I wouldn't buy a gold sports model with the possible exception of a BLRO or gold Daytona (due to the relative lack of a premium over SS and because I would see it as more like a dress watch) but am quite partial to Day-Dates/gold DJ or similar. Gold and sports style watches don't really work for me!

If you are spending that much though then just go with what you fancy and nevermind what others think!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Not if you want a new Pepsi or day/date!
    In the case of the pepsi, sadly so - the lads at rolex aren't daft!

A day/date can be bought in the actual colour of the metal out of which it is made.

In the case of the pepsi, sadly so - the lads at rolex aren't daft!

A day/date can be bought in the actual colour of the metal out of which it is made.
    My point was you can't get a silver coloured day/date cheaper than white gold.

You can of course also get it in platinum.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    My point was you can't get a silver coloured day/date cheaper than white gold.

You can of course also get it in platinum.
    Which, unlike white gold - or Rolexexesiosor - or whatever they call their proprietary white alloy - actually looks significantly different to steel. Though perhaps not enough so to justify the price beyond it being a vulgar display of wealth - which is kind of the point at that level. And fair play.

Quote Originally Posted by dabear View Post
    Confirmed. I was there beginning of the afternoon and spent some time admiring it. Sadly inaccessible for me.
    Love how unassuming it is, think they did a brilliant job with the shade of red/blue on the bezel.

Master
    For me the clue is in the name; gold, as in gold colour, as in, yes I know gold comes in different colours but the colour you think of when someone says gold is, well, GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by GIB984 View Post
    For me the clue is in the name; gold, as in gold colour, as in, yes I know gold comes in different colours but the colour you think of when someone says gold is, well, GOLD!
    I'm afraid we'll have to agree to differ. :)

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post

Well... the crown looks gold... ;)

Master
    I sometimes wear a white gold Rolex. The 'invisibility' is the whole point....you still get the lovely weight and slight warmth, but without any 'Arthur Daily' bling. I think everose can work, but usually with a strap.
    I don't want people noticing my watches. It is a personal thing, a personal choice, not a way to show-off.

Love this!!! Genuinely LOL'ing!!

Love this too and I actually prefer the looks of the GMT but I've had predominantly Subs as daily wearers for the last few years and I think I'd miss the glidelock clasp....
    Even though I very rarely use it, I do like 'knowing it's there' kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I sometimes wear a white gold Rolex. The 'invisibility' is the whole point....you still get the lovely weight and slight warmth, but without any 'Arthur Daily' bling. I think everose can work, but usually with a strap.
    I don't want people noticing my watches. It is a personal thing, a personal choice, not a way to show-off.
    I absolutely agree with everything you said.

(Although I must confess I would be kind of 'showing off', even if only to myself if that makes any sense?
    .... After all, can there ever be any real 'justification' for wearing any expensive timepiece or driving any expensive car etc?)

Thank you again Gents for all your comments, certainly a first world problem I know.

A trip to London window-shopping beckons methinks.

Weight is a strange one. Can't think of anything else where extra weight (for no functional purpose) is a good thing.

Banned
    What a load of bull it's for the wearer not the starer, I don't give a monkeys what anyone else thinks, obviously you do, to the point it's become a problem.

Ave sum of that.

And this

Last edited by Fords; 19th February 2017 at 19:17.

To me that looks like steel. Why pay (a lot!) more for white gold when it looks like steel. I don't get it at all...

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    Love this!!! Genuinely LOL'ing!!

Love this too and I actually prefer the looks of the GMT but I've had predominantly Subs as daily wearers for the last few years and I think I'd miss the glidelock clasp....
    Even though I very rarely use it, I do like 'knowing it's there' kind of thing.

I absolutely agree with everything you said.

(Although I must confess I would be kind of 'showing off', even if only to myself if that makes any sense?
    .... After all, can there ever be any real 'justification' for wearing any expensive timepiece or driving any expensive car etc?)

Thank you again Gents for all your comments, certainly a first world problem I know.

A trip to London window-shopping beckons methinks.
    Did I read this right? The white gold GMT don't have no glidekock????

Master

Gold Rolex: Is there a 'lead in time'?

Quote Originally Posted by RBear1981 View Post

None of the GMTs have a glidelock.

Master
    Go on Fords, you tell 'em! No arguments are required after those pictures go up for me. I never tire of seeing them!

Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    Ave sum of that.

And this

Awesome!

I so need to try one of these on!

Master
    Bought this the other day, absolutely in love. And I'm only 28 so goes to show that you get guys can pull it off (although WHETHER I pull it off is another question entirely...)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RBear1981 View Post

The GMT & Skydweller have the 5mm comfort link, that's one of the reasons I went for my everose skydweller on leather.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Weight is a strange one. Can't think of anything else where extra weight (for no functional purpose) is a good thing.
    Well, that is true. It doesn't make any sense. But somehow, it does feel good, at least to me. Platinum is even heavier and feels even better. All in the mind, but I am not the only person who finds this. Let's face it, no gold watch makes any rational sense . Most nice things don't. It is pure self indulgence.

Let's face it, no gold watch makes any rational sense . Most nice things don't. It is pure self indulgence.
    Well said that man!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post
    None of the GMTs have a glidelock.
    Wow. Fair play. Just seems like a pretty big omission given price. I take it this because the subs for diving but most people find it to be a great feature and def one that adds value.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    The GMT & Skydweller have the 5mm comfort link, that's one of the reasons I went for my everose skydweller on leather.
    Thanks for clarifying

Deleted
    Last edited by Analogue; 11th September 2017 at 18:57.

Master
    Fwiw, I go through terminal 5 most weeks and they have for the last few weeks always had a white gold GMT Pepsi in stock, at about £22k

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    Go on Fords, you tell 'em! No arguments are required after those pictures go up for me. I never tire of seeing them!
    Here's another. I've owned a few Rolexes now but nothing beats this devastating colour combo.

Master
    Rolex marketing material right there.

I'm absolutely in love with this watch.

Master
    White gold blue sub paired with the SERTI dial that was recently on SC - sacrilege? I can't find evidence of it having been done before but I love the thought of it

The WG Pepsi is stunning. One in the window of AD for £23k.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    Fwiw, I go through terminal 5 most weeks and they have for the last few weeks always had a white gold GMT Pepsi in stock, at about £22k
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
    The WG Pepsi is stunning. One in the window of AD for £23k.
    I'd honestly say it's in the window of every AD I've ever looked in. Definitely not rare.

There must be scores of people who've glanced in, thought wow, perfect GMT etc, and then seen the price.